What's new

MCI 102-C3 coach to RV - Electrical System

Breakers came in. Measured the bus bar studs on the 250 amp for lug fitment. Connecting the battery cables directly to the breaker would cause the lugs to overlap, reducing the connectivity of one lug. CAD sketch of the 1/4" studs and their spacing with one lug 1.13" wide. Probably best to stick with the Blue Sea 1,000 amp bus bar and distribute battery bank power from there.

343.jpg

Parts are on the way and I made headway on the electrical today. And we're setting up a new phone right now so that I may take pictures once again and finally make a video for a fellow MCI owner that contacted me through PBB.

I bounced all over Colorado Springs yesterday in search of more 1" liquid-tight, insulated throat, metallic flex conduit connectors and came up empty handed. We ordered two boxes of them last night. We also ordered one Blue Sea 1991 bus bar and one Blue Sea 3113 marine breaker enclosure. The connectors will finish up the conduit and allow me to move on to the PVC conduits and then the floor sheeting.

I spoke with Todd at Midnite Solar about remote shutoff breakers. We will be using their MNEDC250RT for each inverter and their MDC-GFP80 for each PV input to the charge controllers. Not that remote shutdown is necessary, but we've had so many people watching our build closely that are interested in the electrical setup. NEC requires home installations to have a remote shutdown for firefighters and other emergency personnel in the event that the home's system needs to be shut down without having to enter the building. Since we're setting an example for some, I want to try this out.

I'm not entirely familiar with RV's. What I have seen tells me that breaker panels and shutoff switches aren't readily accessible in an emergency. Word had it the RV electrical fires are all too common. Our bus has to flip-up panels on the outside that are no longer occupied. Great locations for an "e-stop" type button. The remote trip breakers only need a quick shot of a power source to trip them and everything shuts down together.

We are using the Midnite Solar Kid controllers which automatically open up the PV circuit if their connection to the batteries is lost. I'll still put in the GFP disconnects because some charge controllers don't have the same feature. With the inverter breakers going in the upper rear center of the rearmost storage bay and all our "upstairs" breakers going towards the back of the bus, the run between the two locations for emergency shutdown might be exhausting.

I also spoke with a gentleman at Brallie Battery to get the rundown on swapping the starting batteries to lithium. Granted the swap is overpriced in the eyes of many, the cost is the only bummer. $2K for a pair. The upsides are a full volt high and a little more cranking amp at only 11.5 pounds each. Our current lead acid pair likes to burp acid on you any time you move them and they weigh 140ish pounds each. They're part culprit of my herniated disc last week.

Running these Braille lithiums is really easy. Our voltage regulator is external and adjustable which allows me to bump it up from the 27.5 that it's set at to the 28-29 volts that the lithium batteries need. Nothing else is required. Since they will be used for starting almost exclusively, we're going with the i34RX.

bigun said,

My first TT had the panel under the kitchen sink cabinet Real fun to get to in the middle of the night when it caught on fire. MH is mounted to the outside of the kitchen cabinet the only problem with it is you can only get inside if you open up the couch bed! I have been tempted to transfer all the 110 volt stuff to a real panel mounted in the outside skin

All the above. I am continually grateful that my wife was on the same page when this idea came up and I explained why I would never own an RV.

[486] said,

all this money into batteries, I remember hearing stuff about breaking down nissan leaf batteries for their cells as a cheap option to get into lithium batteries. Just need a battery controller to run them so they don't let that li-ion battery fire out.

Me, lead-acid's more my style after reading up on all the effort expended.

bigun said,
[486] said:
all this money into batteries, I remember hearing stuff about breaking down nissan leaf batteries for their cells as a cheap option to get into lithium batteries. Just need a battery controller to run them so they don't let that li-ion battery fire out.

Me, lead-acid's more my style after reading up on all the effort expended.​
This guy has a lot on building your own power walls
https://www.youtube.com/user/jehugarcia

Building the batteries myself would’ve been totally up my alley. Decided against it even with all the people suggesting I use my knowledge to do so. I have enough on my plate as it is and the Battle Born batteries are lithium iron phosphate which hasn’t had a problem with runaway or fires. Having dealt with numerous large banks of leaky lead-acid batteries, I don’t mind the money going into lithium. The drop in weight alone is pretty impressive.

Blue Sea 1991 bus bar is here and it's a beaut. Damn near a perfect fit in the location I had in mind, too.

350.jpg

Rear wiring is now completely stripped down to the bare necessities. Great weather today. Might head out for even more fun. I have the front to rear stretch down to five wires. I'll be running a few more for connections that will differ from the factory system. Sure am glad to have gotten the rear switch box cleared out. That was a tight cluster.

Couple pics uploaded via usb connection to the laptop from the phone. Here's hoping they're better quality. They may be sideways. I've tried everything to get this iphone to switch to a desktop version of PBB for higher quality. The mobile version is no better than an app and compresses the images too much.

359.jpg
360.jpg

Conduit connectors came in this morning. It’s a squeeze for all that is going on in this space. The two couplers next to each other are for the AC and DC main circuit feeds headed for the breaker boxes upstairs. With the amount of power that we’ll have available and the number of circuits to run through these conduits, I find it best to segregate upstairs and downstairs circuit conduits. The existing conduits will be for downstairs and engine wiring only. Upstairs conduits will run in the ceiling.

362.jpg

Last pic of today that I got before the camera on this phone died. Mounted a couple more boxes to branch 1/2" flex conduit from. Those head to the side signal/marker lights at the front. I have to do the same for the rear. The boys and I picked up a few more conduit pieces this evening to complete the rigid AC conduit at the rear bulkhead.

363.jpg

Conduit bulkhead pass-throughs are in. This is what I originally wanted to do. Started mounting some more junction
boxes to save myself some effort, but as badly as the panel was warped from factory welding, I couldn't get a seal against it.
Ran in a few self tappers to push the dent out and then tacked in the conduit couplers. Cylinder strength did a lot to inscrease
the rigity of the weakest part of the panel. Got the flex conduit mounted to that point too.

Punched some holes where each DC juntion box mounts in the bays. Dug out my die grinder to spend tomorrow reaming out the box holes.
I'm hoping to lay down some paint before final assembly. My chances of doing so are pretty slim with as little room I have left.

367.jpg
368.jpg
369.jpg
370.jpg

One down. This was supposed to happen two days ago. Life, ya know. Slow start this morning with ice in my air line and the compressor taking time to keep up. Hopefully I get all the boxes done today. Only so many above freezing hours left in the day right now.

371.jpg

Suited up and did some conduit rearranging. Swapping the DC conduit 4-way over to the road side for a completely smooth run from the engine bay to the dashboard. Got enough use out of the plasma cutter to cut a hole for one of the power steering hose conduits before the air line froze. I’ve now packed about all the pipes I can fit into this center chase and I’m going ahead with running them all full length so that any one of them can be quickly accessed at either end. Called it an night since I need to run the die grinder and it’s 10 degrees out. Took a hair dryer out to blow warmth in the area I had to work on with bare fingers on steel. That actually worked.

389.jpg
390.jpg

Grabbed an HPC style audio connector at Guitar Center the other day while in Springs. I’ve had my eye on these for years ever since working with instruments and a bit a pro audio equipment. I’m waiting on an Amphenol SP-4-FNL to get here to compare wiring capacity between that and this Neutrik connector. The Amphenol has a nice strain relief. These have an ampacity of 30-50 amps and will be used as the cord ends on all DC appliances that are too large for coaxial barrel connectors. Neutrik makes 3-pole connectors specifically for power, but at a higher price for nearly the same thing. I’ll be using the 4-pole audio connectors which will carry both 12 and 24 volts along with a common ground so that all DC appliances with this style connector can plug into any outlet and utilize the correct voltage required. These connectors twist in and lock without crossing incorrect pins. Nifty stuff.

392.jpg
393.jpg

bdkw1 said:
JNHEscher said:
Grabbed an HPC style audio connector at Guitar Center the other day while in Springs.​
But do they go to 11?​
They will while in my possession. Bet I’ll giggle when I use these to plug in my amps and guitars to jam out in the bus. Or outside the bus.

Connector is here and I just placed orders for 10ga wire ferrules, some 10/3 SJEOOW cable and a bit of 4/0 class M cable. 10/3 for the DC appliances and 4/0 for the battery bank.

406.jpg
407.jpg

On another note, my cables came in this morning. The 10/3 SJEOOW is a dead on perfect fit in the Amphenol connector. Now I just need the ferrules to test fit.

412.jpg

Just some evening thinkering. Half an inch short of being able to stand the batteries up and fit 19.2kW of battery bank. Not enough incentive to add that much to raise the floor frame. I may ask Dragonfly Energy how much trouble I would cause if I were to grind out the epoxy around the post so that I can clock the posts 90 degrees to make cable routing far easier. Perhaps there are some post adapters out there that would reposition them.

457.jpg
458.jpg

ExWrench said,
JNHEscher said:
Just some evening thinkering. Half an inch short of being able to stand the batteries up and fit 19.2kW of battery bank. Not enough incentive to add that much to raise the floor frame.​
Could you cheat the battery compartment floor downward enough to make it all fit?

Congratulations on your move :beer:

ExWrench said:
Could you cheat the battery compartment floor downward enough to make it all fit?

Congratulations on your move :beer:
Unfortunately, no. Would otherwise. The compartment floor is the top of the structural portion of the "subframe". I'll have to stick with laying the batteries on their sides unless something convinces me to build up the floor frame with rectangle tubing. I'd like the extra rigidity and "conduit" of the tubing, but don't want to use up any more interior height than necessary.

Nice to have our own place again. Been renting since moving to Colorado which puts a bit of a bind on a bus conversion as some may know. We'll be on a roll once the shop is built. I'll be talking with an engineer very soon about putting together plans for a pentagonal footprint to see if it'll pass with Pikes Peak Regional Building Department. They said I am allowed to perform all the work myself as long as I comply with codes. Sketched out most of the ILC on Fusion360. A shop with 42' sides gets us right at the max square footage.

459.jpg

A visual for chats. Stood up, eight batteries fit if there were enough height. Laid down, six fit. Twelve Battle Born batteries is still a monster bank so I really needn't be racking my brain over it. I'm a tad bored while we gather ourselves again and get the workflow situated. Did a parts run today that didn't work out too well. Back at it Monday when non-chain stores open up.

460.jpg

87manche said,

I certainly wouldn't re engineer anything to make more of them fit.

the other thing to consider is that batteries are only going to gain capacity. So in five years when you replace those ones, you'll just magically get more amp hours.

Top Back Refresh