What's new

Lumber prices WTF?

Could be the newest trend - minimalist outhouse. None of those confining walls or doors to divide us from each other. Inclusion bro.
With a non binary , gender fluid, outhouse, who needs walls ?

Looks like some good news boys, here is the update I received Friday:

Overview - Prices of lumber broke to the downside in record-breaking fashion, with Southern Pine and Canadian SPF leading the chaotic rout for a second straight week. The end result was a record weekly drop in the Lumber Composite Price, as the index plummeted by $122, easily besting the previous record. Fading retail sales were cited as one factor, while traders also noted that builders were pulling back. As lumber supplies loosen, builders reportedly continue to struggle to procure panels, and various other products across the supply chain.

SPF - Buyers kept a low profile and mills turned more aggressive in seeking them out to find trading levels. Traders noted that the market was in a complete rediscovery phase, as prices fell precipitously off their historic highs.

Studs - Buyers pulled back from the market in droves, as prices spiraled downward. SPF prices fell mostly by triple digits, with some mills lowering quotes by more than $200.

OSB - Reported prices held close to midweek levels, but the tone of the market was affected by the record drops in lumber. Mill sales were sparse in the second half of the week, and many dealers and distributors shied away from purchasing loads that often wouldn't ship until July. Secondaries who had been selling at huge premiums to mill replacement costs trimmed asking levels.

PLY - Upward price pressure persisted, but gains were lighter and more limited as the week progressed. Prices often hinged on lead times, with quicker shipping panels selling more readily at premiums. Buyers found little availability left in July, while order files extended as far out as early September. Some producers remained off the market for much or all of the week.

1623674711434.png

well, my earlier posts were wrong. Saw $1/ft of PT deck boards, but got to lowes and it was closer to $1.50 in real life. Apparently online the same exact product has 2 different SKU's and the lower priced was of course not the one in stock. Must be how they're handling the price change craziness

said screw that, left, got halfway home, turned around, and bit the bullet. Only cost me another $100 or so and let me finish the project, but I went to HD who was 5-10% cheaper.

The slide continues. We are definitely in a rediscovery phase right now.

It may take a while before these prices are reflected at the consumer level. The inventory yards have on hand has a high cost basis, and any good yard has pre-ordered inventory already through July (at high prices).

Overview - Buyers' fear of downside risk crippled lumber trading. Prices plummeted, often in even steeper increments than last week's record-breaking plunges. Some prices shed around $200 without stirring much interest. Several key items reportedly sold for under $1,000 for the first time in months. The implosion in lumber prices distracted panel traders, and sales slowed.

1623847033174.png

"Chipboard" aka OSB should not be as expensive as it is. Doesn't make sense. That crap balloons with any kind of moisture intrusion, and seismic locations have ruled it out for anything except roof sheathing. Can't stand the stuff, myself.

$52.95 a sheet for 7/16” osb at Lowe’s this morning. $10.77 for 2x4-8 pt. $8.79 for untreated. They had plenty on hand.

That’s fucking insane
Had to make a run to Lowe's this morning for electrical/wiring for a project. OSB here in NM was $53 per sheet also. Sheetrock was $24 a sheet. Also, the electrical aisle was damn near empty of any plastic items, boxes, covers etc.

“Somebody in this industry is making literally a price-gouging killing,” he said. “But as logging contractors, we’re paid less now than when that piece of plywood was eight bucks a sheet.”

^^ that supply issue for items other than lumber is getting worse and will be really bad in a couple months. Getting the actual light fixtures will be next to impossible due to the shortage of electronic parts.

all I know from reading this new stuff

I was right in using the term "futures" cuz someone else mentioned them too

it looks like I'm still gonna have to wait a while before starting any new construction at the ranch :(

..not even a shed of our own

nothing greedy about maximizing profits.

You do it, I do it, we all do it in our personal life...
You are correct of course, but when these companies, and all companies really, are hurting, I hope that they take it in the ass and don't even think about suggesting a bailout, loan, etc.

Live by pressing for what you can get when you can get it, and die by it when the tide rolls away from you

Glad to see this is starting to fall back down. Just in time for me to start buying stuff for the new house. I was thinking I was gonna have to hold off on all but the must do stuff for a while.

the electrical supply shortages worry me a bit though. I’ve seen it here at my local HD were most of the old work plastic boxes are long gone from the shelves. Outlet stocks looked good though and that’s mostly what I need anyway.

32387.jpeg
pick this load up for 800.00
cut a local mill.
have enough to do the deck on my hay wagon. completely frame a 10 x 20 shed.
going back next week to pick up the decking for the trailer in the picture.
125.00 in full thickness and width 2 x 6

Same as gasoline

the prices spikes overnight but takes weeks and weeks to drift halfway back down and never goes much lower than 50% above what it started out.

"Chipboard" aka OSB should not be as expensive as it is. Doesn't make sense. That crap balloons with any kind of moisture intrusion, and seismic locations have ruled it out for anything except roof sheathing. Can't stand the stuff, myself.
I feel you. I've always looked at OSB as a shit product, hell even the "weather proof" stuff swells if you so much as let your dog piss on it.

Funny thing here where I live is OSB has always been sold at a premium over PLY, I don't know why but it has. I buy PLY because I think it's 100x more durable and generally just a better all around product.

Every single house but one I've seen being built since forever has used OSB:confused: The one house belongs to my friend and he demanded PLY when he built, the builder put up some fuss but finally agreed. I wonder if these builders get a bigger discount per volume on OSB or something.

FWIW OSB was a couple bucks higher than PLY here yesterday.

I wonder whatever happened to that fiberous low density thick dark brown masonite "bild-rite" shit

whenever I hear you people grousing about OSB, that's what I think you're bitching about

OSB is fine for shear... the three places I refuse to use are TGI floor joist, subfloor and roof sheathing. I ALWAYS opt for ply in those areas. Obviously not the joist... those are 2x that vary in size for span, but I have seen far to many rotted tgi floor joist to trust them. EVER.

Top Back Refresh