What's new

KoH 2021 Chit Chat

I have no issues with you backing in to get the first lap finished :laughing: I was just more annoyed at the feeds they kept putting up on screen for us free feed folks (maybe premium was better, but it didn't sound like it was by much). They kept talking about stuff that was going on and sometimes show the leaders/something interesting, but then quickly cut away and show footage of people who were sitting in traffic or completely out of contention. It almost felt like they were trying to screw people on the free feed to force you to pay for the premium one :laughing:

Abso-fucking-lutely. It got really annoying. But I didn't have time to sit down and watch hours and hours of the race so dropping the money on premium didn't make sense for me.

Abso-fucking-lutely. It got really annoying. But I didn't have time to sit down and watch hours and hours of the race so dropping the money on premium didn't make sense for me.

Plus the $10 KOH package was "sold out" :rolleyes: so the only way to get premium day of (allegedys) was to buy the $35 season package. (Thats what it costs to take your girl to the movies, no questions asked, yuckyuckyuck)

I was there in Cougar when all that happened. the blue/gray ranger broke, the 4500 sequoia bashed him out of the way (they were buddies) and Daniel i think got impatient and took a poor line and did a slow flop. we were able to go straight up over to the left of where all that happened and get around. I'm sorry we took up so much screen time in the EMC, definitely wasn't our intention. We lost pretty much everything in the forward gears a few miles after Cougar Buttes. If it was level or downhill ground we could use a combination of coasting in Neutral or feathering throttle to roll forward in first gear in 4lo. reverse was great so we reversed up just about every single hill or loose slight uphill terrain for about 30ish miles. We tried to flush the trans in Pit 1B to see if that'd do anything at all but nope. Ultra4 marshals stopped us around 7 miles from the start finish and said we "couldn't go backwards on course". After clarifying that we were in fact reversing in the forward direction of the race course they let us continue on. The desert loop has been my nemesis the past 2 years so i was willing to burn the truck down to finally get off the first lap, but really wasn't doing it for anybody but myself. Honestly, i would have been kind of annoyed if we'd made it into the rocks (which we had done a ton of homework on and felt great about) and didn't get any video coverage because some assclown was going in reverse all the way to hammertown. So for everybody that didn't like it, sorry, and we'll definitely try harder to pick better transmission builders for the rest of the UItra4 East season and KOH22 (the rest of the truck is 100% solid and ready to race). *PS* if anyone is a legitimate Jeep AW4 builder and wants to sponsor DKA Motorsports, send me a PM!

I rather enjoyed watching your efforts. Like above, it showed improvising. Although you didn't get to continue, kudos for your efforts. You learn as you go.

As far as the premium feed, it was MEH but I was willing to spend the money hoping it moves the technology forward. A couple things I would like to have seen; 1) an easier link to the multi picture screen which showed 20?? different cameras all at once. I couldn't find it on the page but someone posted the link here on IBB. (thank you) 2) it would be nice to be able to click which camera you want to watch. Towards the end all I cared about was Jack and KG and had no interest in what was happening in Spooners.

I did the premium package just to support Ultra4, and to be honest at this point it really doesn't make any sense. i get where they're hoping to eventually go with it, but right now it's barely functional. I think with more support and effort the premium channel could turn into something super rad.

I did premium as well and was left with meh, it got slightly better through out the week but not enough to say it was worth it. Still had commercials, sometime it was full screen, sometimes it was the larger of the 2 screens, later it went to the smaller second screen, no chat, finding the links for the views was a complete fail, even trying to find the live stream was a chore, for some reason it was super hard to find the scroll bar to back up the feed, like it was a black progress bar on a black background, same with volume, the views they showed weren't always what one wanted to see (like talking on the podium but not video just showing a empty start finish line).

Anyways lots of issues to work out. The commenting on 2 different feeds is odd, not sure I'd want to watch either feeds if the commentators were talking about something I couldn't see.

The biggest annoyance is the lack of ability to provide feedback.

I'm also in the camp that wished there was more rock action bouncing between the top 10. If I were the technical director running the show, I would consider it a failure that Slawson surprised everyone with the win at the end. I don't think they ever really showed him. This year had amazing infrastructure that could have had even better coverage with all the remote cameras and drones, but I think maybe the guys in the control booth were overwhelmed trying to run the regular live feed as well as the premium feed at the same time. At one point in my life I tried my hand at being a Technical Director on a 3 camera show. The first time we went live all my plans and intentions went right out the window and I was about 20 seconds behind everything while doing my best not to freak out. If you're not a seasoned TD, this stuff is HARD.

One thing to think about though were all the reviews from the desert/baja race spectators watching the live feed. They said it was the best coverage they have ever seen of their sport and were blown away. I took this picture a few years back on spooners. It's pretty amazing to be way out there and see some camera guys with a wireless link perched in what looks like the middle of nowhere. Props to the camera crews and all of hammer king productions for getting the infrastructure in place. Now all they need to do is work on their directing in the booth. Oh, and just wait until Starlink has more availability. Then they won't even be bound by finding a way to shoot wifi back to hammer town.
XHv7xkih.jpg

Last edited:
yeah it's good feed and yeah that's still a sore dick deal at $35 bucks. It costs me 40 time that to see it in person.

i forgot to mention, the drone operators were fawking amazing. seriously. they were zooming all over the place, even under Cade Rodd's stationary 4800 at one point in Cougar Buttes. Those guys deserve every penny they got paid. All in all, I am so excited about where Ultra4 is going in the future. Once they figure out how to integrate all of the additional footage that they're now getting, I think it's going to be pretty rad. It's never going to be perfect, but NOBODY else is even remotely close to accomplishing what Hammerking is doing in the middle of the desert.

yeah it's good feed and yeah that's still a sore dick deal at $35 bucks. It costs me 40 time that to see it in person.

Aint that the truth. Every year I'm out there I don't know who won until I talk to someone the next day who was in hammer town to see the winner. If they get a little better at showing the top guys battle it out, I'd pay the $35. Shoot, I would have done it this time if I had jumped on it soon enough to get a t-shirt with the deal. I think I pay that much for just the shirt every year that I'm there.

Sorry if I missed it, I only read back a few pages. I just finished watching the race, saw Wayland Campbell go across the podium (I think he was 20th or so) but when I look at the results I don't see him listed? What did he get DQ'd for? I don't think I saw anyone else come across the podium that wasn't in the final results.

Prayers to the Wayes team involved in the high speed crash, any other updates on this?

Sorry if I missed it, I only read back a few pages. I just finished watching the race, saw Wayland Campbell go across the podium (I think he was 20th or so) but when I look at the results I don't see him listed? What did he get DQ'd for? I don't think I saw anyone else come across the podium that wasn't in the final results.

Prayers to the Wayes team involved in the high speed crash, any other updates on this?

Do the results say DQ or DNF for him?

Wyatt Pemberton has been following the status of this pretty closely on the talent tank insiders FB page FYI - last update was that James Schofield was okay but in some serious pain from all of his various injuries and going through some pretty extensive surgeries. Tom Wayes possibly had a concussion but that was it. We actually had our 4877 from the Jammers crew roll in almost exactly the same spot, that was a nasty little section but luckily our guys were okay and just caused some race ending damage to the car.

Do the results say DQ or DNF for him?

Was looking at the list of finishers:

https://www.ultra4racing.com/2021-op...nisher-results

edit- I see on that page it says "updated on 2-9-2021 after tracker review"

Wyatt Pemberton has been following the status of this pretty closely on the talent tank insiders FB page FYI - last update was that James Schofield was okay but in some serious pain from all of his various injuries and going through some pretty extensive surgeries. Tom Wayes possibly had a concussion but that was it. We actually had our 4877 from the Jammers crew roll in almost exactly the same spot, that was a nasty little section but luckily our guys were okay and just caused some race ending damage to the car.

Thanks!

Update from gofundme...

TODAYby April Schofield, BeneficiaryTuesday 3:30 pm eastern time.
I’m sorry to have kept everyone waiting, but today a lot of decisions have had to be made, and that included us getting a few second opinions.

After speaking with the doctors today we know a few things. His knee is doing great and doing what they want it to. It’s going to be completely non weight baring for a while. His shoulder/clavicle surgery did go well yesterday. He’s in a brace for that now and had a plate and some screws put in.
They’ve done a lot of X-rays on his back at this point. Several times a day in fact. The dr now feels confident to give her opinion on what we should do. So here we go....

Today we were given two options.
1- Go ahead and open him up and fix the areas that need to be fixed. No guessing. End of story.
2- Put him in a couple of back braces that completely keep his torso from moving at all and then wait a week or so to try and give his body a break from surgery but also to see if his body is going to do it’s own thing and try to heal up with those braces holding everything in place for it.

After weighing the pros and cons, and talking to a few others, we have opted for option 2. There are risks that go with having 3 surgeries 3 days in a row. And if we can give his body a chance to heal itself let’s try that. We’ve been assured that being in these braces will keep him from injurying the area more as long as he keeps them on. So if we can’t hurt it, let’s try to not rush to the extremes of surgery.

That brings us to the next decision.
Because of covid there are a lot of rules and procedures in the hospital. That’s understandable. However, that let the dr tell us they if we followed some specific guidelines she feels ok in not holding him there for the week or two, but instead letting him leave the hospital in the morning.
- Wound care is going to be super important.
- James has to adhere to special rules about moving around and even how many times a day for so many minutes (it’s very few) they want him using his walker. (To me this will be the hardest part because he’s hardheaded)
- The dr isn’t willing to release us to travel yet. She wants to release him to come directly to the hotel and stay here through the week. They will be checking in with us and then will give us the ok about traveling home. We feel good about him coming home via a regular flight, but we have to wait to make any of those decisions.

So after discussing it we decided that part was a no brainer. He does not want to stay in that hospital. And we feel confident we will be able to abide by the rules.

We had to have a second dr sign off on the plan. His stipulation was that James had to have the braces fitted on, then X-rays done and then he had to go to 2 rounds of physical therapy that consist of them teaching him to get from the wheel chair to the walker and how to stand in the walker.
The dr reviewed the X-rays and has confirmed that the plan is ok.

So now James will come back to the hotel sometime early tomorrow (I’ve already moved into a handicap room) and we will stay here through the week. After getting home we will follow up with the physicians there and they will decide if his back is healing up correctly or if we have to have surgery.

On another note,
The amount of prayers we have gotten over the last 3 days we could feel it. We are really blessed that things have been good news. Recovery is going to be long. But we feel good about the outcome and are hoping for his body to pull through and not require surgery on his spine! Thank you. And also, the blessings that you all have poured on us with the go fund me , PayPal and Venmo have been huge. I wish I had the words to say because I don’t think thank you really does it justice. The off-road community is a close group and they have been nothing short of amazing. We are so very lucky to have you all.
On the other side of that coin our other friends and family have helped in the same way and we couldn’t be more grateful and humbled.

We truly love you all. I read every message. I tell him everything that’s going on and he’s feeling so many emotions right now.
ALL OF YOU with your prayers, texts, calls, messages, donations and help are really lifting us up through such an unsure time. Quite frankly, even with my upbeat posts, it’s been a scary time. Again, thank you doesn’t do it justice...but I dont have any other words to express our gratitude right now.

I was there in Cougar when all that happened. the blue/gray ranger broke, the 4500 sequoia bashed him out of the way (they were buddies) and Daniel i think got impatient and took a poor line and did a slow flop. we were able to go straight up over to the left of where all that happened and get around. I'm sorry we took up so much screen time in the EMC, definitely wasn't our intention. We lost pretty much everything in the forward gears a few miles after Cougar Buttes. If it was level or downhill ground we could use a combination of coasting in Neutral or feathering throttle to roll forward in first gear in 4lo. reverse was great so we reversed up just about every single hill or loose slight uphill terrain for about 30ish miles. We tried to flush the trans in Pit 1B to see if that'd do anything at all but nope. Ultra4 marshals stopped us around 7 miles from the start finish and said we "couldn't go backwards on course". After clarifying that we were in fact reversing in the forward direction of the race course they let us continue on. The desert loop has been my nemesis the past 2 years so i was willing to burn the truck down to finally get off the first lap, but really wasn't doing it for anybody but myself. Honestly, i would have been kind of annoyed if we'd made it into the rocks (which we had done a ton of homework on and felt great about) and didn't get any video coverage because some assclown was going in reverse all the way to hammertown. So for everybody that didn't like it, sorry, and we'll definitely try harder to pick better transmission builders for the rest of the UItra4 East season and KOH22 (the rest of the truck is 100% solid and ready to race). *PS* if anyone is a legitimate Jeep AW4 builder and wants to sponsor DKA Motorsports, send me a PM!

:laughing: didn't know that was you! Awesome, don't ever complain about getting screen time :smokin: badass comanche and kudos for the reverse moves! It was confusing to watch :laughing:

A burnt up AW4!? Really? I have never had an issue out of one.

Also did my lakebed section job hold up on your tire?? :D

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what are most of the 4400 cars running gear ratio wise? 6.xx?

The trick to all this seems to be just to Jeremy Clarkson everything, playing with 20 different gear selections slows you down. I'm guessing why the golf carts do so well, just skinny pedal till something breaks.

Out of curiosity, what are most of the 4400 cars running gear ratio wise? 6.xx?

The trick to all this seems to be just to Jeremy Clarkson everything, playing with 20 different gear selections slows you down. I'm guessing why the golf carts do so well, just skinny pedal till something breaks.

Golf carts still have a high and low gear in the transfer case so there are some gear selection choices.

A burnt up AW4!? Really? I have never had an issue out of one.

Also did my lakebed section job hold up on your tire?? :D

Yeah we’ve never lost an AW4 before either. The trans builder is trying to blame us of course but we raced an entire season last year on the exact same trans cooler, lines etc and never had an issue. We never lost a tire so we didn’t have to use the patched tire. Those Maxxis Razr MTs are killer and we’ll just keep using them until we don’t have any more and then I guess I’ll start looking for a tire company that’s interested in a truck that consistently gets air time lol

Was looking at the list of finishers:

https://www.ultra4racing.com/2021-op...nisher-results

edit- I see on that page it says "updated on 2-9-2021 after tracker review"

!

I was curious about the updated list of finishers as well. It now shows Jason Blanton as DNF instead of 9th and doesn't show Wayland at all despite crossing the line. I know I was watching Wayland's tracker on his way back to Hammertown and it was not on course, but was adjacent (way to the right) to the course for the entire desert loop/return to Hammertown.

Does anyone have insider info for Wayland or Blanton's finishing adjustments?

I was curious about the updated list of finishers as well. It now shows Jason Blanton as DNF instead of 9th and doesn't show Wayland at all despite crossing the line. I know I was watching Wayland's tracker on his way back to Hammertown and it was not on course, but was adjacent (way to the right) to the course for the entire desert loop/return to Hammertown.

Does anyone have insider info for Wayland or Blanton's finishing adjustments?

Not seen anything official but supposedly Blanton missed Hell to Pay on the last lap.....

Golf carts still have a high and low gear in the transfer case so there are some gear selection choices.

Right, so skinny pedal to 30mph, or skinny pedal to 70 mph.

Seems like to big boys are running 2.0 or 3.0 at best for tcase.

Yeah we’ve never lost an AW4 before either. The trans builder is trying to blame us of course but we raced an entire season last year on the exact same trans cooler, lines etc and never had an issue. We never lost a tire so we didn’t have to use the patched tire. Those Maxxis Razr MTs are killer and we’ll just keep using them until we don’t have any more and then I guess I’ll start looking for a tire company that’s interested in a truck that consistently gets air time lol

There has been some weird stuff going on with corporate this past year, they have dropped quite a few grassroots teams for whatever reason.

Top Back Refresh