What's new

Maine Bound!

I'm 2 hours north of NYC and drive these roads frequently. None of these roads bother me with a truck and trailer.

Full disclosure; I drove to eastern Long Island this weekend with a truck and 25' camper and took the Port Jeff Ferry out of Bridgeport instead of 768 and the Whitestone Bridge.

Ya'll drive over the biggest rocks and boulders you can find on purpose but are afraid of a little traffic? :flipoff2:
NYC does not want you driving through it. They make it tough. Beware the tunnel checkpoints where they go through your shit on the way into the city. And the $40 tolls.

Load all your heavy tools and crap first in the very front and report back.:flipoff2:
That’s my plan.

if we actually get the ramp that is. Lady just called and said they don’t have one available anywhere in the county. Suggested I try to rent one myself from Uhaul (who I know doesn’t have them anyway). Then said they don’t work weekends so the soonest they could get me one is Monday. The day they are supposed to pick it up.

needless to say I was NOT nice to the lady. I told her I don’t care what they have to do, I absolutely need a ramp here by end of the day TODAY. I have ten people coming to help us load this thing tomorrow.

Why in the blue fuck are you gonna go up to Las Vegas, NM out of Abq to drop back down to 40 then down to Lake Eufaula only to go back upto 40? You're adding hours onto your trip doing that.

Load all your heavy tools and crap first in the very front and report back.:flipoff2:

Empty might be an issue, those short single axle trailers can tip. He wont be able to load enough household stuff into that trailer to worry about axle weights.

I love the ABF moving, other than the part where you have to load/unload all your shit yourself. They were great to deal with when I used them (a decade ago).

Not having a ramp for your heavy shit will suck though. Either way, hope you're good at Tetris. Since you're paying by the linear foot, you'd better load that shit all the way up to the roof. :smokin:

HillbillyDeluxe Did you not read his itinerary? He's straight up takign his time and seeing the shit he wants to see on his way across the country. Let the man be. :laughing:
92 Green YJ if you hit the round barn on Route 66, then head back down to 40, you'll drive right by my house :emb:

That’s my plan.

if we actually get the ramp that is. Lady just called and said they don’t have one available anywhere in the county. Suggested I try to rent one myself from Uhaul (who I know doesn’t have them anyway). Then said they don’t work weekends so the soonest they could get me one is Monday. The day they are supposed to pick it up.

needless to say I was NOT nice to the lady. I told her I don’t care what they have to do, I absolutely need a ramp here by end of the day TODAY. I have ten people coming to help us load this thing tomorrow.

It’s in the complete wrong spot now and it costs somebody money (them if you play it right), but a rollback tow truck can mate up to the back of the trailer. Moving company out a non-running 4Runner in their trailer for me that way once (corporate relo was paying :smokin:)

I love the ABF moving, other than the part where you have to load/unload all your shit yourself. They were great to deal with when I used them (a decade ago).

Not having a ramp for your heavy shit will suck though. Either way, hope you're good at Tetris. Since you're paying by the linear foot, you'd better load that shit all the way up to the roof. :smokin:

HillbillyDeluxe Did you not read his itinerary? He's straight up takign his time and seeing the shit he wants to see on his way across the country. Let the man be. :laughing:
92 Green YJ if you hit the round barn on Route 66, then head back down to 40, you'll drive right by my house :emb:

Alright, fair enough. I can't shut off my truck driver brain when it comes to routes like that. I run that whole area he's going through, so Ibknow most of the turns and bumps on 40 and all over Ok down around Eufaula.

I will say this, in a motorhome towing that set up, he'll be lucky to run a 50mph average while moving. I can do 650+ on a good day in just under 11hrs and I drive 2k mi/week. Most people lose their mind after 1 day of 400mi.

I feel for ya man...

With that said rent a fork lift and have it delivered.

Send the bill to the idiots for not including the ramp.

Or rent a uhaul truck just for the ramp and charge em for the rental.

I feel for ya man...

With that said rent a fork lift and have it delivered.

Send the bill to the idiots for not including the ramp.

Or rent a uhaul truck just for the ramp and charge em for the rental.
That was actually my plan after calling 7 different places and coming Up empty on a ramp. I finally called ABF back and told them flat out if they did t get me a ramp they would be renting me a forklift. And what do you know, or five minutes later they called me back that a trailer had just come in to the hub with a ramp on it. I hopped in the Ram and drove over to the hub to pick it up. Of course it’s not a smooth ramp, so that’s going to make rolling the tool chests up it interesting. I think I still have some plywood floating around I can sheet it with though.

At least I have the ramp and can now load the damn thing tomorow anyway.

Why in the blue fuck are you gonna go up to Las Vegas, NM out of Abq to drop back down to 40 then down to Lake Eufaula only to go back upto 40? You're adding hours onto your trip doing that.
Closest Koa I could find in that general area. There wasn’t one down closer to i40 in that area.

That was actually my plan after calling 7 different places and coming Up empty on a ramp. I finally called ABF back and told them flat out if they did t get me a ramp they would be renting me a forklift. And what do you know, or five minutes later they called me back that a trailer had just come in to the hub with a ramp on it. I hopped in the Ram and drove over to the hub to pick it up. Of course it’s not a smooth ramp, so that’s going to make rolling the tool chests up it interesting. I think I still have some plywood floating around I can sheet it with though.

At least I have the ramp and can now load the damn thing tomorow anyway.
As dad used to say sometimes you just have to find the right desk to pound on

20minutes from departure on the first day you will be a min of 4hrs behind schedule! :flipoff2:
Good luck on the drive, it seems like it will be a blast!!
Lol. Probably. And those are just drive times. I’m planning at least an extra 2 to 3 hours a day on those times with fuel and food stops and sight seeing.

I give it till somewhere between AR and Tenn and you'll be over it:laughing:

You'll be all like "Just get me the fuck home"

You've chosen quite the undertaking with parents and kids involved:laughing:.

Multiple tow rigs and trailers.

I give it till somewhere between AR and Tenn and you'll be over it:laughing:

You'll be all like "Just get me the fuck home"

You've chosen quite the undertaking with parents and kids involved:laughing:.

Multiple tow rigs and trailers.
Tell me about it. Still cheaper than shipping my truck and the wife’s car though. I think the day at Hershey Park should hopefully help relieve the driving boredom and get us all recharged. Pools at the KOAs will be a nice break at the end of the day too.

Tell me about it. Still cheaper than shipping my truck and the wife’s car though. I think the day at Hershey Park should hopefully help relieve the driving boredom and get us all recharged. Pools at the KOAs will be a nice break at the end of the day too.
When Sharon and I drove cross country in the big motor home towing a trailer with a car we scheduled appx. 500 miles per day. that worked out great for us. Example................... Ramona - Cedar City, Utah, then Cedar City - Frisco, Co. etc.We usually got on the road about 7am and were at the RV park by 5pm.

When Sharon and I drove cross country in the big motor home towing a trailer with a car we scheduled appx. 500 miles per day. that worked out great for us. Example................... Ramona - Cedar City, Utah, then Cedar City - Frisco, Co. etc.We usually got on the road about 7am and were at the RV park by 5pm.
Yeah that’s about what I was aiming for. The first three days are the longest mileage wise. After that it tapers down a bit and towards the end we are doing 3 to 400 miles a day. Figured this was wise as we will still be fresh the first 3 days or so. I know my mom and her husband are planning to trade off driving duties in the truck. my wife says she is willing to share the driving, but she’s never driven the RV before and she is scared to because it’s so big. She says she is happy to drive on the nice straight highway stretches, but somehow I have a feeling I will be doing 95% or more of the driving.

Yeah that’s about what I was aiming for. The first three days are the longest mileage wise. After that it tapers down a bit and towards the end we are doing 3 to 400 miles a day. Figured this was wise as we will still be fresh the first 3 days or so. I know my mom and her husband are planning to trade off driving duties in the truck. my wife says she is willing to share the driving, but she’s never driven the RV before and she is scared to because it’s so big. She says she is happy to drive on the nice straight highway stretches, but somehow I have a feeling I will be doing 95% or more of the driving.
I never could get Sharon to drive the Renegade. It scared her, being so big and towing didn't help matters any. :laughing:

I never could get Sharon to drive the Renegade. It scared her, being so big and towing didn't help matters any. :laughing:
Yeah that’s about where my wife is at. 32’ of monster class C RV with 18’ of trailer behind it. Overall I’m at 54’ in length. She is seriously nervous as she’s never driven anything near that big.

Top Back Refresh