What's new

Land Rover Defender

Poke

I’m condescending
Member Number
Any info or experience with this? What suv did they base it off or is it it’s own machine.

wife looking at one for a DD. We now hate the VW Atlas we used to like.

If you're looking to spend that kind of cash, my wife got a 2021 Merc GLE450 yesterday and it's really nice.

Personally I'm not drawn to the new Defender in any way.

Any info or experience with this? What suv did they base it off or is it it’s own machine.

what happened to the Atlas? people were tripping all over themselves when they hit the market to get those things

what happened to the Atlas? people were tripping all over themselves when they hit the market to get those things

Where to start...

a cracked windshield (ins covered glass) cost $1100 to Re-calibrate the self driving

everyone gets car sick in it. Paid thousands to dealer to diagnose. No issues. Kids refuse to get in it. We DD my 2500 or the kids won’t go anywhere. I get car sick driving it.

Arm wrests suck. Uncomfortable to drive.

very thin sides. Like a single finger you can push the sheet metal in inches.

a second front fog light is out. Requires a 2 day vehicle loss at dealer. Dealer is an hour away.

flat tire alarms always on, even after dealer reset. Add another trip to dealer or ignore.

rear door open, kick under it sensor barely works

the rim spokes are concave. Dirt/mud accumulation causes shaking from the weight being off. Only fix is taking the fawking tires off and power washing regularly, like monthly.

we planned to have it 10 years. We can’t wait to be rid of it.

Its based on a Discovery. Get a 95 or older with the 3.9 if you want any kind of “reliability.” Lol I used reliability while talking about a Land Rover.

No seriously Land Rovers 95 and older are not that bad. The newer ones with the 4.0s not so much.

PTSchram Get to know this guy and have his number in your phone for when, not if you end up on the side of the road.

My Discovery never really left me stranded ever. It always drug what was left of itself off the trail or back home.

Its based on a Discovery. Get a 95 or older with the 3.9 if you want any kind of “reliability.” Lol I used reliability while talking about a Land Rover.

No seriously Land Rovers 95 and older are not that bad. The newer ones with the 4.0s not so much.

PTSchram Get to know this guy and have his number in your phone for when, not if you end up on the side of the road.

My Discovery never really left me stranded ever. It always drug what was left of itself off the trail or back home.

I believe he’s talking about the “new Defender”.

My dad bought one a couple months ago with the P400 drivetrain, hasn’t had any issues with it yet. He had a ‘15 LR4 previously, only issue was a leaking AC condenser from the factory.

Personally, if you don’t need a “new” car, I’d be looking at clean LR4’s, they should be in the $30-$35k range. Very proven and reliable vehicles.

Honestly, I prefer my ‘08 LR3 to either of the newer options, it is more practical and utilitarian. Everything just seems like it was designed perfectly. Wife drives an ‘08 Range Rover that has also been largely trouble free.

IMO, Land Rovers have been solid since ‘06 except for some timing chain guide issues on the Ford based engines and software type stuff. Not sure I want to be their guinea pig on the new Defender, and I’m not happy with how much tech they crammed into it, but it does solve the question of “what will I drive when my LR3 eventually dies.”

Where to start...

a cracked windshield (ins covered glass) cost $1100 to Re-calibrate the self driving

everyone gets car sick in it. Paid thousands to dealer to diagnose. No issues. Kids refuse to get in it. We DD my 2500 or the kids won’t go anywhere. I get car sick driving it.

a second front fog light is out. Requires a 2 day vehicle loss at dealer. Dealer is an hour away.

flat tire alarms always on, even after dealer reset. Add another trip to dealer or ignore.

the rim spokes are concave. Dirt/mud accumulation causes shaking from the weight being off. Only fix is taking the fawking tires off and power washing regularly, like monthly.

wow.

i had a rental 2020 trailblazer that always had issues with the tire sensors and constant chimes, i fucking despise the "warm up glo" of the interior lights and the window doesn't always roll up from the slight roll down when you open/close the doors, it has the most disconnected driving experience i've ever had between the bazillion speed transmission and drive by wire and abusive traction control, mash gas, count to 3, maybe it will start moving 🤣 it makes passing on the highway an adventure.

I can't not recommend one strongly enough, sounds like it is in the same class.

is there any way to get your wife into something that doesn't have all the nanny nonsense that she would actually like? Seems like a 25 year old G Wagon that was upfitted with the backup camera/phone integration stuff would be a better use of about the same funds.

Speaking of G Wagons. I saw one in Wichita a few months back that had V12 Kopressor on the back. Holy shit! Did MB actually build this or was it just someone trying to be funny. It looked bad ass. I thought AMG Gs had v8 kompessors

Where to start...

I'm just gonna be honest, man. You're wanting to move from one steaming hot, expensive pile of shit to another steaming hot, even more expensive pile of shit.

​​​​​

You bought a meme car and now you want to buy another meme car. You deserve what you get.

Hundreds of thousand of people drive luxo Grand Cherokees with no problem. I'm not even a Jeep guy, even I admit they're good. 4Runner. Sequoia. A GMC of some type.

Plenty of luxo SUVs out there and you are going for that extra fringe. I hope the Discovery makes your kids puke in the house because I hate luxo SUV drivers and the stupid conspicuous consumption of it.

The entire point of Land Rover is that back in the 1960s before the black Africans kicked white farmers of their land and put themselves into never-ending famines, white landowners had a giant farm in the Veldt and a white mechanic brought in from England to keep their Land Rovers in peak shape. An old Land Rover, an heroic set of whitworth tools, and a full-time mechanic is a wonderful combination.

For the last 50 years, Land Rover has been trading on that reputation while the auto world has moved on. Rich people can afford them, but then the luxury moves down-market, to you, a guy wealthy enough to buy one but not wealthy enough to OWN one.

And after already being screwed in the ass by yet another useless Euro-box, you want to buy another German Euro-box to solve your problems even after you got kicked in the teeth.

So buy that Discovery and let us know how it goes Brent.

Edit; oh wait you said 'Defender', but it's not a Defender is it? Land Rover ground up built a tough as nails SUV that will perform like the old mud pigs in Africa? No, no they didn't. They rebadged something, probably a Golf. The Defender is probably a Golf GTI with suspension modifications. Or maybe it's a Jetta.

Last edited:
Speaking of G Wagons. I saw one in Wichita a few months back that had V12 Kopressor on the back. Holy shit! Did MB actually build this or was it just someone trying to be funny. It looked bad ass. I thought AMG Gs had v8 kompessors

i would believe it, can't you get every little thing customized with a new AMG G?

You bought a meme car and now you want to buy another meme car. You deserve what you get.

Hundreds of thousand of people drive luxo Grand Cherokees with no problem. I'm not even a Jeep guy, even I admit they're good. 4Runner. Sequoia. A GMC of some type.

Plenty of luxo SUVs out there and you are going for that extra fringe. I hope the Discovery makes your kids puke in the house because I hate luxo SUV drivers and the stupid conspicuous consumption of it.

The entire point of Land Rover is that back in the 1960s before the black Africans kicked white farmers of their land and put themselves into never-ending famines, white landowners had a giant farm in the Veldt and a white mechanic brought in from England to keep their Land Rovers in peak shape. An old Land Rover, an heroic set of whitworth tools, and a full-time mechanic is a wonderful combination.

For the last 50 years, Land Rover has been trading on that reputation while the auto world has moved on. Rich people can afford them, but then the luxury moves down-market, to you, a guy wealthy enough to buy one but not wealthy enough to OWN one.

And after already being screwed in the ass by yet another useless Euro-box, you want to buy another German Euro-box to solve your problems even after you got kicked in the teeth.

So buy that Discovery and let us know how it goes Brent.

Edit; oh wait you said 'Defender', but it's not a Defender is it? Land Rover ground up built a tough as nails SUV that will perform like the old mud pigs in Africa? No, no they didn't. They rebadged something, probably a Golf. The Defender is probably a Golf GTI with suspension modifications. Or maybe it's a Jetta.

Whatever, shut in.

Nissan Armada. Mazda CX-9 if you don't want a "truck".

Defender is an engineer's wanking chariot. No way I'd expect 10 trouble free years out of that thing.

Last edited:

Must be Tuesday.

Just look at the used market for Land Rovers. There's a reason why the value falls off a cliff quickly.

4nbnaz.jpg

I've been driving a BMW X5M for three years and it's been solid as a rock. Zero issues. 567 HP and 553 torque. It's a comfortable daily driver, but also fun as hell when you want to drive aggressively.

Pretty much one of the bigger piles of shit out there.

Huh. :laughing: I was unaware a Land Rover would be a pos. But you can find a dozen guys here that will trash anything sooo

looking at an Aviator(explorer I know :rolleyes:) also and discussed the x5. So tell me how much of a pile that is as well.

wife does wish she had the 4Runner still. It was gutless.

Top Back Refresh