What's new

My Marsfab buggy

How wide is this chassis where the door bars meet the B pillar?
At the base of the seats it's 49.5" and at the shoulders it's 53.5"

That's measured between the B-post.

I'm 6'4" so I don't really fit in "small" chassis buggies and even some normal chassis.

Here is Chris's comments from another forum about the chassis

"I wish this could be narrower. The Toyota transfer case is tall and the output flanges is up high. I literally have the sides of the seats within a half inch of touching the case. The bottom of the case sits almost on the floor of the belly and the seats still sit over 10" off the floor. Unfortunately the only way I could have made it narrower would have been to mount the seats 6" higher throwing off the whole proportions of the chassis. In hindsight I probably would have leaned the b-pillars in at the top a few more degrees to give the illusion of the chassis being narrower but I didn't want the drivers head to be unprotected in a rollover."

So 53.5" inside the tube?

Thats identical to my first gen Toyota between the doors.

I was just talking to a buddy about packaging Toyota cases inside a 51" outside chassis.

Sounds like he may just have to mount the seats higher.

Now it was done at Marsfab and time to take it home. Chris did everything on the buggy except for paint and wiring.

PXL_20220104_191618805.jpg
PXL_20220104_222614700.jpg

I would never have guessed 696#.

Purely out of my own curiosity, would you have guessed it weighed more or less?
Less. Only b/c the one in my avatar is light enough that me and a buddy can carry it around, flip it over, etc. and while it hasnt' been weighed, (I just got one of those Amazon hoist scales, so I should in the future), it doesnt' seem like it could be close to 700 lbs. Granted, my buddy is an ox and I'm decently strong for an old man...just doesn't seem that it could be that heavy.

Less. Only b/c the one in my avatar is light enough that me and a buddy can carry it around, flip it over, etc. and while it hasnt' been weighed, (I just got one of those Amazon hoist scales, so I should in the future), it doesnt' seem like it could be close to 700 lbs. Granted, my buddy is an ox and I'm decently strong for an old man...just doesn't seem that it could be that heavy.
Makes sense all around. Great description of your buggy carrying team. :lmao:

It's almost all 1.75" .120, the rock slider tube is 1.75" .188 with a few 1.50" .120 in it as support tubes. Plus the entire belly has a piece of 1/4" plate welded on.

I was able to roll it over in my shop by myself and I'm definitely not an ox (I'm 185lbs).

I've been trying to find someone with racecar scales so I can weigh the complete buggy.

It's almost all 1.75" .120, the rock slider tube is 1.75" .188 with a few 1.50" .120 in it as support tubes. Plus the entire belly has a piece of 1/4" plate welded on.

I was able to roll it over in my shop by myself and I'm definitely not an ox (I'm 185lbs).

I've been trying to find someone with racecar scales so I can weigh the complete buggy.
Totally makes sense with 1/4" plate belly and being 1.75" OD mostly as well as some .188 wall mixed in. Also, the chassis in my avatar is only 48" wide as well as being really small tubing (which I advised against when we built it....long story as it morphed from a Busa powerplant to an LS, lol).

Is the header wrap a cloth/fabric or is it an actual metal (aluminum maybe?) shield you adapted to work? Where did you source it? I know there's a place that does custom metal shields, but can't remember the name.

I'm guessing these are wraps though based on the muffler(s)....or is that middle one actually like a cat?

Is the header wrap a cloth/fabric or is it an actual metal (aluminum maybe?) shield you adapted to work? Where did you source it? I know there's a place that does custom metal shields, but can't remember the name.

I'm guessing these are wraps though based on the muffler(s)....or is that middle one actually like a cat?
It's all types of wrap. I'll look back through my purchase history on eBay and Amazon and find out exactly what I used.

The manifold wrap is actually a metal exterior layer over some type of fiberglass or similar insulation. It does a very good job on heat retention.

It has 2 mufflers, a bullet type just behind the driver seat and a single in dual out at the back

It's all types of wrap. I'll look back through my purchase history on eBay and Amazon and find out exactly what I used.

The manifold wrap is actually a metal exterior layer over some type of fiberglass or similar insulation. It does a very good job on heat retention.

It has 2 mufflers, a bullet type just behind the driver seat and a single in dual out at the back
Awesome on having 2....I'm going LS on the next few builds and I HATE how loud the V8s usually are.

Ok, looked back and found all the heat management products I used.

Exhaust manifold is Heatshield Products Header Armor.

Both mufflers are wrapped in DEI Muffler Shield kits.

Rest of the exhaust is just cheap header wrap from eBay/Amazon.

Interior panels and firewall have Thermotec adhesive-back heat shield on the back/bottom sides.

The Header Armor and Muffler Shields were a little pricey but honestly they were worth every penny as was the Thermotec adhesive-back on all the panels. No heat issues inside the buggy at all.

PXL_20220321_175956205.jpg
PXL_20220321_180001375.jpg

Sean I think the other product you're thinking about is Header Shield, that's a company that you send your parts to and they "wrap" it in a metal shielding. I didn't know about that company back when I did my exhaust, however I'm still very pleased with what I was able to diy with off the shelf products.

Sean I think the other product you're thinking about is Header Shield, that's a company that you send your parts to and they "wrap" it in a metal shielding. I didn't know about that company back when I did my exhaust, however I'm still very pleased with what I was able to diy with off the shelf products.
Probably waaay less expensive the way you did it too....

Probably waaay less expensive the way you did it too....
I'm sure it was, although I have no clue what that company would charge.

Another thing that I think helps keep temps down on mine, is I don't have muffler under the floor that can be a big heat sink. The bullet muffler is behind the driver seat but it's out in the open and let's the heat escape rather than being trapped under the interior panels.

Another thing that I think helps keep temps down on mine, is I don't have muffler under the floor that can be a big heat sink. The bullet muffler is behind the driver seat but it's out in the open and let's the heat escape rather than being trapped under the interior panels.
Smart.

man that thing sounds GOOOOODDDDDD!!!! I had to go back to the first page see what motor that was.

What coating system did you use for the chassis and axles? It looks great.

Top Back Refresh