What's new

My turn for a car buying opinion thread...buying a Ford Raptor vs a regular F-150

I went back and forth on what to buy for the same reasons but looking at slightly lower miles than you are ( wanted to stay under 40k miles). Used raptors with under 40k miles are still $60k plus around here and I didn't want to spend that right now let alone on a used truck. I looked around and found a 17' one owner, 34k mile Platinum F150 that was bought, serviced and sold at the same dealer by an older guy for $40k and bought that yesterday. My next door neighbor is the sales manager but the $40k was the sticker price and not a deal I got cause I knew a guy.

I went back and forth on what to buy for the same reasons but looking at slightly lower miles than you are ( wanted to stay under 40k miles). Used raptors with under 40k miles are still $60k plus around here and I didn't want to spend that right now let alone on a used truck. I looked around and found a 17' one owner, 34k mile Platinum F150 that was bought, serviced and sold at the same dealer by an older guy for $40k and bought that yesterday. My next door neighbor is the sales manager but the $40k was the sticker price and not a deal I got cause I knew a guy.

Yeah, used raptors around here go for a similar price.

OP, do you want a V8 or the ecoboost? That will narrow down your choices some. For what it’s worth, my BIL has a 2019 (I think) 2.7 ecoboost that he loves. Says it pulls his 16’ lowboy like it’s not even there.

I am a fan of the ecoboost after driving one on a trip and around the mountains. I love the sound of a Coyote V8 but I am likely losing my hearing so that doesn't matter much these days. The 2.7's sound like great engines, I haven't driven one yet.

:lmao: Out. I have nothing to offer this conversation.

The interior reminds me of a 2007 Wrangler.
Edit,not so much. Something older though.

I like Toyotas in general but there is no wow factor inside or out. Having said that if I saw the right deal on one I might buy it.

Last edited:
I bought the better half a new car last week. They are wheeling and dealing the sedan market.
I looked at trucks while we walked the lot. Crazy prices and no dealing. I might have put her in a new Honda truck thing if I could have gotten a decent price on a 21'. She didn't like the paddle shifters.
As Joe slowly and effectively locks down the country, gas at $5 a gallon and 13% interests rates are not that far fetched.

Funny, you just reminded me of the irate “oil field bust” speculators, waiting to cash in when oil plummeted last spring. We will see $5 gas this summer, just as we did under ‘bammy.

I’m too young to recall what drove the interest rates in the 80’s. My gut says that the economy will not recover or surpass the Trump economy under forgetful Joe. There was at least talk of raising interest rates pre-COVID, as the economy was doing well. Had he gone to a 2nd term, we may have seen it.

Do you use the adaptive cruise much? If you do how is it? The 18's have stop and go which might be nice.

i would buy a new one with the 5.0 and a set of turbos. or at least a supercharged one. i cant remember that dealers name, pretty decent on the prices.

Just bought this to replace my 2020 pos dodge at work. Oh fuck it gave me a hard on. :smokin:
20210219_125049.jpg - Click image for larger version Name:	20210219_125049.jpg Views:	0 Size:	420.7 KB ID:	322999

Personal truck is a 12 Raptor with the 6.2L It has been great.

Hasn't lost any value since I bought it, has stupid low miles on it though.

Things to consider with the Raptor:
Shocks are stupid expensive for obvious reasons and should be replaced - rebuilt every 50-60K.
They are a bit of a PITA in city traffic and tight spaces, due to the width. Out in the country this isn't a big deal.
Gas mileage isn't as good as a standard F150. I get 12.5 MPG, the ecoboost Raptors do better, but it's still not great.

I would go with a raptor again or an F250 with a 7.3 and the Tremor package.

Dodge? Nice interior, 5.7 ok, they don't hold their value as well as a Ford.

What truck do you prefer?

I like my '18 Ram 2500, 5.7L Tradesman. For what it's worth, I paid $30k for it with 24k miles January 2nd of last year and it's worth $33k today with 30k miles. :flipoff2:

But yeah, I'm just yanking your chain. :stirthepot:

Either truck would serve you well. If you need to tow a lot get the XLT. If not, get the Raptor and rock it. Was the 450hp 3.5L available that year?

Either truck would serve you well. If you need to tow a lot get the XLT. If not, get the Raptor and rock it. Was the 450hp 3.5L available that year?

Yes that is the first year with it. I don't think they built the Raptor in 15 or 16. Car and Driver got a 5.1 0-60 time. That's pretty damn quick for a full size crew cab on 35's.

Last edited:
hail damage? thats a ruined truck

Works perfect and it’s usually dirty, doesn’t bother me. It’s a full blown work truck with a topper and rack I was actually looking for a hail damaged one, the bonus was that Jose used the insurance money for upgrades and it didn’t increase the truck’s value

Do you use the adaptive cruise much? If you do how is it? The 18's have stop and go which might be nice.

That’s just about the only option this truck doesn’t have for some reason. I did however rent a Flex a couple years ago for a trip that had it and I had a love hate relationship with it. It’s a nice feature other than it took to long to speed back for my liking up after the vehicle in front was out of the way and I found myself still stepping on the throttle a lot to get back up to speed quicker. That could just be because I’m usually moving way faster than one should on a road trip but that was really my only complaint with it in 2k miles.

My truck has the start/stop but I haven’t owned it long enough to have feelings about it yet. It can be turned off with a tap of a button on the dash though and honestly what little I have driven it I really didn’t even notice it starting and stopping even with the radio off and the hvac on low speed.

My Raptor is one of my favorite trucks I have ever owned. Terrible gas mileage, but absolutely fantastic a smileage. Mine is the Roush Supercharged version at 590 hp. It is not a good vehicle to tow a heavier trailer. I use my F250 for that. The Raptor and the f250 have both been absolutely reliable.

You obviously want to buy the Raptor then sell it in a year, so do that.

We did basically your option 1, 2 years ago. 2015 xlt 25k miles, 7yr/100k mile warranty for $35k.

Xlt packages vary a lot. I'm not even sure what the base xlt has over the xl anymore, aluminum wheels maybe? Out truck has everything a lariat has minus leather, ac seats and individual climate control. At the time, lariats seemed roughly 10k more for the same truck.

If you can get a raptor for $43k, you better do it :flipoff2:

Nissan? Nope I don't care for the way they look and it seams like Nissans lose their value fast.
Toyota? Great truck, holds it's value, too small for what I need so no for right now.
GMC? 5.3 is ok, interior ok, they look decent.
Dodge? Nice interior, 5.7 ok, they don't hold their value as well as a Ford.
Ford? Looks, performance, nice interior and they hold their value pretty well.

What truck do you prefer?

A Tundra is too small? BRB I need to take my skid steer off the trailer

Thanks dad!

I mean... you were talking about it. The XLT is not exciting you, you've already determined that it's the only option besides the Raptor, and I and at least someone else agrees I saw. And what they're asking for a used XLT is not worth, might as well by the Raptor.

You set it up, then you gave the answer. I am confirming what you want. I happen to think your choice was made on the correct predicates, and that you threw it out there to see if you had any big holes in your theory. You don't. You are not going to beat yourself up about it, if you have a chance to drive a Raptor that you don't care about the 1st scratch on, with no other information, I as a car guy am going to say buy it. A performance car that is all your but is already not pristine but in other ways is brand new. It literally does not get better. You can start romping that fucker right away. Think how much fun that's going to be, driving that big fucker around with all that power. Now go buy it.

I mean... you were talking about it. The XLT is not exciting you, you've already determined that it's the only option besides the Raptor, and I and at least someone else agrees I saw. And what they're asking for a used XLT is not worth, might as well by the Raptor.

You set it up, then you gave the answer. I am confirming what you want. I happen to think your choice was made on the correct predicates, and that you threw it out there to see if you had any big holes in your theory. You don't. You are not going to beat yourself up about it, if you have a chance to drive a Raptor that you don't care about the 1st scratch on, with no other information, I as a car guy am going to say buy it. A performance car that is all your but is already not pristine but in other ways is brand new. It literally does not get better. You can start romping that fucker right away. Think how much fun that's going to be, driving that big fucker around with all that power. Now go buy it.

X2. I have a regular F-150. Wish I had the Raptor with my driveway.

Works perfect and it’s usually dirty, doesn’t bother me. It’s a full blown work truck with a topper and rack I was actually looking for a hail damaged one, the bonus was that Jose used the insurance money for upgrades and it didn’t increase the truck’s value

Surprised how insurance paid him out without a salvage title.

If its a dirty work truck then i see that working just fine. I just hate body damage

I would go with a raptor again or an F250 with a 7.3 and the Tremor package.

This!

If Im correct, tremor package is only 4k option, Most tremor trucks I see are decked out with other options though.

I really wish I custom ordered base 7.3 with tremor package, but I couldnt wait 2-3 months for a truck, oh well. But for the 4k you get 4.30 gears, 35s, limited slip front, and some other stuff. My base f250 with 7.3 had 3.55s and it will cost me 2k to get them changed (i can do gears myself but im not looking for projects). Upside is, can throw an ARB on the front which is better than the limited slip.

Anyway. Yeah tremor if you want 4x4 ready

Top Back Refresh