What's new

My turn for a car buying opinion thread...buying a Ford Raptor vs a regular F-150

This!

If Im correct, tremor package is only 4k option, Most tremor trucks I see are decked out with other options though.

I really wish I custom ordered base 7.3 with tremor package, but I couldnt wait 2-3 months for a truck, oh well. But for the 4k you get 4.30 gears, 35s, limited slip front, and some other stuff. My base f250 with 7.3 had 3.55s and it will cost me 2k to get them changed (i can do gears myself but im not looking for projects). Upside is, can throw an ARB on the front which is better than the limited slip.

Anyway. Yeah tremor if you want 4x4 ready

Yeah, that's pretty cool!

340?cb=20100607180327.jpg

I have a Raptor. I have a serious love/hate relationship with this thing. It sucks donkey balls for towing (8k towing yeah right) this picture is like 7k with my Ultra4 Comanche inside and we just went 15 miles for a car show and it wasn’t fun. It’s got a Cobb Stage 2 tune so it scoots pretty well and for not towing or hauling anything it’s a really nice ride. I wish I also had a beater 3/4 longbed for when I actually need a truck.

photo49695.jpg

We did basically your option 1, 2 years ago. 2015 xlt 25k miles, 7yr/100k mile warranty for $35k.

Xlt packages vary a lot. I'm not even sure what the base xlt has over the xl anymore, aluminum wheels maybe? Out truck has everything a lariat has minus leather, ac seats and individual climate control. At the time, lariats seemed roughly 10k more for the same truck.

If you can get a raptor for $43k, you better do it :flipoff2:

The XLT is like yours, it has everything except leather. If the Raptor was 43k the decision would be easier.

I mean... you were talking about it. The XLT is not exciting you, you've already determined that it's the only option besides the Raptor, and I and at least someone else agrees I saw. And what they're asking for a used XLT is not worth, might as well by the Raptor.

You set it up, then you gave the answer. I am confirming what you want. I happen to think your choice was made on the correct predicates, and that you threw it out there to see if you had any big holes in your theory. You don't. You are not going to beat yourself up about it, if you have a chance to drive a Raptor that you don't care about the 1st scratch on, with no other information, I as a car guy am going to say buy it. A performance car that is all your but is already not pristine but in other ways is brand new. It literally does not get better. You can start romping that fucker right away. Think how much fun that's going to be, driving that big fucker around with all that power. Now go buy it.

Before starting the thread I made the guy an offer on the XLT for his asking price(including the warranty he wanted extra fir)He responded he would likely take it but a family member got the rona and it would be 2-3 weeks before he could meet with me. I tried to send him a deposit and he said to just wait, if I wanted to move on he understood.
Then I had time started 2nd guessing my decision.

I have a Raptor. I have a serious love/hate relationship with this thing. It sucks donkey balls for towing (8k towing yeah right) this picture is like 7k with my Ultra4 Comanche inside and we just went 15 miles for a car show and it wasn’t fun. It’s got a Cobb Stage 2 tune so it scoots pretty well and for not towing or hauling anything it’s a really nice ride. I wish I also had a beater 3/4 longbed for when I actually need a truck.

I was wondering if you could do removable air bags in the rear for towing? That would be a pain also but may be worth it?
I found this https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ptorforum%2Eco m%2Findex%2Ephp%3Fthreads%2F58963%2F&share_tid=589 63&share_fid=17668&share_type=t&link_source=app

FINALLY got a TRUE, removable towing solution..(see pics)

Maybe just replace the factory rear shocks with that style shock?

Last edited:
I don't keep up as much as I used to, sooo many new products, but I seriously doubt that you could or even should get a kit designed for you to take it off and on easily.. maybe you would install temporarily on a long term lease vehicle?

I don't keep up as much as I used to, sooo many new products, but I seriously doubt that you could or even should get a kit designed for you to take it off and on easily.. maybe you would install temporarily on a long term lease vehicle?

I have only installed one set of bags and they could have been pulled of in about 30 minutes. That may be ok if you were doing it once or twice a year I suppose. The link I added above has some first hand imput on adding bags to a Raptor, he didn't like it. He has another solution though.

bags on 150s is no longer advised, so I heard.. but back in the 90s we dropped and bagged everything.. and eventually started on 4x4 applications, but that was mostly showmanship..

My 1st gen Tundra is built as a mini Raptor and it has the same problem with over a foot of soft travel in the back. When I tow with it (rarely, I have a super duty) or have the cap/sleeping platform/weeks food and water/motorcycle on the hitch hauler, etc I use helper springs that are a coil spring that hooks to the spring plate and the other end hooks over the rear spring eye. There is a long bolt that tightens up so it can’t fall out. They can be adjusted for the load and easily removed to do Raptor stuff. I have left them on off-roading and done 2 Detroit Gamblers with them on so they do take some abuse. I can’t remember what they are called. I’ll figure it out and edit.
I put them on because I didn’t think airbags would survive the long travel and regularly going from topped out to bumpstops fast.

Ill bet a set of inboard quick release bags would be simple, especially if you didnt mind a little welding on your new truck. First thought is a small 4-6inch piece of reviever tubing horrizontal on top of the axle housing and on the inside of the frame rails. Then weld some 2x2 to the airbag plates. Then put the Schrader vaves right in the bags. Slide them in, insert hitch pins, and air them up.

Ill bet a set of inboard quick release bags would be simple, especially if you didnt mind a little welding on your new truck. First thought is a small 4-6inch piece of reviever tubing horrizontal on top of the axle housing and on the inside of the frame rails. Then weld some 2x2 to the airbag plates. Then put the Schrader vaves right in the bags. Slide them in, insert hitch pins, and air them up.

This but think up a better way to do it that won't turn into a seized rusty shitshow if you leave the bags on for 2yr.

Day star makes an air bag cup that drops away for long travel applications. There was a guy running them on a long travel GM on the old site.

My 1st gen Tundra is built as a mini Raptor and it has the same problem with over a foot of soft travel in the back. When I tow with it (rarely, I have a super duty) or have the cap/sleeping platform/weeks food and water/motorcycle on the hitch hauler, etc I use helper springs that are a coil spring that hooks to the spring plate and the other end hooks over the rear spring eye. There is a long bolt that tightens up so it can’t fall out. They can be adjusted for the load and easily removed to do Raptor stuff. I have left them on off-roading and done 2 Detroit Gamblers with them on so they do take some abuse. I can’t remember what they are called. I’ll figure it out and edit.
I put them on because I didn’t think airbags would survive the long travel and regularly going from topped out to bumpstops fast.

Are you talking about the road masters? I’ve never heard of them before but seems like an interesting solution. I may have to research that some more, if I could get the truck to ride better with a load I’d like it a lot more.

My Platinum has the "max tow" option and claims a 12,200lb towing capacity but I'm betting that would be really miserable after the first couple miles or a hill whichever comes first. The heaviest thing I'll likely ever tow behind it will be my 63 C10 which should come in around 7-8klbs including the trailer so I'm not to worried about having to tow a really heavy load. It also has the "pro trailer backup assist" for people who don't know how to back up a trailer which I'll use once or twice just to play with it and then I'll go back to backing up my trailers like a regular intelligent human.

Day star makes an air bag cup that drops away for long travel applications. There was a guy running them on a long travel GM on the old site.

You mean that the bag is not captured on both ends?
that’s what I was looking for when I found the carli link above

It also has the "pro trailer backup assist" for people who don't know how to back up a trailer which I'll use once or twice just to play with it and then I'll go back to backing up my trailers like a regular intelligent human.

I'm so happy reading this. One of our trucks has this and it screwed me all up. :laughing:

Same with backup cameras. Everything is opposite for me.

I'm so happy reading this. One of our trucks has this and it screwed me all up. :laughing:

Same with backup cameras. Everything is opposite for me.

Yeah I've driven my wife's explorer with a backup camera for years and I still don't like/use the backup camera except for the last few inches if I'm backing up close to something. I laugh/sigh every time I see someone in a parking lot only looking at their screen and taking forever to back out of a spot. My Platinum has the birdseye view and that just adds a whole other level of what the fuck am I looking at here in the mix so I don't see myself using that either.

Are you talking about the road masters? I’ve never heard of them before but seems like an interesting solution. I may have to research that some more, if I could get the truck to ride better with a load I’d like it a lot more.

Yes, Road Masters.

I dont trust those for the off-roading I do. Plus I would have lost some travel. They may work great for some.

I found a couple Raptor owner reviews on the Roadmasters, they seamed to like them.

It looks like for an additinal $60,000 I can get an extra 100lbs of towing capacity.

you're not a real big math guy, huh?

https://www.thecarconnection.com/ne...these trucks are,, more cylinders, more money.

Neither of these trucks are cheap, and Ford hasn’t announced pricing on the 2021 F-150 Raptor. But the outgoing 2020 Raptor crew cab cost $58,135. The 2021 Ram 1500 TRX costs significantly more at $71,690 because of the Hellcat motor and the upgrades that go with it. More power, more cylinders, more money.

You're not a real big reading comprehension guy, huh? I am looking at a used Raptor it's $48k, when the TRX was mentioned earlier in this thread I looked them up and only found 2 for sale at over $110k thats where the $60k number came from.
Maybe they have one at every dealrship and aren't asking over msrp In that case being a math guy yourself you should be able to adjust those numbers. It looks like $23,690 to me. I have Venmo if you're wanting to shoot me some extra cash.

Top Back Refresh