What's new

Land rover tcase LT230 thread

It would be neat if they made an integrated black box like the D300/Atlas.

You could always run a high dollar adapter post crawlbox. But the underdrive posted earlier is better and space saver.

Why a lower high range with the diesel? Trail only?
Because I am running stock 3.73 gears and 35's. Money saver yo!
It's funny that you say the parts are weak, all I've ever heard about them 8s how tough they are.
Yeah, when you look at the outputs on other boxes like a 205, they just seem small. For my rig it won't be an issue, but it's light and low powered.

The beauty of the planetary box on a LT230 is it doesn't make them any longer. You could pop one in later without changing drive shafts or mounts. Only downside for me is the gas tank would be in the way.

im aware :homer::flipoff2:

no way really? :homer::flipoff2:

Really really! :flipoff2: I figured you were stoned or something :laughing:

which was exactly what i was getting at, instead of a crawl box with the 2.7 planetary make them with 1.3-1.7 gears.

my ideal setup would be a black box with 1.3 to a normal 2.7 titan to np205

May as well just do a black box i to 3spd hero. The only thing it's missing is 2:1.

Because I am running stock 3.73 gears and 35's. Money saver yo!

Gotcha

Yeah, when you look at the outputs on other boxes like a 205, they just seem small. For my rig it won't be an issue, but it's light and low powered.

Hard to compare to a case that came in 1 ton diesels to a limey grocery getter.

The beauty of the planetary box on a LT230 is it doesn't make them any longer. You could pop one in later without changing drive shafts or mounts. Only downside for me is the gas tank would be in the way.

It's is sweet, especially for sami's other rigs with shorter wheelbase, or the drivetrain pushed back. A divorced unit with the crawl box and the 4.3 gears would a killer Sami case. But you're looking at, $5k+?

I really like that there are other options for high range. Right now my Sami has a 1.65 high, 3.73s and 32s. I want to put 4.88s I have and a non OD auto in it, but if I do that, I'll be turning ~5k rpm on the highway. I'd rather have ~5.38s and a lower high in the tcase, but it's not an option.

No, not within the case, but you still get 6 speeds and it's not a mile long. The 3.0 and 2.7 are probably close enough to not be really noticeable.
a titan205 is right about the same exact length as a hero 3spd, not even remotely close to being a mile long :homer:

DSCN3002.jpg

a titan205 is right about the same exact length as a hero 3spd, not even remotely close to being a mile long :homer:

Once you add a 2nd crawl box to the front it is. What's a standard black box? 7" Black box I for the hero only adds 4".

BTW, you are way off on length. Hero 3spd is about the same size as the 205 alone. So plus ~5 1/2" for the titan, and ~7" for another box vs plus 4" :laughing:

Anyways, enough hijacking :flipoff2:

Last edited:
Once you add a 2nd crawl box to the front it is. What's a standard black box? 7" Black box I for the hero only adds 4".

BTW, you are way off on length. Hero 3spd is about the same size as the 205 alone. So plus ~5 1/2" for the titan, and ~7" for another box vs plus 4" :laughing:

Anyways, enough hijacking :flipoff2:
no im not

titan205 is a 4spd, the crawl box replaces the adapter of a 205
a hero3 spd is the same size as a 205 with an adapter

the titan205 4sp is roughly the same length as a 3spd hero, add a crawl box to either one and theyre still within a few inches, but yea miles long :homer:

:flipoff2:

What about an SCS type case? Not sure if you can run them sideways vs vertical, but i would think so. Also not sure if they have one with high and low, or just single speed.

Looks like a 10" version is ~$3k... so maybe it doesnt fit the bill here.

A lot of guys here were using the LT230 when WERock was running a lot of local events. They all raved about them, but they did seem to break a few.

I think front digs running off the center diff spiders was killing them.

Pretty sure they also had a 2-Low mod to get front wheel drive low in the rear engine buggies.

What about an SCS type case? Not sure if you can run them sideways vs vertical, but i would think so. Also not sure if they have one with high and low, or just single speed.

Looks like a 10" version is ~$3k... so maybe it doesnt fit the bill here.
U4 guys run the layed down.

As far as I know, they're all full time 4wd and are a fixed ratio, unless you add the black box in front, it's still only a 2spd then. But I guess you could do 1.5/4:1

They do have a quick change deal where you can change the ratio by physically swapping gears behind a small cover.

they make a disco for 2wd, a black box or two in front of one would be pretty cool :flipoff2:

U4 guys run the layed down.

As far as I know, they're all full time 4wd and are a fixed ratio, unless you add the black box in front, it's still only a 2spd then. But I guess you could do 1.5/4:1

They do have a quick change deal where you can change the ratio by physically swapping gears behind a small cover.

The quick change version while not ideal, would be nice. Have a deeper gear if you are going to play in the rocks, and swap the gears around for the higher ratio, if you are riding something with more wheel speed. Or it might allow the correct ratio for street driving, and then swap the gear set at the trail head.

By the time you add a black box, you are getting close to the price of an atlas, although, I am not sure that gives you the gearing you want.

Part of me still goes back to use the kick case as a crawl box, but leaving it in low all the time. Would give you a 1.8:1 "high range" and whatever multiplied low from the rear case. Not sure how long it would last being locked in low, but if you could keep the fluid cool, it should last a while.

The quick change version while not ideal, would be nice. Have a deeper gear if you are going to play in the rocks, and swap the gears around for the higher ratio, if you are riding something with more wheel speed. Or it might allow the correct ratio for street driving, and then swap the gear set at the trail head.

I don't think an scs is a very realistic case for a highway and/or trail driven rig. I'd imagine oil pouring out being an issue while swapping gears with the case horizontal.

By the time you add a black box, you are getting close to the price of an atlas, although, I am not sure that gives you the gearing you want.

I believe they're more than an atlas, but can't find prices online in my quick searches.

Part of me still goes back to use the kick case as a crawl box, but leaving it in low all the time. Would give you a 1.8:1 "high range" and whatever multiplied low from the rear case. Not sure how long it would last being locked in low, but if you could keep the fluid cool, it should last a while.

1.8:1 is pretty deep, but I guess you could play with ring and pinions to get where you want. I'm not sure how that tiny box would like running low all the time either. I know guys who have burned up Toyota crawl boxes running high speeds in the snow. No idea on what oil or whatever they're running though.

The other problem with that is you have a doubler, but the one case is your high range, so you basically still need a very deep gear in the rear case to keep the the little engine happy in big rocks. 4:1 may be enough for an auto, but probably not for a manual. Also kinda limits you to a little zuk engine.

So back to the lt230, the post case UD is sweet for space, but most of us aren't running CJ5 wheelbase anymore. A black box kit would be a game changer. Lots of gearing options, and adapting as well.

Who knows someone at nwf?

Behemoth Drivetrain has been rolling out their new products recently, including the Strongboxes (doubler). I asked them on FB if they would make one for the LT230, but the more people reaching out, couldnt hurt.

Behemoth Drivetrain has been rolling out their new products recently, including the Strongboxes (doubler). I asked them on FB if they would make one for the LT230, but the more people reaching out, couldnt hurt.
Only a fucking retard would give a single red cent to Behemoth. dude has been fucking over people for years.

New owner, keep up :flipoff2:

Not sure why you would keep the name, but 🤷
If his basic designs were of any value and worth purchasing I just don't understand why new owners would tie themself to the old name. Change the name and mention on the website that the designs were based on Behemoth but improved, redesigned and updated. Throw a barb or two at Jacob and his ethics and you have a fresh start.

If his basic designs were of any value and worth purchasing I just don't understand why new owners would tie themself to the old name. Change the name and mention on the website that the designs were based on Behemoth but improved, redesigned and updated. Throw a barb or two at Jacob and his ethics and you have a fresh start.
to me it sounds like the new owners are pretty much just as dumb as jacob, there is absolutely zero benefit in keeping the name

Anyone used these guys, or know of a stateside reasonable adapter?

It looks two piece? Or why else is there 10 holes?

Anyone used these guys, or know of a stateside reasonable adapter?

It looks two piece? Or why else is there 10 holes?

I don't get it. Aw4 is common round 6, how does 10 holes work? :confused:

I feel like round 6 isn't symmetrical like a lug pattern, but I can't remember.

Top Back Refresh