What's new

Lumber prices WTF?

And standing seam is the only way to go for a residential application. Just put it on the cabin in 2011.

They suck. You get no cell service or poor service. Heavy rains they are noisy. Imagine trying to talk on your phone on the porch but the damn roof is to damn loud.
The rubber washer and screw eventually leak. On barns small leaks aren't as big of deal but drywall, furnishings, its important. Summer the roof will heat up and make popping noises and while cooling off.

My experience. Good for detached garages, horse barns, shit house.
I put exposed fastener metal roof on our first house 30 years ago. Still there with no leaks. Been through 2 hail storms that caused neighbors with shingles to replace. Had damage from Katrina that caused us to replace about 6 panels due to big limbs going through

gauge matters

I’m a big guy and would walk around on it to blow off leaves pine straw

Reactions: DMG
We've got a new Amish mill just down the road, I spoke with them about sawing me some lumber and they said they would be glad to but can't do it right away as they are busy sawing for themselves at the moment. (they are new to the area) They did give me a price list and it seems reasonable enough.

I have experience paying for and having both. They are not “two different worlds”
Again...clueless. with the exposed fasteners the only thing between you and a leak is a rubber grommet that will eventually dry out and crack. It will be a slow leak that you probably won't even notice. The wood will start soaking it up. Eventually a good uplift will take it off and you'll see all the little holes where the wood deteriorated around the screws.

Sure you can replace the screws before the grommet drys out but you have to use a bigger screw.

Yes, there is a world of difference. One is a barn roof and one is and engineered roof system.

Again...clueless. with the exposed fasteners the only thing between you and a leak is a rubber grommet that will eventually dry out and crack. It will be a slow leak that you probably won't even notice. The wood will start soaking it up. Eventually a good uplift will take it off and you'll see all the little holes where the wood deteriorated around the screws.

Sure you can replace the screws before the grommet drys out but you have to use a bigger screw.

Yes, there is a world of difference. One is a barn roof and one is and engineered roof system.
No, not a world of difference. Standing seam requires good installation just like any other roof

all of the barns, etc I personally have plus the 30yo low pitch house and I don‘t have these phantom leaks. If these worried leaks were so prevalent, they would not be used in commercial construction

I got standing seam for the look, but the cost is significantly higher

I put exposed fastener metal roof on our first house 30 years ago. Still there with no leaks. Been through 2 hail storms that caused neighbors with shingles to replace. Had damage from Katrina that caused us to replace about 6 panels due to big limbs going through

gauge matters

I’m a big guy and would walk around on it to blow off leaves pine straw

Just my experience with a metal roof. Maybe on a 2 story house the noise is less or as you stated the gauge. I agree they are durable and work good. I still wouldn't use it on my house.

Had a meeting with a builder yesterday who is pretty savvy with market prices and he said lumber is going down according to Bloomberg projections.. but nobody can predict the future.

No, not a world of difference. Standing seam requires good installation just like any other roof

all of the barns, etc I personally have plus the 30yo low pitch house and I don‘t have these phantom leaks. If these worried leaks were so prevalent, they would not be used in commercial construction

I got standing seam for the look, but the cost is significantly higher

Will you at least agree, when installed properly, nothing is currently superior by design than standing seam for residential construction.

Will you at least agree, when installed properly, nothing is currently superior by design than standing seam for residential construction.
i do agree.

I disagreed with, which I pointed out, the “world’s apart” statement

He’s referring to a cellular repeater
Yes, this.

Moved to a new place 2018, only 2-3 bars outside. Shop had 0 coverage with the doors closed, house had 0 in the center but 1-2 bars out by windows. House has some new weird bullshit ass foil back osb decking on the roof.

$300 signal "booster" fixed it. I used quotations, because it's not actually a booster... it just gives you outdoor signal indoors with metal roofs/ shops/ etc.

yea, I've got PowerLine adapters throughout. Worked well. My deer stand out in the woods gets on bar on the wi-fi, haha.

But internet goes down, good luck. one bar and like 3G service. you ain't getting shit. :laughing:

yea, I've got PowerLine adapters throughout. Worked well. My deer stand out in the woods gets on bar on the wi-fi, haha.

But internet goes down, good luck. one bar and like 3G service. you ain't getting shit. :laughing:
I have ubiquiti nanostations meshed at my farm. No cell service over most of it, but I have wifi accessible from half the stands

I have ubiquiti nanostations meshed at my farm. No cell service over most of it, but I have wifi accessible from half the stands
Someone mentioned that I should do that, but not really worth the effort unless I wanted to drop several hundred on deer cams that I can view remotely.

maybe in an area with lots of sunlight and constant heat. The rubber washers seem to hold up fine around here.

maybe in an area with lots of sunlight and constant heat. The rubber washers seem to hold up fine around here.

There are also different types and quality. Some have the washer captured under the head, not just bonded to a washer. I'd imagine they are better being protected from uv and cracking. I use a quality screw with bonded rubber washer on most projects, but they are all steel buildings.

There are also different types and quality. Some have the washer captured under the head, not just bonded to a washer. I'd imagine they are better being protected from uv and cracking. I use a quality screw with bonded rubber washer on most projects, but they are all steel buildings.
That's what I used too, also was told "Do not crank them down" salesman took me out and showed me just how tight was tight enough.

had to re read the thread title again, thought it changed to "girls bitching about metal roofs and cell phones"

Home Depot today Placerville CA
3/4 CDX $93
3/4 ACX $107
plus tax and lumber fee

bought a cordless DeWalt circular saw to cut the wood....
but will wait a while before I buy the plywood :laughing:

I was talking to a home builder yesterday from Kingman, Az area and he said lumber prices are on the way down. Just wait a few more months

Reactions: DMG
We have lots of sun and heat in summer, lots or rain amd 40-60 in spring and fall with up to 40 degree swings. And cold and snowy most winters. The washers usually go tits up every 10 years around here. Probably replacing out screw down with standing seem this summer. I live on the west side on the cascades in the foothills in washington. About 20 miles from the PCT.

We have lots of sun and heat in summer, lots or rain amd 40-60 in spring and fall with up to 40 degree swings. And cold and snowy most winters. The washers usually go tits up every 10 years around here. Probably replacing out screw down with standing seem this summer. I live on the west side on the cascades in the foothills in washington. About 20 miles from the PCT.
People really like them here in Pennsylvania and I never hear anything bad about the screws. Maybe the old ones had crappier screws. I suspect quality of install, roof pitch and various other things are a factor.

People really like them here in Pennsylvania and I never hear anything bad about the screws. Maybe the old ones had crappier screws. I suspect quality of install, roof pitch and various other things are a factor.
Most of the ones around me are 6/12 pitch or steeper mine is a 10/12. No idea if that has something to do with it.

Back in the day barn roofs were secured with nails that had lead around the heads. They almost never leaked if properly installed, even after a hundred years. The old rubber ones would crack in no time. Then there is proper installation, running the screw down until the washer mashes out is not the correct way. Standing seam will always be "better" with proper installation because the fasteners are hidden. It's also $1250-$1500 a square here.

Back in the day barn roofs were secured with nails that had lead around the heads. They almost never leaked if properly installed, even after a hundred years. The old rubber ones would crack in no time. Then there is proper installation, running the screw down until the washer mashes out is not the correct way. Standing seam will always be "better" with proper installation because the fasteners are hidden. It's also $1250-$1500 a square here.
Yep. The newer washers are way better, too.

Top Back Refresh