What's new

Land Rover Defender

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I really like the look. It's just like the Lamborghini Countach, some people love the look, and to others it's :barf::barf::barf::barf:

True enough. Was blue, which did look better than the yellow from top gear. As for the countach, I think for the coked up times it came from, it's a pretty accurate representation.

hopefully the o.p's wife is happy with her new jeep

does the car deliver? in comparison to say a cayenne? seems real heavy to me. is the engine a ticking bomb?

From what I've read the 4.4L V8 has some real problems because it's a "hot V" which cause intake and head gasket troubles.

From what I've read the 4.4L V8 has some real problems because it's a "hot V" which cause intake and head gasket troubles.

on top of the timing chain and vanos issues their v8s always had, sounds like a gem of an engine.

why cant bmw build a solid v8.... mbz been doing it for decades.

does the car deliver? in comparison to say a cayenne? seems real heavy to me. is the engine a ticking bomb?

I love it. No issues yet but it only has 35K miles on it. I'll sell it before warranty runs out. It was 6 months used with 7500 miles when I bought it and it was considerably cheaper than brand new. I paid around 80% of what it cost new.

I have never been in a Porsche so I can't compare. Specs between the two are close but the Cayenne is a fair bit more money.

It's fast and when you select the sport suspension it corners really well. 0-60 is around 3.7 seconds. Front-rear weight ratio is 49% - 51%. Rear tires are 325mm wide on 21" wheels and fronts are 285mm. It's a very comfortable daily driver in comfort mode but also a total riot when you feel like getting aggressive. Interior has soft leather everywhere including dash and door panels, and a bunch of (real) carbon fiber. Also, mine has the 'casting couch' red interior...lol

3+ months in and I would say that the defender is one of the best all around vehicles we have ever owned.

comfort, drivability, safety, winter traction, highway, in town, back roads, logging roads/fields

I called to see about getting myself one today. The wife keeps taking it for herself. They make them with a 518hp V8 now. Sales rep is waiting for a '22 models to hit in a few months so I can order one.

10 months in.

It remains one of the most comfortable and nicest driving SUV's we have had. swerved around a 2x4 on the highway yesterday and it was stable for how hard I swerved, I would have been in trouble in a jeep.

My gripes, the seats appear to stain easy but after a dealer detail the looked like new, gotta find out what they did.

The first major issue, smelled gas at a friends house. Saw no leak. parked in my driveway overnight so a leak would show up, nothing so I blew it off as my buddy spilled gas before we parked. going down the road the car smelled like gas, then noticed you could watch the gas gauge dropping. The return fuel rail plastic clip broke off and gas was spraying all over that side of the block. (clip that holds the return line into the rail) but it was running fine. Should have been in a ball of flames but its not hollywood I guess. Landrover took it for 3 weeks and gave us a Jag. Emergency fix with landrover going to the dealer and taking the fuel rail to study it. They claim it was the first so the engineers wanted the part but for all I know its happened to hundreds of them. I should look it up actually.

Ball of fire averted, is a plastic clip holding the fuel line to the return rail normal?

A plastic clip is pretty normal. usually it is engineered well enough that it isnt pulled on enough to pull off or break.

Buy a loaded Ford Explorer and be done. Much better vehicle unless you are just after the status symbol of owning a LR.

New Land Rovers are giant piles of worthless shit.
Agree with this, get an explorer ST. Tons of power and nice. Guy at work bought a defender, been in shop more than out.

It’s falling apart and failing all over.

Wish you all warned me about the quality
Is this sarcasm or truth?
200.gif

It's the audi of SUV's :laughing:
Technically it is the Jaguar of SUV's :lmao::lmao:, and since the Indians have owned it, supposedly quality has improved, supposedly. :lmao:

Would never own an Audi out of lease or warranty. Same with BMW.
Love my Merc and wife loves her Porsche.

Have owned a Land Rover out of warranty, currently waiting it's (2nd) transmission replacement. Rust is doing a great job on that fine English steel, or pot metal.

Sorry to hear of the issues Poke.

Wife was SUV shopping about 5 years ago and turned down the LR Discovery (we already have a 98 Disco) because the turn signals were too loud :lmao:. She ended up with a lightly used Cayenne instead. 5 years, almost 100K miles, and apart fromfluids, filters, brake pads and tires the only thing it has needed was an actuator for the transfer case. The only thing she wants to replace the Cayenne is a Macan.

It's not supposed to burn coolant, but to be a Land Rover it's supposed to burn coolant. I think that's what the dealer meant.

Hopefully it's just a lease.

Sorry to hear.

No it should not burn coolant. Your dealer is an idiot and is just trying to get it out of warranty.

Yes the plastic flies off.

Yes the electronics are finnicky more than almost land rovers. Think Lucas electrical.

Take it in and list every single thing wrong with it and keep doing it over and over then look at your states lemon laws, or hope that the residual is high still and you can sell it and not lose any.

What motor did you get?

The dealer has insisted on multiple occasions that ‘all those Porsche engines’ burn coolant and told us to top it off monthly.

It is not a warranty issue, just working as designed

Top Back Refresh