What's new

Musk and Twitter

from the article:

Mr. Musk along with former Twitter Chief Executive Jack Dorsey, who is number seven on the list, are the only individuals among the top 10 shareholders in the company.

The rest of the spots are occupied by financial institutions.

is wallstreet starting to worry about losing some power?
wallstreet is looking to cash out on the meme stock, that's all

The way I understand it they'd issue more stock and sell it at a discounted rate, thereby reducing the percentage that Musk owned, making him less important.
Didn't they do that to some tycoon in the 1800s? Vanderbilt or something.

They don't want Musk to purchase any more of the stock so they've created an option for existing shareholders to purchase more stock at lower than market price if someone (Musk) buys more than 15% of the company. Basically they're hoping current investors buy more to dilute the percentage of the company Musk's purchases make up. It hurts the company though because it devalues the stock and increases the amount of existing shares.

Frankly it should be illegal since it's essentially shorting your own stock to keep someone from buying a controlling interest. Don't want someone to do that? Don't be public.

IIRC, yes that did happen.
Ah, I don't think it was quite the same though.

He was infamously involved in the Erie Railroad War of 1868, when he battled Wall Street traders Jim Fisk and Jay Gould for financial control of the Erie Railroad. The Erie was controlled by Daniel Drew, who conspired with Vanderbilt to buy up the majority of shares in the railroad. In response, Gould and Fisk issued additional, watered down shares, which Vanderbilt continued to buy. Newspapers of the era reveled in the fight between the robber barons. The Erie Railroad War came to a bizarre close when Gould and Fisk gained ultimate control of the railroad, pushing Drew to retire while paying back Vanderbilt for his watered down stocks.

Undeterred, Vanderbilt went on to other endeavors, and was the driving force behind the construction of Manhattan’s Grand Central Depot, which opened in 1871. The station eventually was torn down and replaced by present-day Grand Central Terminal, which opened in 1913.

so whats to keep Musk from buying more of those stocks? Ie they get cheaper it's just a better deal for him? Seems like it would only work against someone with more limited fund then Musk.

so whats to keep Musk from buying more of those stocks? Ie they get cheaper it's just a better deal for him? Seems like it would only work against someone with more limited fund then Musk.
Unless sold to a certain individual?

wasn't aware you could set stock prices for say Musk vs everyone else. As a shareholder he would have access to those cheaper stock just like anyone else?
I have no idea how any of this works. :laughing:

wasn't aware you could set stock prices for say Musk vs everyone else. As a shareholder he would have access to those cheaper stock just like anyone else?
Correct however at the same time all cof his currently own shares take a huge hit in value. I also dont see how this precents him from still buying 15%.

Musk also isnt someone id want to fuck with financially. I could see him droping some pretty decent money just to say fuck you to someone he doesnt like. He also said he already has a backup plan.

Musk's money is going to have a tough time going up against Vanguard money.

This is all just showing how bad twitter must be suppressing voices. What we think is going on and what really going on must be miles apart.

IMO, the twitter board is just stalling. Some of the bigger shareholders want more than what musk offered by saying it's actual value is higher. they have a problem that if he moves on and sells his 10% or whatever it is, creates it's own value problem.

I'm curious if this makes waves in the entire market, either way. things aren't the most stable right now

They say only the share holders they pick get the discount.

IMO, the twitter board is just stalling. Some of the bigger shareholders want more than what musk offered by saying it's actual value is higher. they have a problem that if he moves on and sells his 10% or whatever it is, creates it's own value problem.

I'm curious if this makes waves in the entire market, either way. things aren't the most stable right now
They're trying to claim it's worth more, but it's not going to hold up. They recently had Goldman Sachs do an evaluation of the stock worth and it came back significantly less than what it's currently trading at.

I have no idea how any of this works. :laughing:
that's 2 of us. :homer:
Correct however at the same time all cof his currently own shares take a huge hit in value. I also dont see how this precents him from still buying 15%.

Musk also isnt someone id want to fuck with financially. I could see him droping some pretty decent money just to say fuck you to someone he doesnt like. He also said he already has a backup plan.
exactly, he could buy the whole company how many time over? I don't see this as being an effective tool against him.

that's 2 of us. :homer:

exactly, he could buy the whole company how many time over? I don't see this as being an effective tool against him.
If it lets something like Vanguard buy tons of shares at a steep discount they can price him Musk out of continuing to purchase huge portions of the company pretty quickly. Musk is individually extremely wealthy, but Vanguard dwarfs the shit out of his personal net worth. Their overall investment portfolio is worth trillions.

If it lets something like Vanguard buy tons of shares at a steep discount they can price him Musk out of continuing to purchase huge portions of the company pretty quickly. Musk is individually extremely wealthy, but Vanguard dwarfs the shit out of his personal net worth. Their overall investment portfolio is worth trillions.

I'd bet Vanguards investors won't tolerate that very long.

Some further reading on this, it seems this is a defensive tactic while they consider their options. The "pill" doesnt kick in until someone gains 15% of the shares. So if none of the big boys buy more then it wont happen. I think its a posture to prevent Musk from acquiring more shares for a time period.

Many are saying they are going to sell to Musk as they basically have to.
I can imagine how much anger is flying at the board meetings. The board is fucked if they do this they are fucked if they don’t. :lmao: Both situations I see the board getting fired. :lmao:

I’m on team musk on this war. I just can imagine him sitting in the couch smoking a joint with his buddies and says you want to see if I can buy Twitter which starts out as a joke. Then the crazy fucker actually tries to do it.

Top Back Refresh