What's new

Just got a message from Ashke.

You posted that you had lost your glasses in the accident and couldn’t figure out how to get and/or afford new ones with the correct prescription in a timely fashion for your upcoming MEPS date, and couldn’t see with your old ones bc they were wrong scrip. you eventually got it figured out after a week or so after rejecting all the easy solutions presented by members here ( and I believe did so through some funding from guys here iirc.)
You couldn’t figure out how to resolve towing and storage/ how to access your totaled vehicle to get possessions. You were aftraid to drive the XJ because of death wobble and were worried about losing your job for not showing up or having to operate a forklift blind/ without glasses. It was a total goat rodeo for a solid week of IBB trying to spoon feed you solutions to easy problems that you deemed insurmountable.

Again, I hope you keep going the right direction but be reverent of your past and use that as motivation to ensure you don’t repeat it. You’re on the path in the right direction, but haven't arrived and can’t coast- so keep going deliberately.
How's the view from up there.

artworks-000082486391-4iykvk-t500x500.jpg

It's been a long time hearing from you. I look up to you a lot. The Cherokee lower rad hose didnt have a spring in it and it was collapsing, you took me to your f700 and we pulled the lower rad hose on it, fished the coil out, and stuffed it into the hose on the Cherokee, along with a new thermostat.You gave me clean clothes and a shower, and fed me taco bell then sent me on my way. I'll never forget that night.

As for the Suburban, when I set the intake down, I hadn't run a bead at the back of the valley but I had already set it down and bolted it. Thought maybe I could reach back there with a tube of rtv and seal it together but, no. You told me that was a bad idea.

Well, sure enough.

You never did talk to me again after that and j always wondered after all these years how badly I let you down. I hope I've earned the life you gave me a chance to have.
You didn't let me down. You were finding your own way and I had to let you do it. Glad you are are making it!

I didn't remember the radiator hose deal, and I would have swore we pulled the new thermostat completely out of the housing to limp you along.

Rob

How's the view from up

Not high horse at all, just an accurate objective summary of the real situation at the time as we all observed it unfolding, when not viewed through rose colored glasses in hindsight.

Again not to harp on it; it’s in the past, and I think I made my intent in bringing it up pretty clear in the subsequent posts.

Last edited:
You didn't let me down. You were finding your own way and I had to let you do it. Glad you are are making it!

I didn't remember the radiator hose deal, and I would have swore we pulled the new thermostat completely out of the housing to limp you along.

Rob
I think you're right, we pulled the thermostat entirely and I simply out a new one in later at bassntrucks.

I feel like it goes without saying these days, but, I'll say something anyway. I know it doesn't ultimately mean anything when important stuff gets said through a bullshit message board, but whatever.

I'm extremely grateful for the ones who helped me since the very first day. It's been a long, arduous journey and I didn't know where I would end up or that I would ultimately be able to achieve what I was after for so long. Something about the definition of insanity, trying the same thing over and over and getting the same results? The Marines, the trading of POS shitboxess?

I'm ultimately where I am today because quite a few people stuck their neck out for me and gave me a helping hand when it really looked like they shouldn't, and gave me a chance anyway. DMG, robeakin, Ste_Gra775, D_JEEPER, plym49.2, 2big bronco (the og fuckwad penis me thinks), I think about what you guys did for me almost every day. I hope I continue to earn the life you have given me and helped me maintain a chance to get to when I didn't deserve it. I'll never forget what this board (and PBB) did for me when I continuously bumbled around and fucked it up.

Now I have multiple cars/toys and a family that I love, a son that means everything to me, a wife who stands by my side, and I can only hope and strive to ensure that my son/future kids get the proper life that I didn't get, and that your lessons across the board pass on from me to them and so on, and that maybe one day I will be able to help a young lad in way over his head the way you helped me.

It's hard to believe sometimes that it was 7 years ago that I cried about my mistake on Pirate, stranded with no job and recently dumped. I sure didn't know what I was doing then, and, even now, I have much to learn. I think I have learned a lot since then, to be able to maintain my life and stay on my feet this go around and keep my shit together and my family happy and fed, and fuel in the trucks. At least I have the Scout now to use those dooty cycles :flipoff2:

Thank you all, and not just the ones I named in the post, for everything. It's nothing but up from here and it would be without you guiding me through my fuck ups.

I hope to meet many of you some day and continue to make you proud.

I love this board, I love you guys.

Last edited:
Free and clear with 0 property taxes

After I owned it for several years and realized I hadnt gotten a tax bill I went down to the courthouse. They said that the parcel has never had an apraised value and ill never get a tax bill. I didnt ask any more questions and walked out.
Thank God at least one person has not had to pay the crown. :beer:

I own property in California
The saying means one day when we pass the stuff we "own" stays here to be "owned" by the next person. Unless you can take it with you it is only your's for a time therefore none of us actually own anything but essentially are renters. . This can be depressing or freeing depending on your take.

Way too much kumbayah up in here now M'f'ers.:flipoff2::flipoff2:
You can root for the guy and laugh at him at the same time.

Im on the edge of my seat waiting for him to post up about getting his chin stuck in a coffee cup or gluing his arm to a small block intake and shitting his pants before he realizes he could of just taken off his jacket and made it to the toilet. :flipoff2:

Last edited:
Im on the edge of my seat waiting for him to post up about getting his chin stuck in a coffee cup or gluing his arm to a small block intake and shitting his pants before he realizes he could of just taken off his jacket and made it to the toilet. :flipoff2:

:laughing:

I feel like it goes without saying these days, but, I'll say something anyway. I know it doesn't ultimately mean anything when important stuff gets said through a bullshit message board, but whatever.

I'm extremely grateful for the ones who helped me since the very first day. It's been a long, arduous journey and I didn't know where I would end up or that I would ultimately be able to achieve what I was after for so long. Something about the definition of insanity, trying the same thing over and over and getting the same results? The Marines, the trading of POS shitboxess?

I'm ultimately where I am today because quite a few people stuck their neck out for me and gave me a helping hand when it really looked like they shouldn't, and gave me a chance anyway. DMG, robeakin, Ste_Gra775, D_JEEPER, plym49.2, 2big bronco (the og fuckwad penis me thinks), I think about you guys did for me almost every day. I hope I continue to earn the life you have given me and helped me maintain a chance to get to when I didn't deserve it. I'll never forget what this board (and PBB) did for me when I continuously bumbled around and fucked it up.

Now I have multiple cars/toys and a family that I love, a son that means everything to me, a wife who stands by my side, and I can only hope and strive to ensure that my son/future kids get the proper life that I didn't get, and that your lessons across the board pass on from me to them and so on, and that maybe one day I will be able to help a young lad in way over his head the way you helped me.

It's hard to believe sometimes that it was 7 years ago that I cried about my mistake on Pirate, stranded with no job and recently dumped. I sure didn't know what I was doing then, and, even know, I have much to learn. I think I have learned a lot since then, to be able to maintain my life and stay on my feet this go around and keep my shit together and my family happy and fed, and fuel in the trucks. At least I have the Scout now to use those dooty cycles :flipoff2:

Thank you all, and not just the ones I named in the post, for everything. It's nothing but up from here and it would be without you guiding me through my fuck ups.

I hope to meet many of you some day and continue to make you proud.

I love this board, I love you guys.
Great post, and thank you.

I really do hope we get to meet some day.

You can root for the guy and laugh at him at the same time.

Don't count on it. I don't own a small block anything anymore and I don't anticipate owning another 350.

I shit my pants regardless. :flipoff2:

I use a Stanley thermos for my coffee. My chin doesn't fit. And for a regular cup, I've got my issued canteen cup. Wide enough to not catch the crimson chin. I'm prepared these days.

Don't count on it. I don't own a small block anything anymore and I don't anticipate owning another 350.

I use a Stanley thermos for my coffee. My chin doesn't fit. And for a regular cup, I've got my issued canteen cup. Wide enough to not catch the crimson chin. I'm prepared these days.
And that's part of becoming an adult, making sure your thermos is too small and your cup too big for your chin to get stuck in.:beer:

See, he gets it now. :flipoff2:

It's nothing but up from here and it would be without you guiding me through my fuck ups.
Unsolicited 2 cents of something you've done that's not a fuck up, but you will kick yourself in the ass years later for if you never do it and gaff it off...

Tuition assistance. Use it. You get $4500/year in FREE TA every fiscal year. You can earn your degree while on active duty and keep your GI Bill in one piece after your EAS. You can pass your GI Bill (I believe you need to be over 10 years or second enlistment or some shit...google it, but you can) to your wife or kid as well.

And spare me the excuse of lack of time. Trust me, there isn't a "good" time to do school. But just do it. Start with one class at a time if you must. 2 at a time is definitely doable. Get your Joint Transcript (JST), see what credits they will give you, and start with something easy, like an Associates in General Studies if there's nothing that's of interest to you. That's what I started with. I went through American Military University and it's all online. At the least, you'll knock out all your gen ed classes when you get a bachelor's later on.

I'll do everything but physically do this for you. I am happy to even walk you through over the phone, whatever you need. I am now 112/121 credit hours done with my degree and I've spent $0.00 for my degree and my GI Bill is in tact. Whether you get out after your first contract, second, or lifer, it's a good thing to do.

Bonus big brain move: Apply for FAFSA and get MONEY IN YOUR POCKET while taking these classes.

You’ll be closer, but no I think you certainly wouldn’t be able to say ‘I’ve made it’ as an e5/6 with 3 kids and a mortgage, shit you’re probably still at the bottom 1/3 of the hill there. You’re on the right path but always gonna have to keep grinding/keep hustling continuously for several decades.
I don’t know that anyone can say they’ve ‘made it’ before their kids are raised and out of the house and they’re set for retirement, I know that I can’t. If you’re paying your bills and putting a roof over the family with food on the table without going into debt, you aren’t doing bad though.

I agree you’re far better off than you were, so keep it up and keep going… and I definitely am not saying that you shouldn’t be proud of what you’ve accomplished because you absolutely should. my point i hope to convey to you is that just as fast as you climbed out of the hole you came from, you can fall back down in it if you start getting complacent, and backsliding to your old habits; and you’d be wise to never lose sight of that, because it’s where you came from and a place you don’t want to return to.

Again, you’re getting it together, but in hind sight, I think everyone here would agree that none of us ‘had our shit fully together’ in our 20’s even if we thought we did. The hubris it takes to say that at this point in your journey is mildly concerning so I’ll call it out. So keep grinding and keep climbing.

Not sure why you have such a hard on for him, but "making it" is relative. From what I've read about him from a few years ago, he's definitely made it, doing a complete life turn around for the better. Is he ready to retire and live on an island? Of course not. But there's no need to keep rubbing his nose in shit when clearly he's making progress in the right direction.

Top Back Refresh