What's new

My Marsfab buggy

untchabl

Member Number
Buggy was completed almost a year ago, so build thread is not in real time

I started out trying to build a cheap Sami buggy about 5+ years ago. Long story short, after collecting lots of parts and not getting much beyond a basic roller, I gave up and threw in the towel on that build.

I'm not a "builder", I prefer wheeling over building. So I decided to take all my parts and have a buggy built for me.

Easy decision after that was to have Chris at Marsfab Offroad do it. Chris does mostly one off, custom builds and doesn't mind more "oddball" drivetrain setups like I have.

So I dropped off the first trailer load of parts and he got started.

IMG_20210517_105630.jpg
PXL_20210521_174250887.jpg
PXL_20210521_174949336.jpg
PXL_20210521_174917300.jpg

Quick parts list rundown
  • Suzuki 2.0/4-speed auto/Tracker to Toyota doubler with 4.7 in Toyota t-case
  • TG Tacoma width front axle, hp 4.88 spool, RCVs, Front Range keyed knuckles and upgraded trunnions. PSC DE ram
  • IFS rear 4.88 spool, disc brakes
  • Sway Away air shocks 2.5 front and 2.0 rear
  • 40" Irok stickies
  • Radesigns VX shifter

Last edited:
Sweet. I love it.

I have a samurai and have thought about going full tube chassis/buggy with it. I’ll be watching.

Where did you get the adapter? I feel like an adapter like that could really open up possibilities for zuk drive trains and even building track kicks.

Where did you get the adapter? I feel like an adapter like that could really open up possibilities for zuk drive trains and even building track kicks.
Keith Rice on Facebook. He modifies the stock Tracker t-case and makes an adapter for either d300 or Toyota t-case.

I think I've heard the name, but guy seems to come and go.

How do you like the 1.8/4.7 combo?
No complaints with the combo. My previous buggy was a 2-seater clone of the old Low Budget Pimpin transaxle buggy from back in the day on Pirate. So I hated the lack of gear reduction in that. It's a top shift Yota case with TG 4.7's, RCV 23-spline output and TG twin sticks.

I'm a technical crawler type of guy, which isn't too common in the southeast, but so far the buggy has done extremely well on the few trips I've been able to go on.

I got everything from Keith back in 2018 and had no issues with him. Sent him my stock Tracker t-case and he modified it and made the adapter. He was making everything as it was ordered so it took a few weeks to get it but he told me that up front.

Last edited:
Glad to see this posted over here. This is a GREAT build and the finished product is as clean or cleaner than the fab work posted thus far!!

B pillar X was next, along with a fuel cell mount. The little 2.0 isn't very thirsty so I went with a 5 gallon fuel cell. Decided to go with the natural color so I could see the fuel level.

Ideally an 8 gallon cell would have been the perfect capacity however we couldn't find any cells with dimensions that would work. Later on you'll see that we added a mount to carry a 2.5 gallon fuel jug for larger parks where the 5 gallon might not be enough.

IMG_20210701_015036.jpg
IMG_20210701_015031.jpg
IMG_20210701_015046.jpg
IMG_20210701_015041.jpg
IMG_20210701_015048.jpg

Rear tube work, rear axle truss, shock mounts, TK1 swaybar and exhaust were all finished next.

Buggy has 2 mufflers, first is a Flowmaster bullet then a Magnaflow single in dual out that I had from a 99 Trans Am. It's 2.5" from the header back which is overkill for a 4-banger but it's actually very mellow and pretty quiet overall. 4 cylinders don't really sound good, so 2 mufflers was definitely the right decision.

The dual exit exhaust is something that you really don't see on many buggies and I'm glad I took that muffler with the pile of parts and Chris had the idea to use it.

IMG_20210707_161633.jpg
IMG_20210707_161626.jpg
IMG_20210707_161631.jpg
IMG_20210707_161635.jpg
IMG_20210707_161629.jpg

B pillar X was next, along with a fuel cell mount. The little 2.0 isn't very thirsty so I went with a 5 gallon fuel cell. Decided to go with the natural color so I could see the fuel level.

Ideally an 8 gallon cell would have been the perfect capacity however we couldn't find any cells with dimensions that would work. Later on you'll see that we added a mount to carry a 2.5 gallon fuel jug for larger parks where the 5 gallon might not be enough.

That is a sweet little fuel tank for a light wieght buggy.

It's pretty easy to carry a 2.5 or 3 gal can when needed. Or just top off at the truck after each trail. A samurai only has a 10 gal tank and you can usually wheel all weekend with that, so 5 probably goes a long way?

It's pretty easy to carry a 2.5 or 3 gal can when needed. Or just top off at the truck after each trail. A samurai only has a 10 gal tank and you can usually wheel all weekend with that, so 5 probably goes a long way?
I like that it's natural so you can see the fuel level.

I've got a couple other guys I wheel with that also have 2.0 powered buggies and they can wheel all day on less than 5 gallons.

You mentioning the Lo-Budget Pimpin got me sucked back into that thread. Cool to see a track/kick yota doubler being used

I really liked the transaxle buggy concept, take any cheapo shitbox commuter FWD car and make a buggy out of it.

I really liked the transaxle buggy concept, take any cheapo shitbox commuter FWD car and make a buggy out of it.
After owning one, I'm not a fan. The new buggy is way more capable and better in every way except for visibility, which was the only good thing about the transaxle buggy.

Top Back Refresh