What's new

Lumber prices WTF?

Back in the day barn roofs were secured with nails that had lead around the heads. They almost never leaked if properly installed, even after a hundred years. The old rubber ones would crack in no time. Then there is proper installation, running the screw down until the washer mashes out is not the correct way. Standing seam will always be "better" with proper installation because the fasteners are hidden. It's also $1250-$1500 a square here.
I always thought the roofs with nails did always leak a little but it was on the order of a few drops per storm, so it'd dry back out pretty quick with open rafters.
Because even when nailing on the top of the corrugation it'll catch a few drops in the exact wrong place to get in
also, you aren't mashing that dead soft lead tight enough to seal against the lightweight tin that a cheap bastard farmer woulda sprung for.

I was talking to a home builder yesterday from Kingman, Az area and he said lumber prices are on the way down. Just wait a few more months
Yeah prices will drop because all the overstock will eventually just be in the way and cost them to store it because nobody is buying it.

Prices continue to free-fall for framing lumber. OSB isn't dropping as fast. Costs are about the same as early April now, still about 20-30% higher than peak 2020 costs.

The trend is expected to continue.

People really like them here in Pennsylvania and I never hear anything bad about the screws. Maybe the old ones had crappier screws. I suspect quality of install, roof pitch and various other things are a factor.
Standing seam is worth the extra money on a residence and is IMHO the best roof choice for a simple roof, I'd never do r-panel on a house for the reasons others have mentioned. Fine for short spans on barns and sheds though. Long spans will leak at the screws from the metal expanding and contracting and oblonging the holes out even if the gaskets are still okay.
If you are using regular r-panel typle metal roofing then use the square drive button head fasteners that cover the gasket and protect it from the sun. They also let the snow shed easier. #12-14 x 1-1/4" Eclipse Steelbinder Metal Roofing Screw - Black, Pkg 250

Standing seam is worth the extra money on a residence and is IMHO the best roof choice for a simple roof, I'd never do r-panel on a house for the reasons others have mentioned. Fine for short spans on barns and sheds though. Long spans will leak at the screws from the metal expanding and contracting and oblonging the holes out even if the gaskets are still okay.
If you are using regular r-panel typle metal roofing then use the square drive button head fasteners that cover the gasket and protect it from the sun. They also let the snow shed easier. #12-14 x 1-1/4" Eclipse Steelbinder Metal Roofing Screw - Black, Pkg 250
And yet it’s used on commercial construction with 50ft lengths and doesn’t leak

the leak bullshit is simply attempt to justify the extra cost of SS

both will leak if not installed properly

And yet it’s used on commercial construction with 50ft lengths and doesn’t leak

the leak bullshit is simply attempt to justify the extra cost of SS

both will leak if not installed properly
We have R panels on many of the roofs at work, some of them have ripped holes 3/8" diameter around the screws.
Going forward all our roofs will be single piece standing seam roofs.

Aaron Z

For all of you telling us that the screws normally used on ribbed steel roofs will fail, do you have any documented evidence or this just what you feel

I used 18 guage b deck rolled from weathering steel for my canopy. Very strong, not denting this stuff or tearing it off. I'm doing another job with 18g b deck as the roof surface now.

For all of you telling us that the screws normally used on ribbed steel roofs will fail, do you have any documented evidence or this just what you feel
I see the steel ribbed roofs all the time up here that have been there for 50 years, issue free.

It's what they feel, or it was a botched job.

Prices continue to free-fall for framing lumber. OSB isn't dropping as fast. Costs are about the same as early April now, still about 20-30% higher than peak 2020 costs.

Lumber trading prices have been on a steady decline.

50B5C566-5AF1-42B6-916F-02B00F853C76.png

Hopefully, structural steel prices will start to drop soon. I am waiting on prices to drop at the advice of the steel erection company I want to use to build my shopdominium. What was $23,000 in material last year is $40,000 right now was the example I was given.

Good. I've got shit to build.

Gonna take a loooong time to see it in the stores, I figure maybe next year this time if nothing else happens to drive the price back up.
That's fine. I've started clearing a bit of land. By the time I get all the trees down, processed, stumped, and backfilled I should be good and ready.

We are talking about building a bardominium. I called the builder who built my 60x60 at my current house and asked if would put up standing seam so there would be no screws(at least on the roof). His argument followed most here until I reminded him that when he put up my building I had a dozen or so leakers. I spent two months waiting on rain to track them down, tighten/replace/seal them up so I could spray foam the building. Trouble is, what if it leaks and stays between the metal and the spray foam? Wouldn't that be a worse scenario if your house is inside that building?

edit to mention watching the lumber prices closely too!

Gonna take a loooong time to see it in the stores, I figure maybe next year this time if nothing else happens to drive the price back up.

What we've been hearing in the trades is that we will see slight declines in pricing this late summer/fall, with the real noticeable changes coming the 1st quarter of next year.

That's fine. I've started clearing a bit of land. By the time I get all the trees down, processed, stumped, and backfilled I should be good and ready.
You, me, and almost and everyone else too.

I've seen some movement, we peaked at $10.98 for a regular 2x4x8' up here in Canada around a month ago. It's down to $9.75 now and was $9.95 last week. Could be back to around $5-6 by end of summer I'd guess.

Go look at a house with those screws. Do I have documentation that me roof was installed correctly 15 years ago before I bought it? Nope but I can show pictures where the screws are missing after 15 years.
471852C9-62A0-4DE4-AE07-2AFFD1F8989C.jpeg

I put the bigger screws in the north side last summer. Going to do the south side and add snow stops this summer. Its the constant expanding amd contraction of the roof with the temps that causes it to happen from what I have been told.

As for “documented evidence” what exactly would qualify as “documented evidence” Hundreds of people in town have the same problem.

Hopefully, structural steel prices will start to drop soon. I am waiting on prices to drop at the advice of the steel erection company I want to use to build my shopdominium. What was $23,000 in material last year is $40,000 right now was the example I was given.
I'm in the industry (fabricator) and I am not hopeful for prices to even level out until the 4th quarter.

I'm in the industry (fabricator) and I am not hopeful for prices to even level out until the 4th quarter.
I'm guessing third quarter next year we will see the prices start to fall coming out of the mills.... but that will only because the economy will have been tanked for the first part of 2022:eek:I am not thinking this boom will last much longer...

I'm guessing third quarter next year we will see the prices start to fall coming out of the mills.... but that will only because the economy will have been tanked for the first part of 2022:eek:I am not thinking this boom will last much longer...
Hopefully they at least level off before then. I might as well be using a Magic 8 Ball for my estimates on anything that is more that 2 weeks from delivery (virtually everything).

Hopefully they at least level off before then. I might as well be using a Magic 8 Ball for my estimates on anything that is more that 2 weeks from delivery (virtually everything).
I know exactly what you mean... I'm pricing stuff to include substantial increases for the next year. Problem is that I'm still getting projects. Obviously my prices aren't high enough...

Top Back Refresh