What's new

Just got a message from Ashke.

Not sure why you have such a hard on for him, but "making it" is relative. From what I've read about him from a few years ago, he's definitely made it, doing a complete life turn around for the better. Is he ready to retire and live on an island? Of course not. But there's no need to keep rubbing his nose in shit when clearly he's making progress in the right direction.
Sometimes it can seem that some here would be happier if the man had never turned things around.

Unsolicited 2 cents of something you've done that's not a fuck up, but you will kick yourself in the ass years later for if you never do it and gaff it off...

Tuition assistance. Use it. You get $4500/year in FREE TA every fiscal year. You can earn your degree while on active duty and keep your GI Bill in one piece after your EAS. You can pass your GI Bill (I believe you need to be over 10 years or second enlistment or some shit...google it, but you can) to your wife or kid as well.

And spare me the excuse of lack of time. Trust me, there isn't a "good" time to do school. But just do it. Start with one class at a time if you must. 2 at a time is definitely doable. Get your Joint Transcript (JST), see what credits they will give you, and start with something easy, like an Associates in General Studies if there's nothing that's of interest to you. That's what I started with. I went through American Military University and it's all online. At the least, you'll knock out all your gen ed classes when you get a bachelor's later on.

I'll do everything but physically do this for you. I am happy to even walk you through over the phone, whatever you need. I am now 112/121 credit hours done with my degree and I've spent $0.00 for my degree and my GI Bill is in tact. Whether you get out after your first contract, second, or lifer, it's a good thing to do.

Bonus big brain move: Apply for FAFSA and get MONEY IN YOUR POCKET while taking these classes.
I keep thinking to do this, but I don't know where to start, I'll be honest. I used to swear up and down that I wouldn't go to college and now I have the opportunity to do so for no cost. I don't know what I want to study or learn. Well, I'd like to actually gain more trade skills. Welding TIG/MIG, I'd like to redo the course and pass the weld test. I took a mig and tig combo welding course on a grant few years back.

I keep thinking to do this, but I don't know where to start, I'll be honest. I used to swear up and down that I wouldn't go to college and now I have the opportunity to do so for no cost. I don't know what I want to study or learn. Well, I'd like to actually gain more trade skills. Welding TIG/MIG, I'd like to redo the course and pass the weld test. I took a mig and tig combo welding course on a grant few years back.
Hell I'm almost 52 and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. There's a few things I know I don't want to be.

Dude, the easiest thing you could do right now is get some certs under your belt within your MOS from the local community college or something. Around me, basic IT certs and a few years of experience coming out of a .gov setting is like, $70k+/yr, easy.

College is a scan anyways, just take courses until you find a degree path that is easy to complete. By that point, you'll be able to take courses that are interesting all by themselves without the horse ass that is a degree program
Yeah, Certs>Degrees for most things.

I don't disagree, and I think TA will cover some vouchers for tests for certain certifications and such. It would require effort, aka, giving a fuck enough to spend an hour or two researching.

All I'm saying is that he has an opportunity to get college credits at literally zero cost to him. To pass on that is just foolish.

I don't disagree, and I think TA will cover some vouchers for tests for certain certifications and such. It would require effort, aka, giving a fuck enough to spend an hour or two researching.

All I'm saying is that he has an opportunity to get college credits at literally zero cost to him. To pass on that is just foolish.
Yup especially when you get that extra pay. There are college classes that are exam prep for certs. That's the way to go AND it helps your CURRENT career while giving you experience for the outside.

There a lot of college options. I am only going to speak for my personal experience. If you want to entertain other routes, the homework is on you.

Pick a place that's regionally accredited. This allows you to transfer credits to another institution or attend a post grad program later on.

American Military University (AMU) and American Public University System (APUS) is one and the same, so don't let the two different names confuse you. AMU is regionally accredited.

If you have not a fucking clue, I'll get you started. This route I know, I'm comfortable with navigating (to help where needed), and if you decide to transfer schools or whatever later on, your credits will transfer. But for someone like you that doesn't have an idea on what they want to do, this is the route to take. I did this exact path myself because I didn't know either.

• Go to American Public University System - Official Site - 877-755-2787 | American Public University System (APUS) and create an account.
  • Degree path: Associates in General Studies. Why GS? Because it's...general. And you'll need to take every one of these fucking classes for any bachelor's later on, so just start knocking them out. And when you decide to pursue your bachelor's, you'll have 60 credit completed (Associates is 60 credits, bachelor's are 120) and 60 to go.
  • You need to ask your NCOs/SNCOs who your tuition assistance approver is. Typically, it's the Adjutant/Legal Officer in the S-1/G-1.
  • You need to know the above for when you submit your TA forms. The portal is here (CAC login): Welcome to My Education

How you do this shit:

1) Enroll in a class. For your very first time, just do one class. If the workload is easy, next time, take 2 classes at once. AMU does 8 week classes and they start at the beginning of every month. You will need about 1 month lead time to get started, explained below...
2) AMU will ask how you're paying for it. Select military TA.
3) AMU will need proof of your approved TA. When you fill out the TA form in the link above, you'll need the POC for your unit TA approver.
4) It'll take anywhere from a week to 3 weeks (hence one month lead time) for your TA to get approved and you to upload the approved TA.pdf form into AMU
5) Take class, make your posts on time, and complete your assignments.

Also depends on what you're doing. Have plenty of former .mil turned CTR friends (and civilian for that matter) that are black and white.... "Pay is 100k/yr with your 4 years of experience in lieu of a degree. But with your experience AND the degree...pay is $120k/yr"

Doesn't make the degree or degree-less personally any more or less qualified, but damn if the piece of paper won't help negotiate your salary.

I have a whole rant on "real school online real school" and how it will get you a "real degree I promise real"

It's actually worked to get several people who thought school would be too difficult or take too much time.

Gist if it: c's get degrees and nobody is grading your work anyways. Meet the Rubic, mostly, and give it as little attention as it deserves

It'd be worthless if it didn't guarantee promotions for a .gov job

Not sure why you have such a hard on for him, but "making it" is relative. From what I've read about him from a few years ago, he's definitely made it, doing a complete life turn around for the better. Is he ready to retire and live on an island? Of course not. But there's no need to keep rubbing his nose in shit when clearly he's making progress in the right direction.
He's made progress, but he damn sure hasn't made it all the way.
He's getting plenty of attaboys and backslaps here, and in that post of mine that you quoted i acknowledge his achievements and that he has without a doubt 'made progress' as well. I'm just trying to do my part to keep the fire lit under him and provide another format of feedback, in the event that's beneficial and/or necessary to him, which i fully believe it is.

It's pretty obvious that if I were just here to beat him down and didn't intend to be helpful in any way, I could achieve it with far fewer words/effort.

In 12 step programs, the 12th step in the programs is 'don't close the door' on the past because once you think you've got it beat and it's no longer a concern, it'll creep right back in on you.
I will remain cautiously skeptical that a 25+ year established habit/pattern of dysfunction, lack of self discipline, and poor judgement has been fully and totally broken and don't accept that 2 yrs of functioning adult behavior out of close supervision that have elapsed since graduating bootcamp is irrefutable evidence that he is 100% rehabilitated from his past self destructive habits and behavioral instincts, and that it is entirely implausible for him to retrogress at this point...

But he is certainly on the right path, so my advise him has been to keep his boot on the gas and not get cocky or complacent in order to ensure his continued success.

Last edited:
He's getting plenty of attaboys and backslaps here, and in that post you quoted i acknowledge his achievements and that he has 'made progress' as well. i'm just trying doing my part to keep the fire lit under him and provide another format of feedback, in the event that's beneficial and/or necessary to him, which i fully believe it is..

It's pretty obvious that if I were just here to beat him down and didn't intend to be helpful in any way, I could achieve it with far fewer words/effort.

In 12 step programs, the 12th step in the programs is 'don't close the door' on the past because once you think you've got it beat, it'll creep back in on you.
I will remain cautiously skeptical that a 25+ year established habit/pattern of dysfunction, lack of self discipline, and poor judgement has been fully and totally broken and don't accept that 2 yrs of functioning adult behavior out of close supervision that have elapsed since graduating bootcamp is irrefutable evidence that he is 100% rehabilitated from his past self destructive habits and behavioral instincts...

But he is certainly on the right path, so my advise him has been to keep his boot on the gas and not get cocky or complacent in order to ensure his continued success.

Only difference between the dumb shit he did and the dumb shit you and I did when we were his age is that we didn't post about it on pirate for everyone to read :laughing::homer:

He's getting plenty of attaboys and backslaps here, and in that post you quoted i acknowledge his achievements and that he has without a doubt 'made progress' as well. I'm just trying to do my part to keep the fire lit under him and provide another format of feedback, in the event that's beneficial and/or necessary to him, which i fully believe it is.

In 12 step programs, the 12th step in the programs is 'don't close the door' on the past because once you think you've got it beat, it'll creep back in on you.
I will remain cautiously skeptical that a 25+ year established habit/pattern of dysfunction, lack of self discipline, and poor judgement has been fully and totally broken and don't accept that 2 yrs of functioning adult behavior out of close supervision that have elapsed since graduating bootcamp is irrefutable evidence that he is 100% rehabilitated from his past self destructive habits and behavioral instincts...

25+ years? Right, because when I was 10 I shouldn't have been fucking playing outside, I should have been playing ethical corporate work my ass off and trying to suck the golden covered shit out of your ass instead, trying to ensure that there wouldn't be a pattern of dysfunctional behavior and trouble because I totally would have understood that. When I was a baby I should already have been wiping my ass by myself instead of my parents doing it for me. How selfish of me.

25+ years? Right, because when I was 10 I shouldn't have been fucking playing outside, I should have been playing ethical corporate work my ass off and trying to suck the golden covered shit out of your ass instead, trying to ensure that there wouldn't be a pattern of dysfunctional behavior and trouble because I totally would have understood that. When I was a baby I should already have been wiping my ass by myself instead of my parents doing it for me. How selfish of me.
Drop it. The point wasn't that you were doing it, the point is it wasn't modeled behavior to you by you mom etc

25+ years? Right, because when I was 10 I shouldn't have been fucking playing outside, I should have been playing ethical corporate qork my ass off and trying to suck the golden covered shit out of your ass instead, trying to ensure that there wouldn't be a pattern of dysfunctional behavior and trouble because I totally would have understood that. When I was a baby I should already have been wiping my ass by myself instead of my parents doing it for me. How selfish of me.
Yes, clinically speaking, your behavior is/was a product of the manner in which you were raised and so yes, the behavior pattern had been nurtured more or less since childhood. But I fully acknowledge that this was not your choice/ nor is it your fault.

That's a big obstacle to overcome and like i said, you're doing well and definitely on the right track. It was certainly not intended as an insult/ attack on you..

Last edited:
I have a whole rant on "real school online real school" and how it will get you a "real degree I promise real"

It's actually worked to get several people who thought school would be too difficult or take too much time.

Gist if it: c's get degrees and nobody is grading your work anyways. Meet the Rubic, mostly, and give it as little attention as it deserves

It'd be worthless if it didn't guarantee promotions for a .gov job

I'm old, so I went to school where you had to be physically in the room. I went to a range of schools for different degrees from a small liberal arts school, Ivy League and a land grant university (for my doctorate.)

Early on, successful people learn that it is about grit over wit. LOTS of really brilliant people who can't hack the regimen. The engaged learner, the person who is willing to listen and pay attention and engage, will enjoy a lot about school. Top students learn that all subjects are connected to one another and it doesn't matter much what you are studying once you can uncover the structure for how and what is being taught.

The first axiom I learned in the Ivy League was that the 'gentleman's C' is completely acceptable. Getting through is the reward. Walking the stage. Getting the sheepskin.

My youngest finished his senior year of college onine and flourished because he understood that what mattered was getting it done and staying focused.

Being consistent and living up to and having a standard is what makes for success.

They get promoted because they can be counted on to be consistent and have a standard that they follow.

I'm old, so I went to school where you had to be physically in the room. I went to a range of schools for different degrees from a small liberal arts school, Ivy League and a land grant university (for my doctorate.)

Early on, successful people learn that it is about grit over wit. LOTS of really brilliant people who can't hack the regimen. The engaged learner, the person who is willing to listen and pay attention and engage, will enjoy a lot about school. Top students learn that all subjects are connected to one another and it doesn't matter much what you are studying once you can uncover the structure for how and what is being taught.

The first axiom I learned in the Ivy League was that the 'gentleman's C' is completely acceptable. Getting through is the reward. Walking the stage. Getting the sheepskin.

My youngest finished his senior year of college onine and flourished because he understood that what mattered was getting it done and staying focused.

Being consistent and living up to and having a standard is what makes for success.

They get promoted because they can be counted on to be consistent and have a standard that they follow.
School has always been shit. The only value to learning is the library and what you are willing to seek yourself.

The industry is a fucking scam, the translation to work ethic is a fucking scam. Always has been

School has always been shit. The only value to learning is the library and what you are willing to seek yourself.

The industry is a fucking scam, the translation to work ethic is a fucking scam. Always has been
It must have been hard thinking that, and having to do the work.

I had some great, great teachers, and i very much appreciated a lot of the guidance I got from many of them (not all)

I agree that exploring on your own and chasing the things that interest you are very valuable.

There isn't any need to debate a topic where you are convinced, so, that one is all yours, just know, not everyone shares that take.

It must have been hard thinking that, and having to do the work.

I had some great, great teachers, and i very much appreciated a lot of the guidance I got from many of them (not all)

I agree that exploring on your own and chasing the things that interest you are very valuable.

There isn't any need to debate a topic where you are convinced, so, that one is all yours, just know, not everyone shares that take.
I've hated school my whole life :laughing: took me 3 colleges to actually complete my BA. It is absolute ass thinking there is supposed to be value there, and looking for it. The good teacher is rare, rare enough to not justify the whole program.

However, taking the attitude of its all meaningless bullshit and nobody gives a fuck, makes it easier to treat appropriately.

Ivy League school vs AMU 100% online doesn't mean shit these days, all the same for the 99% of jobs that "require a degree"

You can wipe yer ass now, cain't ya? :flipoff2:

However, taking the attitude of its all meaningless bullshit and nobody gives a fuck, makes it easier to treat appropriately.

Ivy League school vs AMU 100% online doesn't mean shit these days, all the same for the 99% of jobs that "require a degree"

Yeah, it sucked for you, but you got through, so, your take is just as valid as anyone else's, go for it. No argument from me, it just wasn't my experience. I enjoyed a lot of school and the annoying shit, I just didn't focus on.

Being that I attended all the different types of school and even taught junior college (adjunct faculty) for several years (fun and easy money) what I can tell you from experience is that the benefit of Ivy League schools is that the people you are in class with come from families who can open doors for you.

The people who run the world went to those schools and if you are friends with them, doors open for you that would not be open otherwise.

Remember the pictures of George Bush walking with the Saudi Prince and King holding hands? They were all classmates.

Bill and Hillary Clinton were classmates with Clarence Thomas. They used to drink beer together.

If I wrote a good movie script, I have two friends from school who are big time movie producers who, if they liked it, would make it. I could call them today and have access. That is what the Ivy league has over online school.

The information (I'd submit) is best experienced with a guide, you can do it yourself, but there are details you will miss. If your classmates also have deep connections to the subject at hand, that also changes the experience. We went on a tour of a place we have been many times before, but with a guide this trip, and it was surprising how much more we got from having someone show us what was important and why.

I hope Ashke gets a great education from his experience in the marines.... it has done much good for many and destroyed a few. In my experience, that has as much to do with what you bring to it as it does the thing itself.

i was with you up until this point; I've never used 90% of the content I studied to get my business degree, and nobody outside of a HR/hiring screener has ever asked about my GPA ( my 2.998 rounds to 3.0 as far as i'm concerned :homer:), and as long as the credits transfer, it doesn't matter one single bit where you do the associates degree/ general studies portion of a degree; if you play your cards right, you can do the last yr/semester somewhere with impressive name recognition if that matters too .

But the value equation in Ivy league is that you're a member of a their club/social class; ivy leaguers will hire their own graduates just because you're one of their kind, with zero regard for your GPA nor what you studied/learned to get the degree.
The expensive in-person MBA programs are similar, the networking/ rubbing elbows with other people who are about to be hired for those 3 letters after their name are going to plug their buddies from school into other executive roles given the opportunity. The classes /coursework is not terribly difficult at all. (There are complete imbeciles who can barely tie their own shoelaces with MBA's who climb the corporate ladder very fast those 3 letters and a willingness to brown their nose as required.)
If you're willing to willing to play that game and kiss asses and you can ride it a long way up.

Last edited:
Yeah, it sucked for you, but you got through, so, your take is just as valid as anyone else's, go for it. No argument from me, it just wasn't my experience. I enjoyed a lot of school and the annoying shit, I just didn't focus on.

Being that I attended all the different types of school and even taught junior college (adjunct faculty) for several years (fun and easy money) what I can tell you from experience is that the benefit of Ivy League schools is that the people you are in class with come from families who can open doors for you.

The people who run the world went to those schools and if you are friends with them, doors open for you that would not be open otherwise.

Remember the pictures of George Bush walking with the Saudi Prince and King holding hands? They were all classmates.

Bill and Hillary Clinton were classmates with Clarence Thomas. They used to drink beer together.

If I wrote a good movie script, I have two friends from school who are big time movie producers who, if they liked it, would make it. I could call them today and have access. That is what the Ivy league has over online school.

The information (I'd submit) is best experienced with a guide, you can do it yourself, but there are details you will miss. If your classmates also have deep connections to the subject at hand, that also changes the experience. We went on a tour of a place we have been many times before, but with a guide this trip, and it was surprising how much more we got from having someone show us what was important and why.

I hope Ashke gets a great education from his experience in the marines.... it has done much good for many and destroyed a few. In my experience, that has as much to do with what you bring to it as it does the thing itself.
Sure, and it's a sad state that the school isn't the cuase about it. The social circle is. Fucking fraternity brotherhood has more value than a degree, and costs a shit ton less

i was with you up until this point; I've never used 90% of the content I studied to get my business degree, and nobody outside of a HR/hiring screener has ever asked about my GPA ( my 2.998 rounds to 3.0 as far as i'm concerned :homer:).

But the value equation in Ivy league is that you're a member of a their club/social class; ivy leaguers will hire their own graduates just because you're one of their kind, with zero regard for your GPA nor what you studied/learned to get the degree.
The expensive in-person MBA programs are similar, the networking/ rubbing elbows with other people who are about to be hired for those 3 letters after their name are going to plug their buddies from school into other executive roles given the opportunity. The classes /coursework is not terribly difficult at all. (There are complete imbeciles who can barely tie their own shoelaces with MBA's who climb the corporate ladder very fast those 3 letters and a willingness to brown their nose as required.)
If you're willing to willing to play that game and kiss asses and you can ride it a long way up

That's all, the degree, the university itself is a joke. The past 10 years and the joke is hyper. 20 or 30 or 40 years ago is wildly different than the uselessness today.

Kiss ass and suck dick in college or kiss ass and suck dick in the real world, all the same

Sure, and it's a sad state that the school isn't the cuase about it. The social circle is. Fucking fraternity brotherhood has more value than a degree, and costs a shit ton less

I think the marine brotherhood is very powerful too.

I had not thought about cost. Maybe my positive outlook comes from never having paid a dime to go to school. I was poor, but always on scholarship/fellowship.

I think the marine brotherhood is very powerful too.

I had not thought about cost. Maybe my positive outlook comes from never having paid a dime to go to school. I was poor, but always on scholarship/fellowship.
Free 3 to 4 years to fuck off and remain a child isn't bad. Then be told you are important as soon as you cross the line, sure.

Yet still when you are 30 you are worth far more, realize you didn't learn shit for your job of value, and realize you can still make friends if you want.

Costs explode each time it gets more "free" . You are paying the cost for others now, but now you can afford it so no big deal, no accountability required

Top Back Refresh