What's new

MMW Dana 300 waiting list

RTH

Offroad addict
Member Number
Loc
Cle Elum, WA
I'm a few months from finally completing my buggy. I'll be running the stock 300 case and I plan to move onto a Midnight Metal Works 300 case in the coming year and am wondering what the turnaround people are experiencing lately. Is shipping delays still pushed out OR are people receiving the bare case versus complete cases faster? I'd be looking for just the bare case, 32 spline front.

FYI -
Not planning on running behemoth, not a fan and never will be.
An atlas is an option if MMW is seeing extreme delays, although I know AA hasn't been stellar in the shipping game as well. - I think AA isn't taking your money up front though like MMW is?

Sure.,,, I get it.... COVID shipping and supply is the topic of everything still so don't want to ignore that, Just insight on what you guys are seeing or dealing with lately.

Aa says 18 to 20 weeks right on thier site. Last guy I know to order one did not get it in the time they said either :laughing:

As far as behemoth, they have completely new owners. What's the rub now? They had a display at trail hero and everything looked top notch 🤷

I ordered small parts from Behemoth a few weeks ago and got them in less than a week. Fit, finish, packaging was excellent.

While a nice product, I wouldn't touch MMW with a 10 foot pole. I'd put money on it at this point that many people on the list, who've paid...will never see a case (especially after some additional info relayed at TH).

Atlas wait times are still long, but they're delivering. I've got a 4 speed that should ship in February.

Behemoth stuff looks nice, but expensive IMO. If you're on the rather weight conscious/comp side then it's a good option...but $2300 for JUST a case is a bit out there...considered that's not a whole lot less than an entire 2 speed atlas. And, your weak point is still going to be the gears.

I was going to build a D300 till i priced them out. I can order a Atlas with Toyota flanges and shifter for less than any of the D300 variants out there without a shifter. Might be waiting a bit longer but AA has been around a long time and I'm pretty sure they aren't the most likely ones to go tits up.

Get a YouTube channel and you magically get the prototype 205 in your tow truck... They do look like a great option. But until JB starts making more gears for MMW (which was their original plan no?) your stuck with a 4:1. Which isn't bad but isn't right for everyone.

Behemoth is so overpriced. They make one of the only 205 outputs with VSS however but they litteraly tripled their price from when they originally released it.

While a nice product, I wouldn't touch MMW with a 10 foot pole. I'd put money on it at this point that many people on the list, who've paid...will never see a case (especially after some additional info relayed at TH).

Taking money ahead of time is always a recipe for disaster.

Atlas wait times are still long, but they're delivering. I've got a 4 speed that should ship in February.

Behemoth stuff looks nice, but expensive IMO. If you're on the rather weight conscious/comp side then it's a good option...but $2300 for JUST a case is a bit out there...considered that's not a whole lot less than an entire 2 speed atlas. And, your weak point is still going to be the gears.

People forget that the atlas 2 is not billet and not bullet proof. Obviously it's plenty for most of us, but I don't think mmw or behemoth is trying to make a cheaper alternative to an atlas. It's just not going to happen when aa has been building them for so long.

Another benefit to mmw and behemoth is they are the same case for driver drop or pass drop. May not matter to some, but it is a benifit. If for nothing else, it helps resale.

Behemoth has their own shift fork/pivot design that looks a lot better than stock rails.

I was going to build a D300 till i priced them out. I can order a Atlas with Toyota flanges and shifter for less than any of the D300 variants out there without a shifter. Might be waiting a bit longer but AA has been around a long time and I'm pretty sure they aren't the most likely ones to go tits up.

The mmw was always more, but for a while had a shorter wait time. Now that it seems like they're pretty even, it's hard to not go with the proven tcase.

I still am surprised that a large company hasn't decided to make a competitor to the atlas. Something along the lines of Arb, dynatrac, ect.

I still am surprised that a large company hasn't decided to make a competitor to the atlas. Something along the lines of Arb, dynatrac, ect.
I wonder have anyone on here gotten anything from Dstrac? (Brazil based company)

About $1,000 cheaper than behemoth’s loaded NP205 with 3:1 ratio. And Dstrac didn’t increase cost as I configured options.

I wonder have anyone on here gotten anything from Dstrac? (Brazil based company)

About $1,000 cheaper than behemoth’s loaded NP205 with 3:1 ratio. And Dstrac didn’t increase cost as I configured options.

This is the only one that I've seen in a build

I'd have to dive into it a bit more, but I think this is a large case more similar to the 205 or hero.

I think something D300 sized would be more universally used. Basically just a direct atlas competitor.

A 4 speed with 2:1 and 4:1 would also be perfect imo. My buddy had this in a klune 205 and it just seemed to cover all bases the best.

The mmw was always more, but for a while had a shorter wait time. Now that it seems like they're pretty even, it's hard to not go with the proven tcase.
Do you mean the time line is pretty even? Cause cost is nearly $1000 difference not including shifters.

IIRC LII was putting one in their 4400 car with a well built Coyote.

FWIW last time out there was a guy saying he was pulling his MMW case again due to leaking. It's a fresh build and I don't know anything about it and it was my first time meeting him. He didn't seem like the kinda guy that just whines about stuff. My passenger was asking a few people about cases since his rig is apart for a trans and gears in his D300. There was a few Behemoth case rigs there and not one of them had a bad thing to say. Hero and Atlas guys had nothing bad to say and there were other with MMW cases with no issues.

What info was released at TH?

Looking into this further, on MMW site they are no longer offering the 2 different Chassis options like they once did.... hmm...With everything I'm reading here seems like they may have bitten more than they can chew. Hopefully they can catch up and get things moving. Their design looks top notch and it's clear the demand is there for these cases.

Last edited:
As far as behemoth, they have completely new owners. What's the rub now? They had a display at trail hero and everything looked top notch 🤷

First - History, new owners don't matter to me. Great concepts and parts that burned allot of people.
Second - Not a fan of their shifter design and their overall case look. Their shifters look weak. I guess I just prefer a traditional rail style verses their goofy hinge design.
Third - Costs... They're just too much for what's going on. All back to me not being a fan of them and their product

Far as costs goes - I would pay 2k for a MMW case. We'll see if they can their shit together or not.

This is the only one that I've seen in a build

I'd have to dive into it a bit more, but I think this is a large case more similar to the 205 or hero.

I think something D300 sized would be more universally used. Basically just a direct atlas competitor.

A 4 speed with 2:1 and 4:1 would also be perfect imo. My buddy had this in a klune 205 and it just seemed to cover all bases the best.
Earl how long did it took for your t-case to show up after ordering?

People forget that the atlas 2 is not billet and not bullet proof. Obviously it's plenty for most of us, but I don't think mmw or behemoth is trying to make a cheaper alternative to an atlas. It's just not going to happen when aa has been building them for so long.

Another benefit to mmw and behemoth is they are the same case for driver drop or pass drop. May not matter to some, but it is a benifit. If for nothing else, it helps resale.

Atlas's aren't bullet proof, but where are the breaks being seen? Pretty much everyone that I've seen (web or personally) was in a big tire, big HP rig. Until the Hero case came along (which has is now it's whole own shit show), it was either an Atlas, or an SCS case (but you're stuck with one gear then until you swap it out, no high/low).

Looking at things, we've had STaK which was a nice case with some issues, go completely belly up. Same with Behemoth, and the Hero case seems to be more headed that way.

For small, lightweight cars, it becomes a decently simple difference: is the ~40 lbs. and smaller-ish backpacking worth the added cost and risk? But then again, looking at some of the top cars (looking at TH and the Trail Breaker), you see many a D300, especially with portals becoming far more common. I'm sure we'll see more of the aftermarket cases eventually, but if I were a competitor, it just wouldn't be worth not being able to get parts.

What info was released at TH?

Looking into this further, on MMW site they are no longer offering the 2 different Chassis options like they once did.... hmm...With everything I'm reading here seems like they may have bitten more than they can chew. Hopefully they can catch up and get things moving. Their design looks top notch and it's clear the demand is there for these cases.

Nothing really released, just learned through friends/acquaintances what all went on behind the scene, why cases are barely if at all moving (or likely to stop completely), and that the overall owner is a giant POS essentially.

I wish someone that could keep their shit together would make billet AL D300 cases. Even billet steel might be legit honestly? Just have the cases nitrided for corrosion resistance. Everyone goes crazy over aluminum but it needs to be twice as thick for the same strength as steel. The weight savings isn't as much as you might think.

I wish someone that could keep their shit together would make billet AL D300 cases. Even billet steel might be legit honestly? Just have the cases nitrided for corrosion resistance. Everyone goes crazy over aluminum but it needs to be twice as thick for the same strength as steel. The weight savings isn't as much as you might think.
I think the real reason/advantage may be machining cost. Building it out of billet steel would require significantly more time on a machine thus reducing number they would be able to produce and increasing cost.

I'd be willing to bet that doing the same case in steel would actually cost more and that is why you see these type of things in AL.

Ya really a cast Dana 300 is only 75-80 lbs.

I think the real reason/advantage may be machining cost. Building it out of billet steel would require significantly more time on a machine thus reducing number they would be able to produce and increasing cost.

I'd be willing to bet that doing the same case in steel would actually cost more and that is why you see these type of things in AL.
Steel can actually be machined pretty fast if you know what you're doing and have the right tooling. No, not as fast as aluminum but the difference would be inconsequential compared to the material cost of steel or aluminum.

Sean Devinny seemed to be able to at least break even if not profit making billet samurai cases. If he can do it on such limited runs id think it would be easy for someone to have a few hundred punched out.

Maybe the margins are to low for how long you have to sit on the product.

Do you mean the time line is pretty even? Cause cost is nearly $1000 difference not including shifters.

Yes, wait time.

Although if you go to the pro case, which I believe is billet, it passes up the mmw pretty easy.

First - History, new owners don't matter to me. Great concepts and parts that burned allot of people.
Second - Not a fan of their shifter design and their overall case look. Their shifters look weak. I guess I just prefer a traditional rail style verses their goofy hinge design.
Third - Costs... They're just too much for what's going on. All back to me not being a fan of them and their product

Far as costs goes - I would pay 2k for a MMW case. We'll see if they can their shit together or not.

Fair enough, I was just curious.

I guess I didn't look closely at the shifter design. They claim it's better and I wouldn't be surprised if it is. 205s, D300s and even some atlas' often shift like shit.

Atlas's aren't bullet proof, but where are the breaks being seen? Pretty much everyone that I've seen (web or personally) was in a big tire, big HP rig. Until the Hero case came along (which has is now it's whole own shit show), it was either an Atlas, or an SCS case (but you're stuck with one gear then until you swap it out, no high/low).

Not all atlas' are created equal. I'd bet most big boys are running the pro will all the options.

I had an older 6 spline (pre 05?) version apart recently and holy shit, what a retardedly weak looking shaft. Doesn't exactly matter for this exact discussion, but is still a factor if you hear "my buddy broke an atlas" it's almost like saying "my buddy broke a D60" there are a lot of variables there.

Looking at things, we've had STaK which was a nice case with some issues, go completely belly up. Same with Behemoth, and the Hero case seems to be more headed that way.

Are they actually belly up?

A buddy bought a 3spd mini stak years after I thought they were gone. He ran it a fair amount for about 10 years without issue. Was a pretty killer set up for a trail rig with ~2.3 and 5.4:1.

Behemoth is still around, but new owners? I get the hesitation, but I'd think they may prove themselves eventually. They really should have just changed the name. :homer:

What's the latest with hero? I thought it was some crazy stuff like the company hired to make the gears stole the product?

For small, lightweight cars, it becomes a decently simple difference: is the ~40 lbs. and smaller-ish backpacking worth the added cost and risk? But then again, looking at some of the top cars (looking at TH and the Trail Breaker), you see many a D300, especially with portals becoming far more common. I'm sure we'll see more of the aftermarket cases eventually, but if I were a competitor, it just wouldn't be worth not being able to get parts.

The few trail breaker rigs I looked at were just running regular iron D300 housings anyway :laughing:

Nothing really released, just learned through friends/acquaintances what all went on behind the scene, why cases are barely if at all moving (or likely to stop completely), and that the overall owner is a giant POS essentially.

There must just be something about building tcases that attracts a certain type of retard :laughing:

Sean Devinny seemed to be able to at least break even if not profit making billet samurai cases. If he can do it on such limited runs id think it would be easy for someone to have a few hundred punched out.

Maybe the margins are to low for how long you have to sit on the product.

Zuk parts just seem to be for guys that just like them. Look at ott with all their neat products and how quick they went under. :laughing:

I have a Metal Works case in line. 10 months so far. I check in every few months and they email me back with that latest news. It's been other supply chain issues and adding equipment that has been over the quoted wait time. They let me know where I was in the line as well. I know 2 people with their cases and no leaks or other issues.

I also think a steel case would be worth looking into.

I tend to think the t-case issue is the achilles heal of the offroad world. The oems have been using chain drive cases to increase mpgs since the late 80s, good for streetable trail rigs, but not so good for technical crawling. That pushes us to use t-cases that are at least 30yrs old at this point.

The issues that plague the t-case market are similar to those of the portal market. Jessie Haines seems to do ok, but he is doing small batch runs trying to replicate an already produced portal box. 74weld has designed their own, and makes it all in house, but at a quite a cost. T-cases are engineering, tooling, and material intensive.

What is the cost of a chunk of 7075 to machine a t-case half? Steel is probably even more. I could see cases being poured overseas and machined here as being more cost effective. I think if the machining and inspection was done stateside that would alleviate some of the quality issues. It is unlikely you'll find a foundry in the states that would want to deal with low volume casting. On top of that expense, you now need to make all the gears.

Dstrac seems to have the financial backing to be successfull. Time will tell I guess.

I am surprised AA hasn't been able to ramp up production more. They have a proven product with proven demand. You'd think they could leverage that to expand their facilities. Maybe that jump is too big? Maybe the new owners don't really care? Dunno.

I'm still waiting on my complete MMW case. Ordered in early Feb of 2022. I was told 8 week lead time when I ordered and paid in full. The communication has been okay I guess. I have to message them to get any kind of update. They always respond but I think they should be sending me monthly updates without me asking.
I was supposedly 9th in line 4 months ago, then 6th in line on November 16th.
Now they tell me it should ship after the first of the year. I don't believe them.
The problem the entire time has been the 32spline input shaft.
They should throw in some store credit or something. Glad I've waited to tear my rig down but now it's looking like my tear down with be a spring/summer project instead of winter.

I know the OP isn't into it but I saw Behemoth is currently 2-4 weeks on complete cases based on options picked.

I did ask MMW on social media what current lead times were and no response what so ever.

The crap part about the D300 cases is they all use the same vendor for the 4-1's, outputs ect. One of these places starts making their own gearsets and outputs they will be way ahead of the curve.

Last edited:
maybe we can all ask on social media? maybe even screen shot a few posts form here. :stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

no i am not going to stirp the pot there. it does just plain suck though.

Top Back Refresh