What's new

How hard is inflation going to hit, or has hit?

You pay 3% for your 1% rewards. :flipoff2:
Why does he pay 3 percent? Serious question. I have rewards on my visa I use for my business. I’ve never paid a dime of interest on it. I spend thousands a year on it. Am I missing something that’s hidden somewhere? I’ve got a lot of cool shit with the rewards for free.

Why does he pay 3 percent? Serious question. I have rewards on my visa I use for my business. I’ve never paid a dime of interest on it. I spend thousands a year on it. Am I missing something that’s hidden somewhere? I’ve got a lot of cool shit with the rewards for free.
Every merchant has to pay a the cc company a fee usually around %3 of the total and 10c per transaction. You pay more for the product because the merchants aren't eating that cost.

They make fucktons of money on this, then charge you interest on the other side. Fucking hell of a scam it is.

the seller has to cover the 2-5% cost of using a cc.... so you're technically paying more for the product...

EDIT: too slow

Every merchant has to pay a the cc company a fee usually around %3 of the total and 10c per transaction. You pay more for the product because the merchants aren't eating that cost.

They make fucktons of money on this, then charge you interest on the other side. Fucking hell of a scam it is.
Ok, never considered that. Thanks for educating me.

It's because he doesn't know what a ponzi scheme is.

People are retarded, I can't believe anyone would argue in favor of a pension plan in 2024. I want to mismanage my retirement funds, not someone in a cubicle mismanage it for me!!:laughing:
"Defined Benefit" = management isn't an issue, the payments are defined.

My legacy .mil retirement is mine; I get a defined benefit per month, and it is adjusted annually for inflation. My personal TSP on the side is mine to manage.

"Defined Benefit" = management isn't an issue, the payments are defined.
The fuck are you smoking? They gotta manage that shit to make enough money to pay out obligations.

.mil shit is a little different because they can just steal from us to pay for you but traditional pension funds have to be managed to some extent.

fully agreed
if they don't offer a cash discount, you are money ahead using the card. no interest is paid if it is paid off every month.
yep. cash discount is great, but I might see it a couple times a year nowadays

The only pension I've got coming my way has no cola, no increase period, it's value was fixed when I started accruing it when I was 26 or whatever. I knew inflation would make it worthless. I don't rely on it, or own any 401k or stock, I'm into real estate, equipment and metals. I have ZERO faith in the usd 5 years out

I think that inflation isn't going anywhere. It's slowed down with the high interest rates, but it will go back up when interest rates drop and when the election is over.

Also, the stock market went from being a tool to help farmers to a giant ponzi scheme based on the back of inflation.

Last edited:
You look like Newman

6938.jpg

I think that inflation isn't going anywhere. It's slowed down with the high interest rates, but it will go back up when interest rates drop and when the election is over.

Also, the stock market went from being a tool to help farmers to a giant ponzi scheme based on the back of inflation.
It's also completely replaced traditional investment options. Savings accounts, CDs, etc are all pretty fucking worthless these days. Have a 401K? Oops, that's also tied to the giant ponzi scheme. So now the only real way for average people to invest their money is to gamble with it on a literal ponzi scheme and hope they're not on the shit end of it.

You look like Newman

200.gif

It's also completely replaced traditional investment options. Savings accounts, CDs, etc are all pretty fucking worthless these days. Have a 401K? Oops, that's also tied to the giant ponzi scheme. So now the only real way for average people to invest their money is to gamble with it on a literal ponzi scheme and hope they're not on the shit end of it.

Agreed. But it's also a tool the big finance bros use to spy on your trades to average out their algorithms.

How is a 401k a Ponzi scheme?

Other than being valued in a currency that's constantly being devalued...

Personally I'd rather pay the tax now knowing the tax rate and use a ROTH IRA than a 401K not having any idea what the tax rate will be upon retirement.

Personally I'd rather pay the tax now knowing the tax rate and use a ROTH IRA than a 401K not having any idea what the tax rate will be upon retirement.
sure, but Roth's also have limits....

dunno man, doesn't debt servicing make for a lot of inflation when rates are high?
kinda a 'screwed either way' clownshow
Or real estate speculation, but that's driven by the same printers' whims.

if you're putting away a bunch that pays dividends or whatever that's the way to do it too, since you'll probably be in a higher tax bracket later in life from that passive income

Of course it's not, the stated goal is 2% a year of inflation for a "healthy economy". Source - the feds ass.

No idea how somethings value declining every year is healthy.

So doesn't 401K's. And if you're married, you can both max the Roth. I'd rather pay the tax now and none later.
Agree. I do both, plus in-plan conversions, plus stuff outside, etc.

Just pointing out that there's not 1 perfect solution.

Of course it's not, the stated goal is 2% a year of inflation for a "healthy economy. Source - the feds ass.
I'm not talking about the "normal" 2%. I'm talking about the 6-10% year over year.

dunno man, doesn't debt servicing make for a lot of inflation when rates are high?
kinda a 'screwed either way' clownshow
Yes. They are squeezing everyone for every penny they can. Once interest rates have come down, companies will raise prices to meet demand.

I do love Christians who believe the Bible, but not the inconvenient parts, like not changing interest.

I didn't say it is a Ponzi scheme, I just said it's tied to one in that they're generally tied to the stock market.

I do love Christians who believe the Bible, but not the inconvenient parts, like not changing interest.
it's funny how interest rates are naturally set by a society's time preference and any attempts to subvert the natural laws of economics are predictably met with failure

this one I just posted elsewhere really tells the tale:
1724798431329.png

the economic 'social planners' never seem to understand why they've failed right from the outset
think it might have something to do with thinking human action is fixed rather than being flexible to the circumstances
which is kind of silly since they're humans that are ostensibly planning and therefore their actions are....

Dunno man, preaching to the choir is easy but trying to explain it in a way they'll understand without being sidetracked by so much programming.

Falls right back to 'progress for whom'

I think it's a nice scam for big business in general. The top 20 employers collaborate and say that they are going to move retirement obligations from pensions, to this new and improved system where they each sprinkle a little money from each check into the stock market on behalf of the employees.

That money gets invested back into the employers stock. Maybe it's not directed back into their exact company, but if the top 20 companies are participating and spreading it amongst the top 20 companies.....

It's a scam, pay me my fucking money today and let me invest it.

I've had coworkers that had enough in their 401k to pay off their house, at a similar intestate rate as the return. Probably paying pmi. I can't wrap my head around it.

Agree. I do both, plus in-plan conversions, plus stuff outside, etc.

Just pointing out that there's not 1 perfect solution.
yep, I mix both with teh fear of future tax brackets, but also knowing I'm making more now than I can see myself spending a year in retirement.

Just maxxed out 401k contributions and I'm now back-dooring roth contributions for the rest of the year. Wife would have been in the same boat but is out on maternity. We don't spend a ton. I plan to "retire" in my mid 50's and am on a good path to make that happen, even with 2 kids in the fold now, because of the compound interest and returns on the $$ i put in over the last 10yrs

I think it's a nice scam for big business in general. The top 20 employers collaborate and say that they are going to move retirement obligations from pensions, to this new and improved system where they each sprinkle a little money from each check into the stock market on behalf of the employees.

That money gets invested back into the employers stock. Maybe it's not directed back into their exact company, but if the top 20 companies are participating and spreading it amongst the top 20 companies.....

It's a scam, pay me my fucking money today and let me invest it.
That's not how most 401(k) plans work, you are thinking of an ESOP.

Mine is in a targeted fund, by my choice. I can move it the way I see fit, btu the target fund gradually moves from riskier (high yield) to conservative (low yield) investments each year I get closer to retirement, thus lowering my exposure when I cannot afford to lose it. In addition, I get a matching contribution from my employer the first couple percent (worth an additional $2,375/year on top of my income and my contributions of about $4,750, turning it into $7,125 invested per year). I don't have to invest too much into it due to my .mil retirement and VA disability compensation, but its a nice extra.

Top Back Refresh