What's new

How hard is inflation going to hit, or has hit?

I'm just 100% confused by anyone using electric for their water heater
gas water heaters are just so hammer-simple and nothing ever goes wrong with them, even if it means punching a flue through the roof and having a tank in the yard there's no way I wouldn't use one
added bonus is that then you have gas for a proper kitchen stove
Price, most every time

gas water heaters are just so hammer-simple and nothing ever goes wrong with them, even if it means punching a flue through the roof and having a tank in the yard there's no way I wouldn't use one
Our neighborhood has zero access to gas lines. Older homes in the area do. It’s one of the few thing I don’t like about our house. I prefer gas water heaters and stoves vs. electric.

I've lived in houses, and like the NG stove, water heater, hvac, etc from a utility line.

No way in hell I'm retrofitting a house for propane and propane accessories.

Neighbor two houses down had solar panels installed. I’m curious what they will look like of another hurricane hits.
We don't have the bad part of those up here, but we do have a once every 20 years hail storm where everyone gets a new roof and $3500 beater cars become $1100 beater cars overnight.

I’m entertaining off grid solar for the more passive things. The high demand stuff like furnace lights might as well stay on grid. But freezers that are already frozen don’t have a big draw demand. I’ve got a back up generator to keep things frozen in the event of a long term outage but think solar would be a safer bet.

Cross post but relevant here.

Today 11/9/21 4 new Cooper STT Pro tires 285/70/17 load range E. $1,447.62 OTD.

October 2nd 2020 last year the same set of 4 was $1,151.52. #letsgobrandon 🤬

No gas service where i live and didnt want to add an aditional system (lpg) when building the house. I bought a large well insulated water heater and so far it always works. I prefer a gas stove but my fancy electric one seems to do whatever i need. So far i dont regret going all electric

Just reminded me of the clothes dryer. Fuck electric dryers too.
No NG out near me, got a yard tank.

Got a quote for tubing today. 1.75” .120 wall ERW. $188.78 for a 20’ piece. Fuggin ERW at $9/ft!

With flex lines anyone can do it. Gas works out to thousands cheaper per appliance over the life of the appliance. Although a friend has a induction stove top its interesting, ideal for young kids and easy to clean.

Before Hurricane Ike, my neighbors bragged about the instant on hot water heaters they had purchased , w during the power outage of 3 weeks after Ike's remnants blew through here , I bragged about having a hot water shower every night with my NG hot water heater :smokin:

I’m entertaining off grid solar for the more passive things. The high demand stuff like furnace lights might as well stay on grid. But freezers that are already frozen don’t have a big draw demand. I’ve got a back up generator to keep things frozen in the event of a long term outage but think solar would be a safer bet.
This. I can do solar in the summer fairly easily. And have more than enough high flow creeks about 9-10 months a year. So in theory I could do all but he HUGE items with solar and water. And I think with a proper battery bank I could be off grid so to speak for my small house withbjust a little bit of planning.

We are looking at property in east TN (Smokies) with or without a house. We are getting our house ready to sell but I would guess we are at least 2 months out and depending on what we find may sell soon or it could be a year out.
We are also considering selling our truck and buying a cheaper one to cash out some equity(pay off other debt) and either get a lower note or pay cash for something.
The price of everything is going up correct? Do people quit buying though?
The way I see it the best move would be to lock some property in asap, with house or without? I would do a lot of the work building a barndominium vs buying a cheapish house.
Or do you sit tight if you're in decent shape and wait for things to turn around? I am concerned our timing is going to suck.

We are looking at property in east TN (Smokies) with or without a house. We are getting our house ready to sell but I would guess we are at least 2 months out and depending on what we find may sell soon or it could be a year out.
We are also considering selling our truck and buying a cheaper one to cash out some equity(pay off other debt) and either get a lower note or pay cash for something.
The price of everything is going up correct? Do people quit buying though?
The way I see it the best move would be to lock some property in asap, with house or without? I would do a lot of the work building a barndominium vs buying a cheapish house.
Or do you sit tight if you're in decent shape and wait for things to turn around? I am concerned our timing is going to suck.
I'm not buying anything right now. I'm hoping used truck prices come down from the stratosphere in 2022 or 2023.

I keep seeing news articles saying 6.5% inflation and the like.. What metrics are used to calculate that? Everything I buy has increased a helluva lot more than 6-7%. Gas is up 50%+, NG to heat the house is up like 20%, groceries are up 10% or more.

Maybe not in your area, but they have around where I live.

Not really . The dollar has deflated. It can’t buy as much as it used to.

That’s why everything is more expensive.

I keep seeing news articles saying 6.5% inflation and the like.. What metrics are used to calculate that? Everything I buy has increased a helluva lot more than 6-7%. Gas is up 50%+, NG to heat the house is up like 20%, groceries are up 10% or more.
Iirc, there’s a list of items they use to calculate inflation… abs it excludes a bunch of stuff to make the numbers look better

Maybe not in your area, but they have around where I live.
You are aware he presented his idea over the span of 3 sentences, right?

You are certainly right the the number of fiat fun bucks required to purchase a used truck has gone up. But the reason behind that, the deeper problem that it doesn't seem you are seeing, is the reason it takes more fiat fun bucks to buy a used truck is because those fiat fun bucks are worth less and less in purchasing power. Why?
Well, faith in the dollar is dwindling. People see our monetary system being abused by the very people that should be safeguarding it.
A dollar means fuck all of nothing now. All it is, is a ticket for a bread line 2 years from now.

6.9% is the currency devaluation since 2020 which is fucking insane in and of itself. 15% over the last 5 years.
How many people are making 7% more than last year or 15% more than they were 5 years ago?

6.9% is the currency devaluation since 2020 which is fucking insane in and of itself. 15% over the last 5 years.
How many people are making 7% more than last year or 15% more than they were 5 years ago?
Luckily I am to your second statement.

But only for a month or two longer.

Thanks, Biden! :flipoff2:

Luckily I am to your second statement.

But only for a month or two longer.

Thanks, Biden! :flipoff2:
I'm sure some people are, especially people just a few years into a career, but the average person certainly isn't and very few people are getting 7% cost of living raises annually. No one is getting 7% interest rates on savings accounts either.

Top Back Refresh