What's new

HDT Picture thread

I wonder how well a master cylinder in the tongue style like most boat trailers have would work?

Surge brakes (what you're talking about) suck imo. It's a non-electronic solution to the problem, but they have their own limitations that make them undesirable.

Like backing uphill... or when they get overheated descending a grade with the jake.
Or when you want to mash the brake controller to pull the trailer back straight (not that most trailers are likely to be heavy enough to cause a HDT to have problems controlling their sway, but still)...

Aaron Z

Aye, we had to repair rooster booster's toy hauler after 3200 miles behind his air ride <T>.

If you look around it's a common complaint from people using HDT's to haul big campers, so there are air ride hitches now.
I just got a torsion hitch in Albuquerque after starting to see some issues with the nose of my camper. I hope it works well. It’s what I found in stock. 12 hours away from home on a trip you have to take what you can get

E143C2ED-1ED8-43BF-A502-A3C5C979FB1B.jpeg

I think i have posted our pete in here but is a 400bc and its pretty quiet in the cab, need to redo the door seals and it will be better. It also has 54 donaldson mufflers. When i built the roll back a couple years ago i made a custom dock lift and stinger for the hitch. It uses 2- 7" truck spring bags to help the trailer

A couple of build pics and 1 from the airshow.
I assume the 'dock lift' is using them hydraulics to pick up the back of the truck to get it up to standard dock height?

The cushion hitch is pretty cool, sliding on the plastic strips, prolly pick up the trailer with the hydraulics and airbags too, lol. no need to crank landing gear

I assume the 'dock lift' is using them hydraulics to pick up the back of the truck to get it up to standard dock height?

The cushion hitch is pretty cool, sliding on the plastic strips, prolly pick up the trailer with the hydraulics and airbags too, lol. no need to crank landing gear

Yes on the dock lift. If u chain the axle u can lift it to change a tire, no sketchy jack and its good to level the rig at the camp ground.

Between the the truck rear suspension dump, trailer bag dump and hydo dock it will sit on the ground to pick anything up. Makes removing a heavy trailer real easy.

How do you guys get insurance for these things as a private individual? I had a hard time getting my f-super duty (old f450) insured as a non commercial vehicle. I would love a singled out, short wheelbase truck to pull my stuff around

How do you guys get insurance for these things as a private individual? I had a hard time getting my f-super duty (old f450) insured as a non commercial vehicle. I would love a singled out, short wheelbase truck to pull my stuff around
Mine is insured through State Farm. It is a “commercial” policy since they recognize the truck as a commercial vehicle. I think I’m around $70 month for full coverage, $250 deductibles, and $0 glass.

ETA, I think it’s the same designation as above. Personal use commercial.

Mine is insured through State Farm. It is a “commercial” policy since they recognize the truck as a commercial vehicle. I think I’m around $70 month for full coverage, $250 deductibles, and $0 glass.

ETA, I think it’s the same designation as above. Personal use commercial.

Similar situation here. My f550 has a commercial policy not because of how I use it, but because of how their system works.

Finally remembered to bring this in here. '23 KW T880. Got it with 608 miles on the clock, @17,xxx as of today. Cummins X15 with a 12 speed auto Eaton paired to it. Does not have any sound proofing on the hood so at highway speed the sound cuts right into my anxiety riddled brain.

Truck with trailer (custom).jpg

at least they're visually different

kinda like how I like seeing cabovers out and about, just because they're one in a hundred

My little setup I put together a little over a year ago. My 90 peterbilt 379 big cam cummins with 13 speed.

Whats the axle weights on that set up? Did u swap the big cam in as i thought they were all n14s after '87.

Very cool set up.

For you HDT owners, if you don’t mind me asking, what did you pay for your class 8 rig?

I heard you used to be able to find semis for 7-8k with a million miles on them. I’m sure those days are over since covid and probably a demand for pre def rigs.

Where do you find them also? Marketplace? Craigslist? Or is there some semi trader site you use.

Whats the axle weights on that set up? Did u swap the big cam in as i thought they were all n14s after '87.

Very cool set up.
Back then you had lots of different options its the original eng. When I bought the truck I went and got the build sheet on it. Sitting at 20000 on the drivers and 12000 on my steers.

That spunds about right. I sit at 27k, 10.5 f and 16.5 rear empty. Our sleeper is heavy.

At 13.8 tall i would be ducking under some east coast bridges :). When we had a box in the truck it was that high and it worried us. Anyways good to see another Pete hauler.

Grabing my new to me work truck.

20220921_171207.jpg

Top Back Refresh