What's new

My turn for a car buying opinion thread...buying a Ford Raptor vs a regular F-150

Mr.Ratbastard

Member Number
I have been looking at 2015 and up F-150 crew cabs. What I am currently considering, 2018 40k mile XLT is 36k, a 2015 70k mile Lariat 36k, a 2018 75k mile Platinum 39k, 2018 40k mile Lariat/ Platinum 43k or a 2017 65- 70k mile Raptor for 48k. The smartest for long term may be the XLT that has a 125k Ford warranty. Bumping up in price I am thinking the Raptor may be a smarter choice than the others because the depreciation rate is less than 1/2 on it.
I want to keep it long term but my track record for doing that isn't great so selling in a year is possible and taking the least hit is a consideration. We probably will average 10-12k miles a year.

Opinions? Any first hand experience with a Raptor? All the prices are crazy, gas is going up but trucks are popular and new ones aren't cheap so who knows what the market will do.

Commuter, or "truck"?

Raptor for "car" use, XLT otherwise ( because warranty)

Raptor will probably hold more value long term.

That said, I daily an 18 y/o Dodge, so theres that...:flipoff2:

You are confused about which ford to buy. I am confused about why any one would buy a ford.

Nissan? Nope I don't care for the way they look and it seams like Nissans lose their value fast.
Toyota? Great truck, holds it's value, too small for what I need so no for right now.
GMC? 5.3 is ok, interior ok, they look decent.
Dodge? Nice interior, 5.7 ok, they don't hold their value as well as a Ford.
Ford? Looks, performance, nice interior and they hold their value pretty well.

What truck do you prefer?

Raptor has 3300 less towing capacity than a normal Furd 150?

no thanks. i dont even like Fords, but the Raptor is pretty cool. i dont know if its worth the price tag cool.

Why not just buy a used lightning?

Commuter, or "truck"?

Raptor for "car" use, XLT otherwise ( because warranty)

Raptor will probably hold more value long term.

That said, I daily an 18 y/o Dodge, so theres that...:flipoff2:

Trip vehicle, run around town and occasional towing. The 8,000 lb capacity should be ok.

Raptor has 3300 less towing capacity than a normal Furd 150?

no thanks. i dont even like Fords, but the Raptor is pretty cool. i dont know if its worth the price tag cool.

Why not just buy a used lightning?

I am pretty sure the suspension is the limiting factor on towing capacity. A 2004 lightning standard cab?

5.7L Tundra?

I had an 08 and 12 Tundra Crewmax with the 5.7 and 4.30 gears. Awesome trucks. After the second one I bought a used 2010 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 and 3.92 gears.
The Tundras outperformed the Ram in every way, it handled my 8,500 travel trailer better than the Ram handled my 4,800 lb (loaded) cargo trailer.

Reactions: DMG
A raptor is the most amazing vehicle you can buy for offroad use. I have yet to see an offroad race with the Raptor vs TRX, maybe something like the Glen Hellen MX track. 2017 was the first year with the Al body, and 3" shocks, they're amazing offroad and with a decent tune it's easy to get them over 500hp. But they drink a lot of fuel, like 1970's Big Block fuel, and it really needs premium. But if you can afford it, they're awsome.

Reactions: DMG
wait, you can seriously buy a ram pickup for over $100k :eek: :lmao:

wow. holy hell.

i'd get the non-raptor, because for $8k you can make whatever you want into one.

I thought only Gm had $100k trucks

If you got the money to burn I’d say get the raptor. I’m happy with my 15 f150 though. Wish I could back a year ago and buy another one

81CF3D97-513C-43E5-8DDC-E34E5B4B938A.png

How the hell do you multi quote:laughing:
Wood's you should definstely ask your dad.
Fullsizecherokee, I wish I could find a deal like that these days.
Roc Doc, I have read they do ok with 87 but premium is preffered. I hooefully would be content without a tune even though it would be fun.

if I were spending the $$, i'd probably go the Raptor solely because they seem to hold their value quite well. All trucks are, but I can't see getting the return on $8k of upgrades to a F150 versus spending the extra $8k on a raptor.

then i'd call my insurance company for a quote, and keep my 2002 Escalade EXT :laughing:

How the hell do you multi quote:laughing:
Wood's you should definstely ask your dad.
Fullsizecherokee, I wish I could find a deal like that these days.
Roc Doc, I have read they do ok with 87 but premium is preffered. I hooefully would be content without a tune even though it would be fun.

Me: This guy wants to know your thoughts on buying a Ford Raptor.

Dad: Whats his boyfriend say about it

Well. There's your answer. I'd post a screenshot, but I'm on a brick phone.

Irate speculators called it first! Are you still waiting for the auto bubble to burst, from sub-prime lending?

I bought the better half a new car last week. They are wheeling and dealing the sedan market.
I looked at trucks while we walked the lot. Crazy prices and no dealing. I might have put her in a new Honda truck thing if I could have gotten a decent price on a 21'. She didn't like the paddle shifters.
As Joe slowly and effectively locks down the country, gas at $5 a gallon and 13% interests rates are not that far fetched.

OP, do you want a V8 or the ecoboost? That will narrow down your choices some. For what it’s worth, my BIL has a 2019 (I think) 2.7 ecoboost that he loves. Says it pulls his 16’ lowboy like it’s not even there.

Top Back Refresh