What's new

Land rover tcase LT230 thread

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
Been kinda day dreaming about a build, I kinda think a tcase with lower than 1:1 high, but stronger than the current Sami case would be perfect.

Enter the LT230

Brief searching on eBay it looks like they can be had in decent used condition for similar prices to other desirable used cases (~$400) they used them for many years, so they shouldn't be too hard to find.

Used in land rovers from? Forever?

Front and rear outputs offset to the right (our passenger side)

Low range is respectable 3.321:1

This company makes lower low range gears as well. 30% (4.32) and 50% (4.98) (I hate how so many people use a percentage number for stuff like this:homer:)

MAXIDRIVE LT230 Reduction Gears

High range varies from 1.67, 1.4, 1.3, 1.22, 1.1 and 1.0, edit: looks lile 0.90 is also available. for example running 3.73 would get you the equivalent of 6.23, 5.22, 4.85, 4.55, and 4.10s. Funny that it lines up very closely with all the commonly installed r&p ratios. Then there is the advantage to double up with lower r&p and lower high range for us idiots who like big tires and small engines. My rig came stock with 4.88s and 26" tires, to get back to stock with 42s, I need 7.88s :laughing: this is pretty impossible except some obscure options. I also like to go a little deeper to keep the little motors happy. 1.3 x my 6.17s gets 8.02.

https://www.ashcroft-transmissions.c...o-changes.html

Then comes adapters, I'm still learning on this, I'm finding more and more options, but they are pretty expensive. If NWF would make a black box for it, that would be a game changer.

6l80e, 6l90e, nv4500, and ax15.

LT230 Adapter

1" thick jeep 23 spline adapter

http://www.axisindustriesusa.com/lan...eep-23-spline/

4l80e adapter

https://www.advanceadapters.com/prod...transfer-case/

I believe that one of those adapters should be able to be bolted to a black box, just hard to justify the cost of both for a lot of us.

There is a lot more info out there that I haven't gotten to. Like the awd versions. Or which rigs came with which high range ratio. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will find this.

Edit: just read the 9" pinion has the same spline as the lt230 outputs, so with a bit of work a 9" pinion yoke of flange will work :smokin:

Last edited:
Another thing I forgot to add is the planetary(2.7:1) crawl box/undrive that was available. Pretty cool design bolting to the back of the case, eliminating the need to change drive shafts or crossmembers. Apparently the guy has stopped making them, then started, and stopped again. No idea if he plans to start again, but I figured it should be mentioned.

https://eastcoastrover.com/Underdrive.html

Looking forward to info on this. I check NWF site once in a while to see of they started producing a black box for it. Hopefully someone chimes in with experience on flipping these to a left hand drop.

I was looking into these since they have great reputation and have some interesting low range options. I was actually looking for the rear output to be offset also. In the end though, the cost of adapters was way too high and I couldn't find much info on the output shaft spline count and diameter. The splines didn't look very beefy, maybe stock d300 sized?

Kevin

I was looking into these since they have great reputation and have some interesting low range options. I was actually looking for the rear output to be offset also. In the end though, the cost of adapters was way too high and I couldn't find much info on the output shaft spline count and diameter. The splines didn't look very beefy, maybe stock d300 sized?

Kevin

The biggest advantage for me is the variety of high range reduction. I think there are a lot of people out there who think 5.38s are enough because that's what everyone does. When in really, 5.38s is only good for 36-37s on a Toyota or jk. Being able to correct or slightly under gear certain rigs would make them much more pleasant to drive.

As far as strength, @buckon37s (iirc, not sure if he's made it over or not) was a huge fan of them, and raced koh with one.

The cost of the adapters is a huge turn off, $1400 gets you very close to a used atlas.

I'm running a LT230/Underdrive behind a 4l80E/LQ4., Toy Landcruiser stuff (8.8 front/9.5 rear) in Ruff-stuff housings running stock 4.11 on 37's...Underdrive is no longer available. Adpater was pricy, but well built from Marks 4WD in AUS. Advance Adapters is the US dealer..heres a look

quick edit...RW-ENG.com has a lt230 to 6l80e adaptor that shorter...

photo17604.jpg

Last edited:
You can easily make an LT230 a remote input by either buying a shaft from Rakeway engineering http://www.rakeway.co.uk/page12.html

or make your own from a cheap puma spud shaft TUD500020.
The output splines aren’t very big as someone said but the fact that they’re apparently the same 28 spline as some old ford half shafts may be of interest to some.

Probably the easiest way to make one left hand drop is to drive it through the pto hole which wouldn’t be difficult for many. I’m running mine backwards in my application.

The mounting face to the rear output flange is about 11” but you can shorten this to about 8” with a rakeway short rear output from the link above.

There’s also a mounting plate and billet gear to fit the rear of ZF S5 42 or spicer T5x gearboxes available from Reece Myers in the UK who builds them for Cummins conversions.

photo17810.jpg

I would go remote mount. I have one mated to an AX15. It's fucking tight.Had to cut and plate the tail housing to get it to clear at the rotation I needed. Otherwise it will clock 1 way. Front driveshaft will be CLOSE to the case. I may switch mine to remote mount due to it making a lot of things better.

Is Rakeway even open? I tried to buy one of their short output housing and they never answered the phone, even with a friend in the UK trying to reach them.

Is the case to have the late disco 1 with locked center diff? Or is there a way around that on the aftermarket.

I really have no idea on what came in what year. I also never looked into the Awd ones myself. I believe most were not Awd.

Nice, a 1.3 & 5.0 case would be awesome, regardless the cost. I just like the AWD and locked center diff for go fast desert.

Also found these guys for adapters:

What's the idea behind Awd vs 4wd for go fast? It allows slip in corners for less pushing?

I was always a fan of the LT230, buck on 37s had some good luck with them racing U4

I would like to know how buck got the outputs to live. They are tiny. Same size as a 930 CV axle. They are longer than most T-cases so they have some twist, but still.

I would go remote mount. I have one mated to an AX15. It's fucking tight.Had to cut and plate the tail housing to get it to clear at the rotation I needed. Otherwise it will clock 1 way. Front driveshaft will be CLOSE to the case. I may switch mine to remote mount due to it making a lot of things better.

I would like to know how buck got the outputs to live. They are tiny. Same size as a 930 CV axle. They are longer than most T-cases so they have some twist, but still.

Just how close to the aw4 is the drive shaft? Break the outputs yet?

Just how close to the aw4 is the drive shaft? Break the outputs yet?
AW4? You mean AX15? About this close.

20210803_190923.jpg

It only fits on 1 way. It's clocked down about 2" more than being flat with the bottom of the trans, but not a deal breaker on a Samurai. With it flat bottom, the front drive shaft would have been going through the passenger footwell. I had to do a bit of shitmetal work as it is.

Have not broken anything sitting on the Jack stands in the shop.

Here's one option

300M LT230 Short Rear Output Kit | Online Gearbox Parts Shop

I kinda like that the front to rear outputs are far apart, makes for a longer belly without a 2 piece front. If rear drives haft length is an issue, than there are short output options.

AW4? You mean AX15? About this close.

20210803_190923.jpg

It only fits on 1 way. It's clocked down about 2" more than being flat with the bottom of the trans, but not a deal breaker on a Samurai. With it flat bottom, the front drive shaft would have been going through the passenger footwell. I had to do a bit of shitmetal work as it is.

Have not broken anything sitting on the Jack stands in the shop.

What engine you got in front of the ax15? :smokin:

If memory serves me correct he used a Ashcroft ATB center diff and had rigged a oil system using a pto pump

If memory serves me correct he used a Ashcroft ATB center diff and had rigged a oil system using a pto pump
Yes he did. That was to keep the worm heard in the diff alive. Had nothing to do with the outputs.

What engine you got in front of the ax15? :smokin:
ALH TDI.

Here's one option

300M LT230 Short Rear Output Kit | Online Gearbox Parts Shop

I kinda like that the front to rear outputs are far apart, makes for a longer belly without a 2 piece front. If rear drives haft length is an issue, than there are short output options.

Those have been sold out for well over a year. I looked at them a long time ago. Still the same spline, shaft is stronger but the gear it goes into is not.

Why a lower high range with the diesel? Trail only?

Those have been sold out for well over a year. I looked at them a long time ago. Still the same spline, shaft is stronger but the gear it goes into is not.

Not surprising. River stuff is wierd, kinda reminds me of zuk aftermarket about 15 years ago. Enough of a following for cool products to be developed, but not enough for them to be consistent.

It's funny that you say the parts are weak, all I've ever heard about them 8s how tough they are.

I also didn't realize you could switch them to driver drop so easily.

Has anyone ever asked NWF if they have any desire to make a black box for this case? That would open up a lot of possibilities for a variety of rigs.

. If NWF would make a black box for it, that would be a game changer.
what NWF needs to do is create a black box with the land rover ratios, then you could turn what ever t-case you want into a lt230. ive been thinking about this for the past few months, im curious if its physically possible.

what NWF needs to do is create a black box with the land rover ratios, then you could turn what ever t-case you want into a lt230. ive been thinking about this for the past few months, im curious if its physically possible.
The magic happens with both offset out puts.

Normal cases and crawl boxes are 1:1 high because you just run everything straight through with no gears. So you'd have to make a 3 spd case to get what we're after.

All the planitary crawl boxes are 2.7 because they're based on a NP planitarys.

I remember there was a thread years ago on the marlin forum about making some ~1.5:1 gears. I didn't get it then, but now I can see how that would be awesome. Especially since 2.28x4.7 is mostly unnecessary.

Normal cases and crawl boxes are 1:1 high because you just run everything straight through with no gears. So you'd have to make a 3 spd case to get what we're after.
im aware :homer::flipoff2:

All the planitary crawl boxes are 2.7 because they're based on a NP planitarys.
no way really? :homer::flipoff2:

I remember there was a thread years ago on the marlin forum about making some ~1.5:1 gears. I didn't get it then, but now I can see how that would be awesome. Especially since 2.28x4.7 is mostly unnecessary.
which was exactly what i was getting at, instead of a crawl box with the 2.7 planetary make them with 1.3-1.7 gears.

my ideal setup would be a black box with 1.3 to a normal 2.7 titan to np205

Top Back Refresh