What's new

MNR 4600 class 2021 U4 Bronco build

Have you looked into running an atlas yet?
Yes. And the that’s the first problem we don’t have a solution to. When we got it we assumed it would take the same t-case as the V6 and that an atlas would be an easy install. We called Advance to order one and they told us there isn’t an adapter to go behind the manual trans. Sine the manual trans is such a small market they will not be making an adapter to go behind it.

The 4cyl doesn’t have any torque at idle so you’re right it’s not an idle around crawler. It’s pretty easy to stall it. The electric shifted t-case is going to be a problem.

How much space you got to work with under the body of that? You could push it back 2.5", adapt the transfer case bolt patterns with a thick ring and cram a male to female spline stub in there.

How much space you got to work with under the body of that? You could push it back 2.5", adapt the transfer case bolt patterns with a thick ring and cram a male to female spline stub in there.
Tons of room. Dad has a new atlas and we have machinists at our disposal. Branik or Summit will make me spud shafts if I need them.

Just haven’t had time to pull the t-case and get to work figuring it out. Dad keeps the big car torn up in between races so we’re always working on it instead.

Last edited:
The only thing I have to return at the end is the tub and frame. But it is a little bit of a let down. When we agreed to play the game I asked because I know some magazine guys who’ve had to return the shell to be crushed. I asked if we were going to have to give it back and the answer was no. The contract says otherwise. I’m not turning back now, we’ll see at the end what has to happen.
I handle the pre-series for an OEM in NAR.
I'm sure he guys who told you that you could keep it were marketing. I (production and lifecycle) have to chase people around the world to put my hands back on the shells and it can be time consuming. I've made calls to people who were still using the cars and basically had to tell them we were picking them up in the next 2 weeks.

Company retains the ownership of the vehicle, you don't.

The fucked up part is that they have to be sent back to the US. so we pay to fly shells from anywhere back here.
We have to take pics of the cars before and after crushing, including VIN number. Said pics get sent to gov.
Crushing has to happen in a accredited facility.
Replacing them with beer cans isn't possible.

There is a process however to extend the vehicle usage time up to 7 years. We use it for long term QA testing. Good luck getting the customs and paperpushers to agree. I know of a racer who tried and got shut down.

The first thing I gotta address is what I said I was going to do. Vs what I am now going to do instead. I already told everyone here that there was no way I could do the portals like the other guys have. If it’s any secret to any of you I’ll tell you for sure now. The 74weld portals are $10,000 dollars…. EACH! And that is NOT every part required to use them. The unit bearings and brakes are a separate cost in addition to the portals themselves. So the portals alone are in the neighborhood of $22,000 dollars all in for a pair of them to run up front.

C0F83531-7FA5-4B88-9B2A-3AB8879C39DA.jpeg

So there they are. I said there was no way I could do it but I kinda got peer pressured into it. The reality of the situation is this. I can’t waste this opportunity with Ford. Maybe this is a one and done deal. Maybe if I play my cards right I get to keep racing with Ford factory backing. I talked myself into the portals for the fact that I need to be competitive against true professional drivers. Vaughn and Brad make their living racing. Not having portals was gonna be like bringing a knife to a gun fight. So if you’re disappointed that I already jumped the shark and went the portals route, I don’t blame ya. For the time being it seems like the right move.

Those are Spidertrax 47 spline 6 on 6 1/2 trophy truck unit bearings. These will also be used in conjunction with 47/40 spline RCV shafts with the giant CV’s everyone refers to as Rockwell sized.

very nice... but seems like the safety wire is going to allow quite a bit of movement before it catches... assuming standard right had threads??

Tons of room. I have a new 4.3 atlas and we have machinists at our disposal. Branik or Summit will make me spud shafts if I need them.

Just haven’t had time to pull the t-case and get to work figuring it out. Dad keeps the big car torn up in between races so we’re always working on it instead.
Make 2!

I'd look into making something like this.

Awesome to see this build, thanks for posting here. And it's cool to see some detail on the factory relationship that you hardly ever get to hear about.

From the outside it seemed like many aftermarket mfgs had factory dimensional data before even getting their hands on their first Broncos, which implies they either got it straight from Ford via an upfitter program, or through SEMA (which probably means Ford, just indirectly). Most of it was frame and body, but with your standing you may be able to request data on the transmission (or at least the tailhousing). Even data on the transfer case would be sufficient for you to design an adapter off of.

I was going to offer laser scanning services if we can figure out logistics for my to get my hands on a trans of tcase out here in CA, but talking to Ford about getting factory data would definitely be the preference for ya.

Either way, excited to see what ya do with this thing :beer:

super excited to see how all this works for sure, very interesting to see all the behind the scenes things of what it takes to make a race team.

so glad you do have the build going on here, so darn cool. when you get to the merchandising and t-shirts i am in for a couple for sure

again awesome:beer:

I’m now begging for more pit crew. Want to come freeze your ass off in JV to do pit stuff on EMC day? We’re pretty short staffed to have 2 cars in the same race. I did the SXS before because they always race a different day or time.

Myself and friend Austin can and will come out with our 2 broncos and help in the pits, running parts, or whatever. We dont know shit about fuck but are killer at making things work with all the wrong tools and parts. Plus pits full of broncos would look cool

I’m now begging for more pit crew. Want to come freeze your ass off in JV to do pit stuff on EMC day? We’re pretty short staffed to have 2 cars in the same race. I did the SXS before because they always race a different day or time.
I'm about an hour away from JV and KOH in February. You need crew I can be there, just let me know.

What an enticing invite!:lmao:

I've been kind of looking for the smallest excuse to do another KOH trip, you know I've spent a bunch of time being on the logistics part of race efforts. Probably wouldn't have my rig out there but if I do it like I usually do, I'll at least have an SUV of some sort for getting around, which is maybe more useful anyway. I'd be down for that :beer:

Thanks guys. If your serious in a few months when it’s getting close I’ll pm you. Gotta focus on getting it to the start line first. The next 4 months is gonna go quick.

Thanks guys. If your serious in a few months when it’s getting close I’ll pm you. Gotta focus on getting it to the start line first. The next 4 months is gonna go quick.
Absolutely serious. Just let me know what you need me to bring. I can run chase in the sxs too if necessary.

I might be down to help out - gotta figure out what I'm doing this year. Will monitor thread and respond accordingly at a later time:grinpimp:

PM inbound…..

Have you seen spicer has 32 spline inners with 35spline mid shafts to work with thier ultimate diffs?

Have you found any pricing on thier ultimate diffs? Or do you have a line on them?

They also make a bolt in 60 for the rear

PM sent.

Now I want to go back out to KOH, not to race but just see this thing in action!

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh