What's new

Lumber prices WTF?

If you have to pay someone else for the labor and intend to spend more than 20yr in the house metal has been the better value for awhile now.
I'm still not sold on metal roofs. :roxy:

what's not to believe? the stand up to hail and other stuff much better than shingles. a few dings maybe but the roof doesn't leak after.

Reactions: DMG
Why?

You probably drive past three barns with their original 1930s galvanized roofs on your way to work.
When shopping for our current place, we looked at a bunch of houses and three(?) had metal roofs. They were either slapped over the existing roof, crooked as shit, and one you could see all 10,000 screws backed out. I mean, I guess there are good ones out there. But they houses I looked at that had them, left me wondering. Kind of jaded I guess.

So now that futures are on their way down, when will I be able to buy 2x4s under $10 again?
Never.

Retail will stay high until they all undercut each other from competition and that takes time.

Shit is inflating faster than that causes prices to go down.

When shopping for our current place, we looked at a bunch of houses and three(?) had metal roofs. They were either slapped over the existing roof, crooked as shit, and one you could see all 10,000 screws backed out. I mean, I guess there are good ones out there. But they houses I looked at that had them, left me wondering. Kind of jaded I guess.
I could drive you down my road and point out multiple shitty shingle jobs too. Don't blame the product blame the cheap ass shitty homeowner who likely did the job themselves. A good tin roof done properly is fucking near a forever roof.

You can easily find shingle roofing done just as poorly. My opinion, it is easier to fuk up a shingle roof than a metal one. I have more than 10 buildings (barns, sheds, animal covers, etc) all with repurposed steel roofing used for both roof and siding. I buy whole barn roof take-offs when they come up available. All of those buildings perform better in weather and wind than my house, which is the only shingled structure. When the time comes to redo the house roof, I will be going steel.

The other benefit for steel roof is the fire resistance if you live in a wildfire area. I personally dont, but know many that live in the trees and worry about that issue.

You can easily find shingle roofing done just as poorly. My opinion, it is easier to fuk up a shingle roof than a metal one. I have more than 10 buildings (barns, sheds, animal covers, etc) all with repurposed steel roofing used for both roof and siding. I buy whole barn roof take-offs when they come up available. All of those buildings perform better in weather and wind than my house, which is the only shingled structure. When the time comes to redo the house roof, I will be going steel.

The other benefit for steel roof is the fire resistance if you live in a wildfire area. I personally dont, but know many that live in the trees and worry about that issue.
Yea, I never fully looked into it. Just that all the houses we looked at with a metal roof, was absolutely garbage. I've roofed about 30 homes in my life with my Dad and grandfather, and as far I as I know, are still holding. So its really just a perspective thing I think.

Anyone considering buying a mill? I've looked at the woodmizer and woodland 126 series with the 14hp. With a bed extension its looking to be around 4k.
The woodmizer comes with a 7hp and 9-1/2hp option. I'm not sure either wood cut very quick.

The Norwood looks interesting too.

What kind of lead time on getting the mill? It maybe by the time it ships lumber is back to reasonable prices.

Anyone considering buying a mill?

No, but this is what it looks like around me, so I wouldnt have much use for it.
ional-grasslands-road-colorado-1600x800-1-1600x800.jpg

No, but this is what it looks like around me, so I wouldnt have much use for it.
ional-grasslands-road-colorado-1600x800-1-1600x800.jpg
I've got plenty all around be. Everything from southern yellow pine, popular, oaks, cedar and walnut.

Anyone considering buying a mill? I've looked at the woodmizer and woodland 126 series with the 14hp. With a bed extension its looking to be around 4k.
The woodmizer comes with a 7hp and 9-1/2hp option. I'm not sure either wood cut very quick.

I have been watching a ton of vids thinking seriously about building one, just for fun

I looked at bandsaw mills a few months ago and they were all 4-6 months out. Has it gotten better?

Edit you can build a good on for under 4k including paying for plans as well as good motor of choice.

edit 2. I think Matt Cremona on YT sells a copy of his plans and his is a pretty kick ass mill if you have BIG trees around.

From what I have heard talking with wildland fire fighters it helps but not unless the rest of the house is taken into account. Pretty much no wood at least on the exterior. Also need a way to close you soffit and roof vents as well. Embers can and will get drafted into you roof/attic venting and then your metal roof does nothing.

I have been watching a ton of vids thinking seriously about building one, just for fun
Same here.

Other than the steel they seem real cheap to build.

Yea, I never fully looked into it. Just that all the houses we looked at with a metal roof, was absolutely garbage. I've roofed about 30 homes in my life with my Dad and grandfather, and as far I as I know, are still holding. So its really just a perspective thing I think.
If you'd taken me up on the F150 you could have seen my roof which is done well.

But some asshole from connecticut is getting it instead. :flipoff2:

The other issue (per my co-workers in our local VFD) is that if you ever get a fire up there and it lights the asphalt shingles under the tin roof on fire, the house is gone...
Only way I would put a tin roof on a house is after a tear off.

Aaron Z

Anyone considering buying a mill? I've looked at the woodmizer and

nope, my local saw mill place gets me all my wood I need rough cut hem fir for my barn, decking for trailer and wood for various other projects. cheap enough in any size I need.
no labor on my end.
this load was 800, has 4 x 8 x 16 beams 2x4x12, 2x6x16, and 5/4 × 6 x 12 plus some 4 x 4 x 12. all full size.
32387.jpeg

I'm still not sold on metal roofs. :roxy:
They suck. You get no cell service or poor service. Heavy rains they are noisy. Imagine trying to talk on your phone on the porch but the damn roof is to damn loud.
The rubber washer and screw eventually leak. On barns small leaks aren't as big of deal but drywall, furnishings, its important. Summer the roof will heat up and make popping noises and while cooling off.

My experience. Good for detached garages, horse barns, shit house.

They suck. You get no cell service or poor service. Heavy rains they are noisy. Imagine trying to talk on your phone on the porch but the damn roof is to damn loud.
The rubber washer and screw eventually leak. On barns small leaks aren't as big of deal but drywall, furnishings, its important. Summer the roof will heat up and make popping noises and while cooling off.

My experience. Good for detached garages, horse barns, shit house.
funny does not block my cell.
cannot hear the rain.
but mine was installed correctly and is a true standing seem system.

Top Back Refresh