What's new

Lets Argue About 22LR Pistols

Another vote for Ruger MkIV. Stupid easy to take apart and service.

I also highly recommend older H&R revolvers, my model 999 is very accurate.

My 999 had a terrible, I mean, horrible trigger. One day I decided I was going to get the bottom of the issue. Turns out you really can't take that gun apart without pushing out a metric shit-ton (4 to be exact) of pins. It doesn't disassemble like a conventional revolver; all the guts slide out of the trigger slot. But... three drops of oil into the cylinder lock and a couple more into the "rotator" slot and it feels and sounds like a Swiss watch now. My grandmother left it to me and it had sat in a drawer for 40+ years.

Morat: These are great little gun to consider in this debate, too. And if the trigger is stiff, all you need is a little oil. :laughing:

MkII_Swampfox.JPG

I've traded in and out of a dozen of them over the years and l don't have a single one at the moment. I need to fix that, my favorite are the 22/45's

My 999 had a terrible, I mean, horrible trigger. One day I decided I was going to get the bottom of the issue. Turns out you really can't take that gun apart without pushing out a metric shit-ton (4 to be exact) of pins. It doesn't disassemble like a conventional revolver; all the guts slide out of the trigger slot. But... three drops of oil into the cylinder lock and a couple more into the "rotator" slot and it feels and sounds like a Swiss watch now. My grandmother left it to me and it had sat in a drawer for 40+ years.

Morat: These are great little gun to consider in this debate, too. And if the trigger is stiff, all you need is a little oil. :laughing:

I had to replace the plastic thing that guides the mainspring with an aftermarket metal piece and that fixed the light primer strikes I was having. I swear that my 1980’s Model 999 Sportsman is more accurate than my 2022 Ruger MkIV.

The honest answer is you need more than one. Right now I’ve got a couple Buckmarks, a couple single sixes, and a quantity of Smiths in different lengths and frame sizes. The various Ruger Mk whatevers and 22/45’s are all worth trying. Try a bunch and see what you like.

The honest answer is you need more than one. Right now I’ve got a couple Buckmarks, a couple single sixes, and a quantity of Smiths in different lengths and frame sizes. The various Ruger Mk whatevers and 22/45’s are all worth trying. Try a bunch and see what you like.
this man is speaking too much sense
ignore him

and don't buy any of them so I can buy all of them that much cheaper

I dont see a 1911 anywhere on that list

Which one is easiest to maintain? Diss/Ass etc? the 22/45s are polymer correct? Right now I've got my eye on a URX Buck Mark. My FFL has MKs and Buck Marks. Just bought a Python so my have to wait on buying all the 22s.

Which one is easiest to maintain? Diss/Ass etc? the 22/45s are polymer correct? Right now I've got my eye on a URX Buck Mark. My FFL has MKs and Buck Marks. Just bought a Python so my have to wait on buying all the 22s.
The Ruger Mk I, Mk II (don't know 'bout the rest of the series) are NOT that difficult to reassemble after field stripping (disassembly is really easy, one lever). All one has to remember is to tilt the frame in such a way as to prevent the hammer strut from getting hung up when inserting the hammer spring/retainer assembly.

Now, if you're talking about disassembling the entire gun to every individual component, then yes, it is more complicated than a routine BMW maintenance schedule (I avoid this by just blowing out the frame/FCG with compressed air, BTDT).

I have a ruger mk3 target and it is the best shooter i got. Put some volquartsen parts in it and it eats any ammo you throw at it. Mags are easy to load. Cleaning/reassembly is a huge PITA. So I dont clean it that often and it will run a good 1,000 rounds without cleaning, no issues. The assembly problems were addressed with the mk4.

You have a high standard. Either of those mentioned are good but will be a down grade from what you already have.
Colt woodsman
Browning medalist
S&W mod 41
Marvel unit one
I have both the Ruger and Browning and I prefer the Browning by a touch. Better trigger and balance for me.

I have the following
S&W 41 very accurate and easy to shoot
S&W 617 picky about the ammo. Thick rims and the cylinder drags.
Single six nice to carry but really need to work at to be accurate.
Ruger mk2 10 inch bull with a red dot. Scary accurate.
Browning baby 1911, has the original 1911 sights. Need good lighting to see and shoot accurately. Feels great in the hands.
I have a couple more but have not shot them. High standard needs mags and the browning target just needs to hit the range.

If this didn’t have a retarded mag release, I would give it a chance. Feels and aims well.

IMG_5884.jpeg

I bought the ruger SR22 a while back. Its fun to shoot, but kind of a POS. Trigger is not great, sights are ok. Its compact, thin and light. Its good practice for shooting subcompacts like a sig 365.

I vote for ruger Mk4, bull barrel and mount a red dot

I picked up a KelTec P17 from PSA when they were on sale. I think it was $190 delivered. The only thing it does wrong is shoot high and there’s no more adjustment. A little Kentucky windage fixes that.
It runs everything with and without a can. It came with three mags and the thread adapter. The only malfunctions I had were with range pickups. It is my favorite blaster .22 pistol.

Top Back Refresh