What's new

Home defense shotguns, what kind of “extras” do you run if any?

smurfblue40

Baconologyst
Member Number
Loc
Sloughhouse Ca
I put a Mossberg 590 in jail this evening. 6+1, 18.5 bbl :smokin:
I had a Winchester 1200 a few years ago, and sold it because I was a dumbass :homer:

It has been a while since I had a “Home defense shotgun”. I was thinking about adding a sidesaddle, and maybe Magpul furniture eventually (to add a light?)

A light is all you need. Side-saddle isn’t needed. If you can’t kill an intruder with 7 rounds of double 00 be sure to use the last one in the tube on yourself.

I keep a 18.5" 870 "tactical" around for similar purpose. It's got a Magpul SGA stock to get the LOP short enough for Jewels, a Amazon/Chinesium light holder strapped to the mag tube with a Surefire G2X, Wilson Combat jumbo safety, and UTG picatinny rail saddle with a Leupold Deltapoint on it.

There's more money in accessories than the original price of the 870. :homer:

Same here. 870 LE with 18.5" barrel and a collapse able stock. Ring and blade sight with a flashlight on the tube. Thinking of going to a vortex holo sight.

I put a Mossberg 590 in jail this evening. 6+1, 18.5 bbl :smokin:
I had a Winchester 1200 a few years ago, and sold it because I was a dumbass :homer:

It has been a while since I had a “Home defense shotgun”. I was thinking about adding a sidesaddle, and maybe Magpul furniture eventually (to add a light?)

590s are badass:grinpimp:​​​​​​

I have the El cheapo 500 that came with the 2 different barrels :laughing:

I was actually just looking at fore grips with lights and stream light males a badass one for a decent price but couldn't find one in stock. I didn't look to hard though, post up if you find them.

I have the El cheapo 500 that came with the 2 different barrels :laughing:

I was this > < close to buying that same gun right before the pandemic kicked off. I was in Big 5 three days before the shut down. A guy two people ahead of me bought the last one they had. As he walked past the line he commented that he hoped he’d be able to pick it up in ten days :homer:

I held out for the 590 because of all of the aftermarket stuff available for it :grinpimp:

How about the AK style shotguns, are they worth a shit? Specifically the saiga, Kalashnikov and vepr 12 gauges

I have all 3 and my "house" gun is a 590 with a big safety. Even a 5 round shotgun mag hangs off the receiver like 8", and forget a 10 rounder. Just too unwieldy for close quarters IMHO.

It's got a Magpul SGA stock to get the LOP short enough for Jewels

This is why I was leaning towards the Magpul furniture, I’ll have to see how the factory stock ergonomics work for Mrs once I get the 590 home

How about the AK style shotguns, are they worth a shit? Specifically the saiga, Kalashnikov and vepr 12 gauges

I have the Lynx 12 from SDS imports and it is an AK style 12. copy of the saiga. I have 2 10 round mags from csspecs. I have had no problems with it. Run close to 1000 rounds through it so far, mostly bird shot and some 000 buck.

Added an extended mag release.

There are tons of mods available for it. People are using them for 3 gun tournaments. You can add quad rails, folding stocks. Flash hidders, muzzle brakes.

I have been shopping muzzle brakes. That is the only complaint I have, the muzzle flair is a lot so it takes extra time to get back on the target. But you can accurately dump 10 rounds in 3 seconds. Just gets better with the proper muzzle brake.

Want to get a drum yet but I read anything over 20 rounds doesn't feed worth a crap. So I haven't picked one.

I understand flashlights on the quad rail but that is a catch 22 there. If you are pointing the gun to see, then are you pointing the gun at your kids? what if it fires accidently somehow? Or even if you point it at an innocent person and they decide to sue you or press charges? Then you lose your gun rights.
Obviously every scenario is different. If you live alone and the gun never leaves the house, then it is not a problem.

But if I was going to pull a Kyle Rittenhouse I would probably choose the Lynx over the AR.

This is why I was leaning towards the Magpul furniture, I’ll have to see how the factory stock ergonomics work for Mrs once I get the 590 home

She's petite, 5' 1-1/4" and with the SGA as short as it'll go, it fits her well. The extra thick butt pad helps with recoil too. Jewels went through a few boxes of 12Ga Fiocchi 00 Low Recoil, and wanted to keep shooting, it was getting too expensive, so I had to make her switch to bird shot. :laughing:

20170709164526-06092924-me.jpg

870 Tactical, Surefire light on the slide, oversized safety, magpul stock for reduced LOP, side saddle, and my favorite mod: Leupold Deltapoint Pro sight.

It's amazing how accurate you can be with this gun in all conditions and light with the deltapoint. Shooting low-light, there are a lot of times when it helps with far better precision as compared to shooting irons.

On the side saddle, I was originally inclined to not have it on there. Then I did some combat shooting courses. It adds very little size or weight, and it doesn't interfere with any movement or operations. What it does do is give you more ammo, which I can't complain about. One of the instructors was a gun collector who had a gun sale go bad, and it resulted in 4 armed guys showing up at his house intending to pull an armed robbery. The first gun he got to was a shotty, and he was wishing he had more ammo. I've never been in a situation where more ammo is bad.

Oh, and it has the "breaching" choke, for all of the hinges I need to shoot off.

Same here. 870 LE with 18.5" barrel and a collapse able stock. Ring and blade sight with a flashlight on the tube. Thinking of going to a vortex holo sight.

its your shotgun, you can do whatever you want, but i never understood the ghost ring sights or holo sights on a shotgun. ESPECIALLY for home defense. chances are the defense will be at night and will be point and shoot range inside of 15 feet.

one fiberoptic front bead and call it good.

Texas97 What's not to get? Shot goes where the red dot is. Leupold Deltapoint has an auto-on, or shake awake, or whatever the marketing term is, so by the time it's shouldered it's on. Jewels has trained with it, and even commented, unsolicited, how much better she likes, and how much easier it is to get on target with the red dot over the 870 Tactical's larger bead. I'm sure if she trained with the bead she could get there, but I don't think I could convince her to go backwards, nor do I want to.

I'm much more comfortable with her confidence and ability to get on target with the Deltapoint than with out it, she is too. Plus I'm quicker with it too, and I shot sporting clays competitively in jr. high & high school, so while that was a long time ago, and I'm no where near as spry as I used to be, I have a lot of shot gun experience. The Deltapoint has made me a big reflex sight fan.

Light with a strobe, and pistol grips. No stock. 18.5"

YOu dOnT aIm sHotGunS, yOU PoInT ThEm!

Preach it, brother!!

I just scored a Remington Versa Max 12 gauhe in a trade. Havent shot it yet but feels real nice in the hands.

everyone i know that has a versamax says it devours all ammo, no matter what. i just have an aversion to most anything Remington made in the last 40 years, its tough to get over. but report back on how it shoots and what you think of it.

This was my first time shooting a shotgun, about 15 years ago:

Click image for larger version Name:	2mxoh8i.jpg Views:	0 Size:	27.2 KB ID:	194365

That was after about five or six rounds. Yes, I understand I wasn't doing it right at the time. But that's the bruising I can expect anywhere the rifle/shotgun is held on me. Hence, pistol grips.

4C36C73C-FE44-46AE-8553-6E24CC0E319B.jpeg
Accessories to get? Ammo bandolier belts loaded with OO works for me.

I bought a 870 with an 18 inch barrel with rifle sights back in the 80s added a choate extended magazine and that's it. I have thought about a bandoler like Landslides, just never have followed through, always seemed to easy to get it hung up on door knobs and such

its your shotgun, you can do whatever you want, but i never understood the ghost ring sights or holo sights on a shotgun. ESPECIALLY for home defense. chances are the defense will be at night and will be point and shoot range inside of 15 feet.

one fiberoptic front bead and call it good.

Its whats on my work gun and what Im used to. Just thinking of trying the holo sight.

Top Back Refresh