What's new

Lets talk DIY turbos & DynoJet tuning

My quest is stock power at altitude not increased power (I was greedy with the 100hp benchmark).

Do the big bore kit and cams and be done. You will get the "stock" level of performance at altitude and it will be a torque monster at normal altitudes. Cheap(ish), easy and reliable. In order to put boost to that engine and keep it reliable you will have to open up the engine to swap the pistons so it doesn't really save you from doing engine work.

Last edited:
Do the big bore kit and cams and be done. You will get the "stock" level of performance at altitude and it will be a torque monster at normal altitudes. Cheap(ish), easy and reliable. In order to put boost to that engine and keep it reliable you will have to open up the engine to swap the pistons so it doesn't really save you from doing engine work.
I'm considering all options...
I was browsing today for totalled x3's on Copart.

Don't forget about that place Crashed Toyz in Dallas that does powersports wreck auctions, they always have a pile of SxS's out front.
Yeah that's the store front for Copart, they share listings.

Supposedly the X3 transmission is the same as the Maverick... So it seems possible the ACE 900 could be put into the MavT.

I do know bare engines have crazy prices. I guess I could sell my old one for "crazy" price too?

Does this help you out any?

Screenshot_20230720-163348_Samsung Internet.jpg

Doooooo iiiiit! :smokin:
I'm gonna try and get some measurements this weekend of a local X3 to confirm this is workable. I'm recklessly assuming it will fit behind the seats, rear firewall, it might not which will kill this idea before it got started.

200hp turbo 50" sxs sounds fun :lmao:

I'll be curious to see what your measurements tell you, I'm thinking that 3 cyl ain't gonna fit where the Vtwin did without some fab work.

Its 3 wide though not for-aft like the V twin.
Ya no way it will fit and stay 50" wide. I have seen both of those engines out and on a bench at the same time. The 3 cyl is double the width of the twin at least. The a-arms are what 6-8 inches long stock. I don't think you could make it work without adding several inches of width. With the twin in between the seats its tight in one of those with 2 adult size people. Then add another 6-8 inches of motor width, maybe as a single seater. I doubt it would even work in the sport model unless you ran mav trail a-arms.

Ya no way it will fit and stay 50" wide. I have seen both of those engines out and on a bench at the same time. The 3 cyl is double the width of the twin at least. The a-arms are what 6-8 inches long stock. I don't think you could make it work without adding several inches of width. With the twin in between the seats its tight in one of those with 2 adult size people. Then add another 6-8 inches of motor width, maybe as a single seater. I doubt it would even work in the sport model unless you ran mav trail a-arms.
The MavT is not a mid engine machine.
I would not change anything suspension related, only engine swap.

I think there is plenty of room ONLY for the engine itself.
Still trying to get measurements locally.

Note crank center lines of each engine.
I think the turbo location is the only limiting factor to this.

1690203524248.png

1000005552.jpg

1690203609492.png

Last edited:
The MavT is not a mid engine machine.
I would not change anything suspension related, only engine swap.

I think there is plenty of room ONLY for the engine itself.
Still trying to get measurements locally.
No it's not, but it is right against the seats pretty much. I'm pretty sure the width at the top to bottom of the twin VS the 3 cylinder is going to be a pretty big factor at keeping the rear of the chassis anywhere near stock. Then add the clutch to that extra width will only compound that. I could be wrong it's been a while since I have had to deal with those things.

No it's not, but it is right against the seats pretty much. I'm pretty sure the width at the top to bottom of the twin VS the 3 cylinder is going to be a pretty big factor at keeping the rear of the chassis anywhere near stock. Then add the clutch to that extra width will only compound that. I could be wrong it's been a while since I have had to deal with those things.
Yeah I understand but I don't really let minor issues dictate what is possible.
This is all a trade off, if I can get a 100% reliable 175hp engine some minor fabrication is worth it. Obviously if the turbo is between the seats that doesn't work.

If remote mounting it in the rear like Force does resolves all that then I'd say it might be a workable. I really need to get some physical measurements so I can compare. Not saying it's possible but not saying it's not either.

I mean anything is possible. They carving caverns into dudes and adding mountains to women these days so anything you can dream up is possible. I think you will have a real issue making the chassis wide enough at the motor that It doest cause an issue with mounting points of the rear a-arms and rear tire clearance. 50" outside to outside is going to be tight if you try to run anything bigger that a 25"tire. Hey I want to see the pics if you get it figured out. As short and narrow as those things are, even 125 hp would be a handful. Better upgrade the cage because that thing will be a barrel rolling machine. Good luck.

I mean anything is possible. They carving caverns into dudes and adding mountains to women these days so anything you can dream up is possible. I think you will have a real issue making the chassis wide enough at the motor that It doest cause an issue with mounting points of the rear a-arms and rear tire clearance. 50" outside to outside is going to be tight if you try to run anything bigger that a 25"tire. Hey I want to see the pics if you get it figured out. As short and narrow as those things are, even 125 hp would be a handful. Better upgrade the cage because that thing will be a barrel rolling machine. Good luck.
Unless I am missing something there isn't anything in the engine area that would effect the suspension.
The A arms are all in the rear, located near the trans which would not move in any way.

More to come.

Unless I am missing something there isn't anything in the engine area that would effect the suspension.
The A arms are all in the rear, located near the trans which would not move in any way.

More to come.
Cool man you got it figured out. Post pics when you get it In there. I want to see.it.

Cool man you got it figured out. Post pics when you get it In there. I want to see.it.
I have it far from figured out and its possible there is a glaring reason why it won't even begin to work.
I would have thought if it was possible someone would have done a Sport by now.
I suppose you could get 150+ hp out of the 1000R turbo XDS V-twin so there is no need for a repower.

That is still on the table too, $400 in forged coated pistons and I can put whatever turbo on it I think it needs.

Still trying to figure out the sizing of Force Turbos...

This is a pretty serious engine calculator.
I think I see why the turbo map showed 0 to negative horsepower in the Garret calculator.
That engine (4 valve 800cc) at the RPM it spins is sort of supposed to make more power than the target I was entering...
You can see that on this calculator playing with the various RPMS and atmospheric pressures.
To keep the 50 HP at altitude I really just need to maintain the 14.7 psi of sea level... It all makes sense now.
I could run a "low boost" tune at sea level (yeah right) to keep the cast pistons happy...
In reality I think I just put forged boost pistons in it...

1690232151600.png

I scored a DynoJet power vision tuner off eBay so I'll give it a go and see if the detune is obvious (like the 570 > 650) dbw throttle not opening all the way.

1000005561.jpg

Another option to add a bit of power is to send the throttle body to MaxBore in Florida so he can open it up and make it flow better. Looking at his website, it sounds like he can open up Can-Am TB's almost 5mm over stock. :smokin:

I sent my Talon TB to MaxBore last winter and had him give it the works. Bigger bores, thinner plates and he machined the shafts to thin them out. Guy does really nice work and gets it done fast.

Thanks for these two suggestions, I got the PV3 installed last night. There is only one tune for it so we'll see what that's about.

I am supposed to be able to custom tune this so I could build a header/exhaust although I definitely don't want it louder, better sound would be fine.

Thanks for these two suggestions, I got the PV3 installed last night. There is only one tune for it so we'll see what that's about.

I am supposed to be able to custom tune this so I could build a header/exhaust although I definitely don't want it louder, better sound would be fine.

You can go to the DynoJet website and download the program that let's you custom tune it. I'd also recommend installing a DynoJet dual wide band O2 sensor kit so that you will be able to record runs and dial in the A/F ratio for each cylinder while tuning.

You can go to the DynoJet website and download the program that let's you custom tune it. I'd also recommend installing a DynoJet dual wide band O2 sensor kit so that you will be able to record runs and dial in the A/F ratio for each cylinder while tuning.
I got the power core software and tried to log the dbw throttle to see if it's just not opening fully but that doesn't appear to be a parameter that is logged.

I put a new belt in it and tried to figure out how the water was getting in on river crossings, I'll try and break in the belt tomorrow.

I got the power core software and tried to log the dbw throttle to see if it's just not opening fully but that doesn't appear to be a parameter that is logged.

I put a new belt in it and tried to figure out how the water was getting in on river crossings, I'll try and break in the belt tomorrow.

A gopro facing the PV3 with it set to TPS readings ect works as poor man data logging

Top Back Refresh