What's new

Maine Bound!

Bunch of pansies. They're just roads.

Tappan Zee (Brand new bridge)
91 (north in CT)

290 and 495 in Mass will be the worst of it.

91 (north in CT)

NYC at 11pm is routinely as bad as 290 through Worcester and 495 approaching the I93 and I95 junctions are at rush hour.

You do not wanna do NYC.

Every time I do NYC I think to myself "it's a Sunday at 8am, it'll be fine" or "it's a Saturday at 1am, it'll be fine" and then it's stop and go.

But you're from California so clearly you know everything and the locals are the ones who are wrong.

NYC at 11pm is routinely as bad as 290 through Worcester and 495 approaching the I93 and I95 junctions are at rush hour.

You do not wanna do NYC.

Every time I do NYC I think to myself "it's a Sunday at 8am, it'll be fine" or "it's a Saturday at 1am, it'll be fine" and then it's stop and go.

But you're from California so clearly you know everything and the locals are the ones who are wrong.

I'm 2 hours north of NYC and drive these roads frequently. None of these roads bother me with a truck and trailer.

Full disclosure; I drove to eastern Long Island this weekend with a truck and 25' camper and took the Port Jeff Ferry out of Bridgeport instead of 768 and the Whitestone Bridge.

Ya'll drive over the biggest rocks and boulders you can find on purpose but are afraid of a little traffic? :flipoff2:

91 (north in CT)

That’s more or less what we will be doing. Only once we hit 95 we are pretty much staying on it. Jump off it in Mass to hit the Boston/Cape Cod KOA for the final night, then the wide 95 arc out and around Boston and we are pretty much on that all the way up to Bangor.

Ya'll drive over the biggest rocks and boulders you can find on purpose but are afraid of a little traffic? :flipoff2:
He's from commiefornia. He's not used to east coast traffic. He'll rear end someone. He has his wife with him. He will get bitched at 10x less if he avoids traffic.

Last edited:
That’s more or less what we will be doing. Only once we hit 95 we are pretty much staying on it. Jump off it in Mass to hit the Boston/Cape Cod KOA for the final night, then the wide 95 arc out and around Boston and we are pretty much on that all the way up to Bangor.
Why?

Cape cod is an overpriced shithole of a sandbar. You are missing nothing by not going there.

You're adding an unecessary 30-90min (depending on time of day and luck) by taking 95 instead of 93, traffic is no better on 95. And on 93 you get to view one of the largest pubic works boondoggles of the 20th century.

If you get into trouble I'm in Cornwall CT. Not very close to your route but if you need something let me know....

Why?

Cape cod is an overpriced shithole of a sandbar. You are missing nothing by not going there.

You're adding an unecessary 30-90min (depending on time of day and luck) by taking 95 instead of 93, traffic is no better on 95
Actually I am from the east coast originally. I’ve made that drive from south Jersey to Providence Rhode Island and back many times. Granted that was before they rebuilt the Tap, but it’s a route I’m very familiar with.

as for the Boston/Cape Cod KOA, it’s not actually in cape cod. It’s in Middleboro. It just happened to fall in the mileage range I am shooting for on a daily basis and they had a large enough pull thru site available that night to accommodate my rig. It’s mostly a place to pull in and sleep for the night. A few months ago I went ahead and sat down and plotted out the route and prebooked all the KOAs along the route to make sure I wouldn’t have to drop the trailer each night. Booked all pull thru sites long enough to accommodate the whole rig.

Why?

You're adding an unecessary 30-90min (depending on time of day and luck) by taking 95 instead of 93, traffic is no better on 95. And on 93 you get to view one of the largest pubic works boondoggles of the 20th century.
Someone that lives in Worcester calling any other place a shithole is ironical.

Someone that lives in Worcester calling any other place a shithole is ironical.
I was referring to the people and not the place. :flipoff2:

I also don't live in Worcester. I live somewhere that's worse if you ask the Karens.

By living somewhere "bad" I have to listen to more Civics with fart cans but I get a whole lot more practical freedom in exchange. If I didn't have to commute for work car registration would be optional. Construction permitting for homeowners is not a thing they expect. Nobody complains about noises or smells. I have basically none of the "city problems". It's actually pretty great. The people here are way nicer than the rich parts of MA and the parts of MA that are under the thumb of the rich parts of MA.

Ironically property crime here is lower here than in the richer cities because we don't have catch and release policing for petty crimes. Too many immigrants here for that shit to fly. :laughing:

Actually I am from the east coast originally. I’ve made that drive from south Jersey to Providence Rhode Island and back many times. Granted that was before they rebuilt the Tap, but it’s a route I’m very familiar with.

as for the Boston/Cape Cod KOA, it’s not actually in cape cod. It’s in Middleboro. It just happened to fall in the mileage range I am shooting for on a daily basis and they had a large enough pull thru site available that night to accommodate my rig. It’s mostly a place to pull in and sleep for the night. A few months ago I went ahead and sat down and plotted out the route and prebooked all the KOAs along the route to make sure I wouldn’t have to drop the trailer each night. Booked all pull thru sites long enough to accommodate the whole rig.
You should have just said Middleboro. Middleboro and the cape may as well be different countries this time of year. :lmao:

You should have just said Middleboro. Middleboro and the cape may as well be different countries this time of year. :lmao:
Yeah I know. But they call themselves that as the name of the KOA. Just like the Memphis KOA we are staying at that is actually across the border in Marion Arkansas.

You're doing the dreaded NM Bermuda triangle route? God speed. You should have sceeps number on speed dial.
Yeah. We didn’t want to do 80 because like I said, going thru the Rockies in a 32’ RV with an 18’ trailer sounded like a really bad time. Taking 10 I did when we moved out here (at least part of it) and driving across Texas and all thru the south sounded miserable as well at the end of June.

40 was a good compromise. We can and will shoot up to check out the Grand Canyon, hit some Route 66 tourist trap stuff, check out the Cadillac Ranch, etc.

This is the itinerary I put together for the drive.

2477F891-CB67-4F29-B0E7-99B65221A3EB.jpeg

I was referring to the people and not the place. :flipoff2:

I also don't live in Worcester. I live somewhere that's worse if you ask the Karens.

By living somewhere "bad" I have to listen to more Civics with fart cans but I get a whole lot more practical freedom in exchange. If I didn't have to commute for work car registration would be optional. Construction permitting for homeowners is not a thing they expect. Nobody complains about noises or smells. I have basically none of the "city problems". It's actually pretty great. The people here are way nicer than the rich parts of MA and the parts of MA that are under the thumb of the rich parts of MA.

Ironically property crime here is lower here than in the richer cities because we don't have catch and release policing for petty crimes. Too many immigrants here for that shit to fly. :laughing:
I grew up in the northernmost town in Worcester County. I know things. :flipoff2:

This is so minor in the scope of the rest of your traffic decisions, but once you are up here, 295 between Portland and Augusta is normally a little faster (10 mins) and cheaper than 95 straight through, other than normal commuter traffic on 295. But if you happen to be coming through 95 in Augusta around lunch time on a weekday, I can direct you to a couple good places.

Also, Fuck driving through NYC (I have extended family on Long Island and hate that drive). Tapanzee simply sucks less than the GWB or such. Boston is less of a big deal. There are times when you can sail right through on 95 or 93, and there are times you will sit an hour in one place on 495. I just wouldn't plan on exploring Boston with a trailer. The Street layout is... not ideal.

Mariaville? I hope you're not on Graham Lake. They drain that poor bastard dry as a desert half the time.

Moving trailer has arrived! The driver backed it in like a pro. Two or three little readjustments but he basically one shotted it into the driveway. I was impressed. Then when he disconnected it he informed me they didn’t send the ramp or the bulkhead with the truck as they didn’t have any :rolleyes:

so I called the hub and the lady said they were offering a $200 discount if we can load without a ramp. Yeah, not gonna happen. Four big heavy, loaded tool chests, tube bender, tons of heavy shop equipment, no way in hell. So they are bringing me a ramp later this afternoon. Bulkhead will come with the driver on Monday when they come back to pick the trailer up. I got it swept out and ready to load for tomorrow.
18920CF8-B87C-4E87-806A-53EAAA26CBCC.jpeg
9232C38F-339F-4447-B18D-B9C25615DBDC.jpeg
9E1C8C5C-CFA9-43C8-A9B3-118F6819AB77.jpeg

i don't know much about trailers but the seems a bit sketch with the boards and front of the trailer siting that way on your sloped driveway.

i don't know much about trailers but the seems a bit sketch with the boards and front of the trailer siting that way on your sloped driveway.
Yeah I asked the guy that too. With the air supply disconnected the brakes on the trailer are locked up. We also chocked the wheels just to be on the safe side.

Top Back Refresh