What's new

MMW Dana 300 waiting list

Any idea what happened? I have mmw Dana 300 waiting on an atlas to replace it but will reuse it in another project probably.
I just don’t think it was machined right. It always leaked and re sealing it didn’t fix leaks. At KOH it locked up. Not sure if because low oil, because it likes to spit the rear output seal out of the housing. It doesn’t look to me like it broke whole teeth off of gears, they look like filings now. The center gear cluster thrusted into the case halves is why Josh is giving up on it.

IMG_5743.jpeg

Maybe I need to read more but what are the issues that the MMW case cause? I thought the product was good they just couldn't deliver. I'll be honest and say that I was considering it.
For $3,900 dollars? Why? I’ve got several friends with MMW cases. The portal crawler guys seem to be having good luck with theirs. 3000 pound cars with tiny 4 cylinders and 10:1 axle ratios.
is the case you posted above that's all blown up the one that's posted for sale?
No no no no. The case I’m posting pics of is not for sale.

I just don’t think it was machined right. It always leaked and re sealing it didn’t fix leaks. At KOH it locked up. Not sure if because low oil, because it likes to spit the rear output seal out of the housing. It doesn’t look to me like it broke whole teeth off of gears, they look like filings now. The center gear cluster thrusted into the case halves is why Josh is giving up on it.

IMG_5743.jpeg
Mine was a replace-a-case and luckily mines only leaking out the rear output seal. I’ll keep a better eye on oil level. Looks like that’s what killed it to me. But case half is salvageable with some machining I would think.

For $3,900 dollars? Why? I’ve got several friends with MMW cases. The portal crawler guys seem to be having good luck with theirs. 3000 pound cars with tiny 4 cylinders and 10:1 axle ratios.

No no no no. The case I’m posting pics of is not for sale.
My reason for thinking about one is that I already have a BUILT Dana 300. 4:1, 32 spline outputs and I want to change to driver drop. This case gives me the option to assemble as drivers drop or passenger which I find very useful.

I know there is another option! Maybe a better option honestly! I'm not a huge fan of the shifters but doesn't seem to be an issue.

I always wished i'd have bought at STAK replace a case and this seems pretty close. 4 cyl, light weight (3,000ish lbs) 609, 39" buggy. So not portal light or reduction but close.

Edit: and the case posted for sale is $2k and within driving distance for me if not meet in Mason on a trip. That helps too. THOUGHT I NEED TO PRICE A NEW ONE I'm more posting to gain knowledge. #thisiswhyforumsarebetterthansocialmedia

Last edited:
My reason for thinking about one is that I already have a BUILT Dana 300. 4:1, 32 spline outputs and I want to change to driver drop. This case (I think) need to read more gives me the option to assemble as drivers drop.

I know there is another option! Maybe a better option honestly! I'm not a huge fan of the shifters but doesn't seem to be an issue.

I always wished i'd have bought at STAK replace a case and this seems pretty close. 4 cyl, light weight (3,000ish lbs) 609, 39" buggy. So not portal light or reduction but close.

Edit: and the case posted for sale is $2k and within driving distance for me if not meet in Mason on a trip. That helps too. THOUGHT I NEED TO PRICE A NEW ONE I'm more posting to gain knowledge. #thisiswhyforumsarebetterthansocialmedia
You can assemble drivers drop. That was selling point for me as I passenger drop now going to driver later and I already had a fully polished 300 I was in to for $500 through some horse trading.

I’m running jb fabrication cable shifters. Shifts great and doesn’t pop out of gear like before. I would recommend to buy one if the company hadn’t gone defunct.

But my son is building a cheap rig will get all my axles so the t- case will go to him so he can utilize the passenger drop axles.

You can assemble drivers drop. That was selling point for me as I passenger drop now going to driver later and I already had a fully polished 300 I was in to for $500 through some horse trading.

I’m running jb fabrication cable shifters. Shifts great and doesn’t pop out of gear like before. I would recommend to buy one if the company hadn’t gone defunct.

But my son is building a cheap rig will get all my axles so the t- case will go to him so he can utilize the passenger drop axles.
So you have the MMW or Behemoth? Are both MMW and Behemoth out of business or just MMW? When I goggled behemoth some "out of business" links came up but I thought they were still going and delivering products.

My reason for thinking about one is that I already have a BUILT Dana 300. 4:1, 32 spline outputs and I want to change to driver drop. This case gives me the option to assemble as drivers drop or passenger which I find very useful.

Behemoth Colossus case is $2445 and can be made driver or passenger drop....just as another option. If I was going D300....right now, that's who I'd go with.

Behemoth's still in business.... Dana 300 Colossus - Billet D300 Replacement Case (no gears)

I get the desire to have an alternative to an Atlas because they’re expensive. What I don’t get, is having less transfer case for more money. An opted out Atlas II is $3300 with shifters. What are you getting in a D300 for $3,900 dollars that would make one even consider doing that? Y’all know that the gears and shafts inside of an atlas are bigger better than a D300 right?

This is from AA case builder right now. They’re delivering in 5 to 6 weeks right now. Randy Slawson often has them on the shelf and the last time he was trying to sell a couple he was asking $3K for them.
IMG_5744.jpeg

I get the desire to have an alternative to an Atlas because they’re expensive. What I don’t get, is having less transfer case for more money. An opted out Atlas II is $3300 with shifters. What are you getting in a D300 for $3,900 dollars that would make one even consider doing that? Y’all know that the gears and shafts inside of an atlas are bigger better than a D300 right?

This is from AA case builder right now. They’re delivering in 5 to 6 weeks right now. Randy Slawson often has them on the shelf and the last time he was trying to sell a couple he was asking $3K for them.
IMG_5744.jpeg
I never thought MMW business should have been selling complete cases. Just sell replacement case and machined pins done. Similar to what TMI is doing with his new 205 cases. You just are hinging so much of your business on jb conversions which isn’t known to have stuff in stock.

And I went this route as I didn’t have to redo much drivelines, shifter, mount floor clearance was all the same. I was planning on keeping this on smaller tires at the time too. Doesn’t pencil out financially like you stated. Small portal buggies this is their case everyone else should just go to an atlas.

The benefit to the d300 based cases is size over the atlas. Don't think I could fit an atlas at all in my crawler. I originally built with a stock D300 case and had to modify my passenger seat to fit and even going to the MM300 I had to modify it a fair bit more. Don't think the Behemoth with the top side shifters would work very well in my setup.

That case post above with broken gears looks like maybe had a problem with the thrust washer spinning looking at rough case area there. I remember MM saying you needed a center shaft at a specific length and that stock 300 center shafts varied through the years. With the mention of always leaking I bet they didn't follow that and had too long of shaft that would explain the leaking since the case halfs wouldn't mate right and would allow more play in gear to thrust and allow thrust to not key in and spin as shown. At least that's my RCA based on those pictures.

You can do that with the new Atlas cases built for the past 3 years at least
So a new Atlas @ $3k ish can be taken apart and switched between driver and passenger drop? Thats a standard feature now?

If so Behemoth is too high on their $2.5K case IMO. Even for guys like me that have a built 300 that's too close to a new Atlas that's complete IMO.

IMG_5744.jpeg
Size/weight are the only real reasons....

Is the Atlas you're discussing a race case or cast trail case? If it's billet, that's apples to apples. It's still apples to apples if one compares the pre-built $5200 Colossus D300 with the LoMax 4:1 gears....which (correct me if I'm wrong) are bigger/stronger than the Atlas....to a similarly equipped race case Atlas II.

EDIT....I'm stoopid. Not apples to apples. The race case Atlas with similar build specs is $3400 direct from AA. Could've sworn the Atlas was close to $4500 or so when I looked several months back. Old age and faulty memory I guess. With that much of a price difference, I don't know how Behemoth can stay in business.

Last edited:
The benefit to the d300 based cases is size over the atlas. Don't think I could fit an atlas at all in my crawler. I originally built with a stock D300 case and had to modify my passenger seat to fit and even going to the MM300 I had to modify it a fair bit more. Don't think the Behemoth with the top side shifters would work very well in my setup.

That case post above with broken gears looks like maybe had a problem with the thrust washer spinning looking at rough case area there. I remember MM saying you needed a center shaft at a specific length and that stock 300 center shafts varied through the years. With the mention of always leaking I bet they didn't follow that and had too long of shaft that would explain the leaking since the case halfs wouldn't mate right and would allow more play in gear to thrust and allow thrust to not key in and spin as shown. At least that's my RCA based on those pictures.
That case was a turn key build from MMW. That was NOT an empty case that Josh built, it showed up fully assembled. If the pin was too long it was MMW’s fault not the customers.

Is the Atlas you're discussing a race case or cast trail case? If it's billet, that's apples to apples. It's still apples to apples if one compares the pre-built $5200 Colossus D300 with the LoMax 4:1 gears....which (correct me if I'm wrong) are bigger/stronger than the Atlas....to a similarly equipped race case Atlas II.
YEARS AGO!!!!!!!!!! I want to stress that..........YEARS AGO. I talked to the owner of JB conversions at the time John White (may still be the owner I'm not sure) and he said that his 4:1 dana 300 gears were bigger and stronger than the Atlas gears. As I remember him explaining to me the Atlas was originally loosely based off of a Dana 300. Gear 4:1 gears for a Dana 300 are based off of 205 gears.

Not sure that is true and that's me remembering a convo we had 20+ years ago so some of the details may have gotten blurred together or mixed up! I remember for sure he said his gears were stronger. Which is great ONLY IF the case can support their strength!!

YEARS AGO!!!!!!!!!! I want to stress that..........YEARS AGO. I talked to the owner of JB conversions at the time John White (may still be the owner I'm not sure) and he said that his 4:1 dana 300 gears were bigger and stronger than the Atlas gears. As I remember him explaining to me the Atlas was originally loosely based off of a Dana 300. Gear 4:1 gears for a Dana 300 are based off of 205 gears.

Not sure that is true and that's me remembering a convo we had 20+ years ago so some of the details may have gotten blurred together or mixed up! I remember for sure he said his gears were stronger. Which is great ONLY IF the case can support their strength!!
Pics of them side by side are still on the web....

1710518004057.png
1710518019839.png
1710518041232.png

Bigger teeth doesn't always equate to stronger either....But visually, it makes a good case for that argument. Destructive testing may say something completely different though.

EDIT....I'm stoopid. Not apples to apples. The race case Atlas with similar build specs is $3400 direct from AA. Could've sworn the Atlas was close to $4500 or so when I looked several months back. Old age and faulty memory I guess. With that much of a price difference, I don't know how Behemoth can stay in business.
I just configured a fully opted race case, as I would put in a U4 car (which anyone can do at any time just FYI). 3,800 and change for “super finish” gears (rem polish) 300M outputs etc and these are the ambidextrous cases. Same case is driver or pass drop with no parts needed to change it
IMG_5749.jpeg

I just configured a fully opted race case, as I would put in a U4 car (which anyone can do at any time just FYI). 3,800 and change for “super finish” gears (rem polish) 300M outputs etc and these are the ambidextrous cases. Same case is driver or pass drop with no parts needed to change it
IMG_5749.jpeg
Yeah, at that price point ($3500 and change without tax)....hard to beat the Atlas.

Yeah, at that price point ($3500 and change without tax)....hard to beat the Atlas.
I’d also do a Phenom case before I’d consider a Colossus case. A 2 speed with 40 spline outputs as I’d stick in an U4 car is $3,800

IMG_5755.jpeg

A 3 speed with 40 spline outputs is $5,300 and this is what we’re running in dads 700 Hp 4500 car.

IMG_5751.png

Yeah, I've got two of the 3 speed Heroes from TWF that I'm likely going to use....talk about big and heavy, lol.

I've said it multiple times, probably in this thread.

I wish someone would make a billet replace-a-case modeled on the cast design. Strait swap, no reason to reinvent the wheel with proprietary/shitty shifters.
Ah fuck man... you're just trying to over complicate things by making them easy:flipoff2:

That case was a turn key build from MMW. That was NOT an empty case that Josh built, it showed up fully assembled. If the pin was too long it was MMW’s fault not the customers.
Wonder if early production before the figured out that discrepancy in pin length. Either way that is my initial guess, would be worth checking before rebuilding that case. I do like the MM case, have built two but reused original D300 guts in both.

I've said it multiple times, probably in this thread.

I wish someone would make a billet replace-a-case modeled on the cast design. Strait swap, no reason to reinvent the wheel with proprietary/shitty shifters.
The shifter design is far superior to the original Dana 300 that you have to completely disassemble the t-case to adjust the detent pressure. 5/32 Allen wrench and 11/16” wrench in 30 seconds it’s done on the MMW 300.

The shifter design is far superior to the original Dana 300 that you have to completely disassemble the t-case to adjust the detent pressure. 5/32 Allen wrench and 11/16” wrench in 30 seconds it’s done on the MMW 300.
The shifter set up in the Behemoth looks pretty simple too...but I wonder how durable it is and how well it actually shifts when in use.

The shifter set up in the Behemoth looks pretty simple too...but I wonder how durable it is and how well it actually shifts when in use.
The Behemoth shifting setup is being updated, worked with it over the past couple days helping dial one in. Still not up for production, but close. Jesse Haines had his hands in the development.

Behemoth is planning to make EVERY part for the D300. Every.

MIdnight had non-stop machining issues with all of the later cases...issues where it's impossible to preload the front output correctly because the back cover wasn't machined deep enough...issues where that back cover was machined offset by a .00x and sideloads the bearings/gears...issues with the shift rails and detent locations and permitting sufficient engagement (mine is marginal on low/rear, but works). IMO, a Midnight is a terrible choice for a vehicle that exceeds 30mph for any length of time. Buggies and crawlers seem to be holding up well. Mine has been untouched in 2ish years.

The advantage to both is/was the ability to save money by doing the replace-a-case route, and benefiting from a very strong setup that takes up a smaller footprint in an already overly space conscious buggy chassis. In my case, I have another AA output and a set of 4:1 LoMax gears ready for the next case, most likely the Behemoth.

I never thought MMW business should have been selling complete cases. Just sell replacement case and machined pins done. Similar to what TMI is doing with his new 205 cases. You just are hinging so much of your business on jb conversions which isn’t known to have stuff in stock.

Just saw this on a TMI ad on Facebook. Owner of JB. Another ding in the story line if true, I wouldn’t know if it is or isn’t. Just a datapoint to add here.
IMG_5954.jpeg

Top Back Refresh