What's new

Home defense shotguns, what kind of “extras” do you run if any?

$200 Mossberg 500, Knox stock, cheapo light, Sightmark reflex sight.

Mossberg 2011 004.JPG

M500 persuader model 7+1. The only accessory is a sling. I have thoughts of a light, but it needs to be easily removed for 3gun. Congrats on the 590, they’re nice.

My 3 gun rig sits next to the bed. Benelli supernova with a 12 round mag. 8 buckshot, 4 slugs.

99% of the time, I'll be grabbing my xd or 320.

870 Tactical, Surefire light on the slide, oversized safety, magpul stock for reduced LOP, side saddle, and my favorite mod: Leupold Deltapoint Pro sight.

It's amazing how accurate you can be with this gun in all conditions and light with the deltapoint. Shooting low-light, there are a lot of times when it helps with far better precision as compared to shooting irons.

On the side saddle, I was originally inclined to not have it on there. Then I did some combat shooting courses. It adds very little size or weight, and it doesn't interfere with any movement or operations. What it does do is give you more ammo, which I can't complain about. One of the instructors was a gun collector who had a gun sale go bad, and it resulted in 4 armed guys showing up at his house intending to pull an armed robbery. The first gun he got to was a shotty, and he was wishing he had more ammo. I've never been in a situation where more ammo is bad.

Oh, and it has the "breaching" choke, for all of the hinges I need to shoot off.

Sounds like we have matching 870's. I have the Wilson jumbo safety and a Volquartzen extractor I need to install on of these days. This reminds me to just do it.

image_from_ios (2).jpg

No love for the Winchester 1300 Defender?
Had one years ago,was good for what it was.
Killed many,many birds in the rice fields.

Any reliable shotgun is good for home defense. They're an area weapon.

You need to have a red dot, and ghost ring sights as backup and a Trijicon RMR at 45 degrees for extra backup sights. Because you need to be precise within your 5 feet wide hallway.

Oh, also, need a mag tube extension that goes out past the muzzle.

You need to have a red dot, and ghost ring sights as backup and a Trijicon RMR at 45 degrees for extra backup sights. Because you need to be precise within your 5 feet wide hallway.

Oh, also, need a mag tube extension that goes out past the muzzle.

You forget the laser flashlight, tatcical shell holders everywhere and the match saver by the ejection port.
Tube speed loaders are optional though.

www.thefirearmblog.com_blog_wp_content_uploads_2013_01_jerry_miculek_press_release_image_tm_tfb.jpg

So do you guys stage different guns for different areas of the house too? :flipoff2:

My HD shotgun has a light. That is essentially my "laser" pointer.

Flick that bish and start beatboxing "OOMP-TSSS AHH-TSS OOMP-TSS AHH-TSS!" :laughing:

Jerry can do ANY DAMN THING HE WANTS TO!!

but i promise he needs no sights on a shotgun in his home.

You watched him run the speedloaders? He is stupid fast with his shotgun. Then again he is stupid fast with all his guns.:grinpimp:

I have a Stevens Model 320 w/ 18.5" bbl that I bought as a charity deal from my nephew when he got his first domestic and had to get rid of his guns. I didn't want it, but he was in a bind so I bought it and chucked it into the safe with a few others I bought from him. It looks and feels cheap and shitty, but it seems to work. I kept with the cheap and shitty motif by installing one of those free harbour freight flashlights on it using an old picatinny scope mount that I cut up. It lives beside my bed now. Funny thing is I have 2 870s and an 11-87, but they all have long barrels on them.

I have a Stevens Model 320 w/ 18.5" bbl that I bought as a charity deal from my nephew when he got his first domestic and had to get rid of his guns. I didn't want it, but he was in a bind so I bought it and chucked it into the safe with a few others I bought from him. It looks and feels cheap and shitty, but it seems to work. I kept with the cheap and shitty motif by installing one of those free harbour freight flashlights on it using an old picatinny scope mount that I cut up. It lives beside my bed now. Funny thing is I have 2 870s and an 11-87, but they all have long barrels on them.

First domestic? Sounds like a nice guy. :laughing:

How do you have your remote switch mounted ?

I dremeled a slot in the forend on mine and used VHB tape to stick it in there so it sat flushish and had a nice flat surface to stick to. kind of permanent, but has never failed in the decade+ I've owned it.

I converted my Surefire Scout on my 870 to LED.. best $10 I spent. IIRC its a 600 lumen LED replacement. Way better than what came in it.

Top Back Refresh