What's new

Jeep JK Power Steering Pumps

Big4x4ride

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Corpus Christi TX
Lets discuss Power Steering Pump options. To begin, I am running a 2014 JKU (3.6L) on Tons and 40's. Hydro assist using stock tapped box and PSC 1.75" x 6.75" ram. With the stock pump, steering worked, but left a bit to be desired at lower RPM's. Ended up ordered the PSC PK36JP1 power steering pump kit (pump, reservoir, cooler, etc.). Steering works great now. For those that have not installed the pump that comes with this kit (SP43362J-2402), the factory 3.6 mounting bracket is removed and an entirely new bracket is installed with the new pump. The SP43362J is the actual pump part number, and 2402 designates the pully part number, in this instance its a 5.5" Serpentine pulley. The factory belt length is also changed, requiring a 900K6 belt now (90.5").

Shortly after building my rig, a buddy does almost the same built with his 2007 JKU (3.8L). Tons and 40's again, with the same PSC 1.75" x 6.75" ram. From the get go he went ahead and upgraded the PS Pump utilizing the PSC kit for his Jeep (PK38JP1). This kit includes PS pump number SP43362J-3608 same pump with a different pulley (6" Serpentine pulley in this case). The other noticeable difference is that the 3.8 does not require you to change the PS pump mounting bracket in order to install the PSC pump, and actually utilizes the factory belt length, which is the same 900K6 (90.5") that the 3.6 is swapped over to.

So, the question/ determination here is what to do for a spare PS pump. I could pony up $425 for a complete SP43362J-2402 pump with pulley, or $350 without the pulley. We could carry 1 pump without pulley between both of us since when wheeling we are generally together, which is much cheaper than each carrying $350 pumps. OR, he can carry his factory pump, or a factory replacement as a spare would just need an adapter hose to connect to the PSC reservoir, or mod the pump to utilize a fitting to go to -10AN. Seeing that the PSC conversion makes both the 3.6 and 3.8 use the same pump, I should theoretically be able to carry the same thing, a replacement 3.8 PS pump, but with the appropriate 5.5" pulley vs the 6". Has anyone else dug into this and came to the same conclusion?? I'm just trying to avoid carrying more expensive spares than I need to, but at the same time making sure I have something to extend a wheeling trip.

The other question to this ( I havent had time to sit and look into this), is what is so different on the physical mounting of the 3.6 and 3.8 pump that makes them different and requires a different bracket for the 3.6?

Just buy the correct pump for your car and let him buy the correct one for his.

Seems like PSC developed a pump for the 3.8L, and it works, so when the 3.6L came out, they chose to adapt that pump to the 3.6L. Maybe the 3.6L pump had some flaws the 3.8L pump didn’t have, or maybe they wanted to use common parts between applications.

I bet the difference in pulley diameter is due to crank pulley diameter differences, or engine RPM differences.

This is all just a guess, your guess is as good as mine, or call them, but last time I called them I didn’t have great results (no actual issues, just the guy I got on the phone clearly didn’t want to talk to me).

Seems like PSC developed a pump for the 3.8L, and it works, so when the 3.6L came out, they chose to adapt that pump to the 3.6L. Maybe the 3.6L pump had some flaws the 3.8L pump didn’t have, or maybe they wanted to use common parts between applications.

That's similar to my thought, I figure it was easier to design a bracket than to modify another pump style. (Still curious about what the physical pump difference is since they are both CBR pumps I believe).
I bet the difference in pulley diameter is due to crank pulley diameter differences, or engine RPM differences.

Crank pully was my thought here, I'm going to grab some measurements to prove this next chance I get.
This is all just a guess, your guess is as good as mine, or call them, but last time I called them I didn’t have great results (no actual issues, just the guy I got on the phone clearly didn’t want to talk to me).

PSC has tended to be less than helpful anytime I have called them. I'd be open to another pump option for sure. I know Radial Dynamics posted previously about their CBR pump options, however I don't see them on their site any longer and just haven't had the opportunity during the day to give them a call.

I run a PSC pump on my 3.8. It mounted to the factory mount, but came with a new idler pulley and uses a shorter belt.

I'm guessing if needed I could swap back to the factory pump in a pinch but I don't know how it would work with a big bore steering box and a ram.

One option is to buy a pump, and each buy the correct pulley that utlizes a steel mounting hub. Look at PSC-PP3608A and the PSC-PP2410A. I think those are the correct diameters and offsets to match what you currently have, but please confirm before going too far.

1712065329998.png

That's similar to my thought, I figure it was easier to design a bracket than to modify another pump style. (Still curious about what the physical pump difference is since they are both CBR pumps I believe).

Crank pully was my thought here, I'm going to grab some measurements to prove this next chance I get.

PSC has tended to be less than helpful anytime I have called them. I'd be open to another pump option for sure. I know Radial Dynamics posted previously about their CBR pump options, however I don't see them on their site any longer and just haven't had the opportunity during the day to give them a call.
I'm still a vendor on here, they just don't run the banner ads anymore. The two CBR pumps that you and your buddy got are the same. However, the difference in the pulleys is an issue if you want to share a spare pump. I don't know the crank pulley diameters on your motors but I assume that the different pump pulleys were to match up pump shaft RPM for the two different motors.

Problem is, the 5.5" PP2402 pulley on your pump has a different offset and sits 1/4" farther forward from the 6" PP3608 on your buddies pump so if you wanted to share a spare pump and pulley, one of you would need to be able to adjust the pump spacing from the motor by 1/4" and also carry a separate belt for the difference in length (maybe you can get away with one if there is enough adjustment in your tensioner).

I tend to avoid CBR pumps as I have been able to achieve far greater reliability and performance with my Pro Series TC pumps which are a bolt in replacement for a CBR. You would still need to deal with the pulley offset issue though if you wanted to both use the same pump. I like Wisconsinite's idea for the fixed hubs with swappable pulleys although unfortunately PSC does not offer the two-piece design for the PP2402 option.

I'm still a vendor on here, they just don't run the banner ads anymore. The two CBR pumps that you and your buddy got are the same. However, the difference in the pulleys is an issue if you want to share a spare pump. I don't know the crank pulley diameters on your motors but I assume that the different pump pulleys were to match up pump shaft RPM for the two different motors.

Problem is, the 5.5" PP2402 pulley on your pump has a different offset and sits 1/4" farther forward from the 6" PP3608 on your buddies pump so if you wanted to share a spare pump and pulley, one of you would need to be able to adjust the pump spacing from the motor by 1/4" and also carry a separate belt for the difference in length (maybe you can get away with one if there is enough adjustment in your tensioner).

I tend to avoid CBR pumps as I have been able to achieve far greater reliability and performance with my Pro Series TC pumps which are a bolt in replacement for a CBR. You would still need to deal with the pulley offset issue though if you wanted to both use the same pump. I like Wisconsinite's idea for the fixed hubs with swappable pulleys although unfortunately PSC does not offer the two-piece design for the PP2402 option.
That would explain why I didn't see the CBR pump on your page. I've been reading the CBR Steering pump thread, saw a ton of great info there, but that was also from 2020ish. Guess I need to get with the times lol! Appreciate the feedback. I'm looking at your Trail Series TC pump now, may just go ahead an snag one from you in the near future.

Top Back Refresh