What's new

M.E.T. Snow Update

That's why I carry an angle grinder and some 6011 with me at all times 🔥🔥
Almost used that coming down the easy way from Signal Peak. Couldn‘t have posted a f’n sign that way was closed :mad3:
Used some charm with a local resident to help our group out.

I am guessing that is Amy

I would call the Forest Supervisor Jeff Marsolais directly, but he just left that position for a job in Washington DC. he still has the same email so I may try anyway. He does still live in Pollock Pines
I can try the district Ranger, Scot Rogers, but he has always been poor on communication.
will also reach out to the patrol Captain, Frank Aguilar

also, if they do have a plan to close them even during a storm, the county Sherriff department needs to know as they have their OHV jeep patrol that road in the winter. I will reach out to one of the deputies that has that assignment and see if he can find anything.

I sent emails last week to:

Patrol Captain- he replied and would forward to the Forest Supervisor
District Ranger- no reply
Forest Supervisor - no reply but he has moved to Washington DC so will look for the acting Supervisor.

Sheriff's department - replied they were told they were to be used in a disaster type event such as a wildfire.

two of the gates are known to be on SPI land.
will reach out to them to see if they approved that to be done or if they even need to be consulted.

I sent emails last week to:

Patrol Captain- he replied and would forward to the Forest Supervisor
District Ranger- no reply
Forest Supervisor - no reply but he has moved to Washington DC so will look for the acting Supervisor.

Sheriff's department - replied they were told they were to be used in a disaster type event such as a wildfire.

two of the gates are known to be on SPI land.
will reach out to them to see if they approved that to be done or if they even need to be consulted.
Kick ass man. Thank you for helping figure all this out.

well there is now snow on MET top to bottom with more on its way in fa few days.

as for the gates.
here is the official answer to them.

there is a likely scenario in the first 1-5 years following a catastrophic fire (like the Caldor Fire) that major components of roadways would fail significantly enough that we would need to reengineer and reconstruct the road prism and surface or be blocked by so much tree fall that would require extensive work. Obviously we are doing everything possible to keep that from happening, with BAER treatments mitigating significant runoff events, hazard tree NEPA and tree removal projects, etc. The gates were identified as a precautionary measure for public safety in the event of a road failure that required us to prohibit access and at this point we have yet to see an event that would warrant that.

well there is now snow on MET top to bottom with more on its way in fa few days.

as for the gates.

there is a likely scenario in the first 1-5 years following a catastrophic fire (like the Caldor Fire) that major components of roadways would fail significantly enough that we would need to reengineer and reconstruct the road prism and surface or be blocked by so much tree fall that would require extensive work. Obviously we are doing everything possible to keep that from happening, with BAER treatments mitigating significant runoff events, hazard tree NEPA and tree removal projects, etc. The gates were identified as a precautionary measure for public safety in the event of a road failure that required us to prohibit access and at this point we have yet to see an event that would warrant that.
Awesome. That's what I was hoping for. Thank you!

WAIT
WUT

"well there is now snow on MET top to bottom with more on its way in fa few days."
:bounce:

as for the gates.

Thanks for reaching out and gettin us some answers. Hopefully they will keep their word. See you out there

I'm down for tomorrow or Saturday.
Probably heading up tomorrow either way.

1667513068448.png

I'm gonna try and make it there Saturday morning. Gotta do a little work on the 4runner tomorrow after work.

I'm game for the 12th or the 13th, whatever works for everyone really.

Maybe sunday, if I get time tomorrow to pull some pm and swap tires...
Don't wait up.
I'll chime in tomorrow..

I gunna bail on this weeked and put some pm on the truck. I ran dusy opening week and got a few things I want to do.
It looks like next week is going to be a little better snowpac.
Ya'll have fun if you go this weekend :beer:

I'm game for holding off till next weekend. What works for everyone? Saturday or Sunday?

Edit: I prefer Saturday

Last edited:
If you guys wait till next week ,I'm open for the day that gets the most votes, and most base.

I have no idea what my plan is next weekend, heading your way after does sound like a lot of fun...

OK I'm doing next Saturday the 12th, everyone wanna meet up at the safeway in Sly Park? Figured everyone can grab a snack/ drinks/ lunch and fill up across the street. I'm also ok with just meeting at the trail head. Meet up time is the only unknown... maybe 9 or 10?

as for the gates.

OK
similar answer from the district ranger, which is good that they are consistent.

bad news is there are a lot more than we ewxpected

Those locations are the MET, North South and other locations noted in your email for a total of about 18 new gates

Top Back Refresh