What's new

M.E.T. Snow Update

There was a 15 acr.wild land fire monday west of pebble canyon, the chp cal fire had the road closed yesterday but with todays dusting who knows. I know it will be a zoo as usual this weekend.

Reactions: Clb
Heading there tomorrow, guess we’ll see how bad the zoo is.

Supposed to rain/snow all week so I’m planning to go next Sunday also.

Saturday had a time constraint and just needed some kids to see snow for the first time. Only went up to North South road and there was only 2” of snow. Was hoping snow level was lower but also didn’t have time to drive in very far.

Hope this weeks storm dump some, going back up Sunday and will drive as far as it takes to get real snow.

Here's hoping something dumps up there....
This storm petered out down here, was waiting on runoff to bring the sturgeon up the river did not get an inch.

Not super familiar with that area, but up my way we got snow down to 2400' or so. We're at 2800' and it was coming down fast last night, started sticking almost the instant it turned from rain. Of course the storm. Moved out and we only ended up with a little more than a dusting. Supposed to drop a lot this week, but I'll see it when I believe it. We ha ent had a real good storm in town for 20+ years. :frown:

Thanx
to bad there aint no global warming b.s. :rolleyes:
​​​​​​

Last few times I went up MET there was just too many dipshits. Not at all like when I was a kid.

Hard to think of a place that is NOT today:laughing:
looks like this week could be decent...

Last edited:
I've been keeping an eye on this through the week and its been steadily snowing. Also heard there was a ton of downed trees last weekend. Some friends of mine said they went up Saturday and only made it a little past Leek Springs before having to turn around. Then I saw on Instagram yesterday that there is a open path now all the way to Highway 88. Some friends and I plan to go up on Saturday. We'll see how bad the shit show is lol

www.pollockpinesweathercam.com/

Last edited:
Depth report???
enough to stick as a base?
thanx

Last edited:
someone go play already...
got a second hand report of "rained out" ??

We ended up going to Wentworth Springs Saturday instead of MET. The weather was perfect all day. We made it a ways pas Uncle Tom's to the furthest point anyone had gone. I saw multiple friends post on Instagram about MET Saturday and they made it to North South before the snow got too deep. The pictures i saw were up to the hood. Didn't see anything close to rained out.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2330.JPG Views:	0 Size:	557.9 KB ID:	295431

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2329.JPG Views:	0 Size:	643.6 KB ID:	295432

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2343.JPG Views:	0 Size:	378.6 KB ID:	295433

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2332.JPG Views:	0 Size:	208.3 KB ID:	295434

Sunday was awesome on MET, snow was really wet and grippy. Was about 2.5 feet deep on the side. Had kids and they wanted to play, so we didn’t try to get far. We didn’t even go as far as North South cuz kids just wanted to stop. Way different than last week where N/S road had like an inch of snow. Not to many people. Sorry, no pics.

IMG_20210128_164400.jpg
Again, not MET exactly, but a little north.

Weekend was awesome, great snow around 5k feet. Got of early Tuesday and tried to head up. Apparently the down pour we got went up pretty high. Like 5500' so you'd be driving down the packed trail barely making tracks, then sink all the way down to the ground :laughing:

I guess it also froze down to the valley too, so it's probably all ice.

I'd like to take my new toy to some new areas, let me know if anyone is doing a run.

62*
light traffic on 50, real light 2-3 groups on the trail, lots of citizens down low with kids
Got around 10 miles in and got turnt back by F.S. "Gate closed"

How was the traffic / crowds?

the more it snows, the worse it gets. it will reach a breaking point sometime in the near future where the FS has to do something about it.

I was out on Saturday 1/30 just after the storm stopped.
was a zoo of cars right after the dam with everyone trying to find a place to park and play in the snow with the kids.
after that, hundreds of vehicles, rigs, SXS, etc wanting to play on MET. I took a side route (legal and open) an after 2 miles there were only 6 vehicles I saw back there all day.
then as I got back closer to MET the road was blocked as a guy in a diesel ford just about killed his family when he slid off the edge of the road, came about a foot from it going down 150' to the river below. 4 hours and lots of winching to get them out.

too many idiots come out when it snows now.

too many idiots come out when it snows now.

That sounds more like what i was expecting to hear lol. Last time i was there was the first week of January and it was a shit show. Even though its been that way for years, I'm always surprised at the amount of idiots / completely unprepared people there. Especially the people in brand new trucks lol.

Has anybody seen the burn piles this year? I've always heard of them but have never seen one in person until then. We all thought it was super cool to see in person.

IMG_2235.jpg

X Mas tree season is always really bad around here. Everyone who has anything remotely resembling an suv thinks they can just drive anywhere. :laughing:​​​​​​

Once the snow get deep, it's a little better. Then it's just idiots with 37-42s who think 12 lbs is good for snow.

As far as the burn piles, they lit some yuge ones near me during the last snow/rain storm. It snowed ~4", rained for like 4 days, and POURED all night on the last day. It burned down to almost Nothing during all that and was still smoking for at least a few days.

Has anybody seen the burn piles this year?

Yup, they made them very large this year.
those are SPI lands (Sierra Pacific Industries)
it also got away from them on 1/19 when we got some high winds before the snow came back.
it was the Cold Fire
didnt burn to much but cost them some money to have it put out

Went up today, crowds were mild. No snow at the lake, so the usual car traffic wasn’t there. As we went in around noon, there was a group, parked on both sides of the road then had to occupy the road to air down. :confused:

Someone had a nice looking 78/79 Bronco, love that body style.

Went up today, crowds were mild. No snow at the lake, so the usual car traffic wasn’t there. As we went in around noon, there was a group, parked on both sides of the road then had to occupy the road to air down. :confused:

Someone had a nice looking 78/79 Bronco, love that body style.

Was it a purple Bronco with blue bumpers?

BTW... tracks are currently cut all the way to Silverfork Road.

Reminder... from Silverfork on to hwy 88 is for tracked vehicles only. Continue at your own risk in 4x4 vehicles.

Got another foot of snow just before Valentines Day.... so the crowds should thin out for a while up high until wider tracks are made to Silverfork.

It was dark gray, looked clean. I didn’t get pics or remember which group it was with. Or maybe it was a behind a group of Tacoma’s, they were getting a big Dodge diesel turned around, at Pebble Creek Road.

Reminder... from Silverfork on to hwy 88 is for tracked vehicles only. Continue at your own risk in 4x4 vehicles.

Just to clarify this.
it used to be you could not go past the Silverfork junction in a wheel vehicle.
this year it is now the 9N20 junction, about a mile past Silverfork ( high saddle before the meadow)

here is the Forest order that relates to that
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd878840.pdf

also you cannot go down Silverfork road as well any longer
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd872626.pdf

Top Back Refresh