What's new

HDT Picture thread

What is an average price on something like that Volvo? Have driven grain trucks on the farm, can drive a stick shift obviously but never driven a HDT. How hard is it to learn with something like that? That makes way more sense to me than a pickup/dually with today's prices on them.

My only concern is my wife has a bad back and hips and might now be able to climb up in it very easy.
mine was around 30k. we then spent a little more adding to the bed since I needed it a little longer. super easy to drive since it's an auto

Easy as pumpkin pie.

Just a little bit different when shifting, the rpm falls about 400 to slide into the next gear.

Or more or less with a detroit diesel engine, from memory.

What is an average price on something like that Volvo? Have driven grain trucks on the farm, can drive a stick shift obviously but never driven a HDT. How hard is it to learn with something like that? That makes way more sense to me than a pickup/dually with today's prices on them.

My only concern is my wife has a bad back and hips and might now be able to climb up in it very easy.

If you look hard enough, and are willing to work on them, you can find them for a decent price. I picked up my 99 about 8 years ago with 1.1 mil miles on it. It had an in-frame around 750k. Was pulling my 30 GN with a 99 Ram CTD, but was needing to replace the transmission again. This one came up for sale through a divorce in the next town over. Picked it up for $10k. Since then, I have replaced a turbo, an airbag, all tires, the lower coolant pipe at the radiator, and changed the Super 10 transmission to a 13. Have had a couple electrical gremlins over the years, but most were grounding issues.
I don't drive mine a lot (mostly stays parked during the winter months), but I have put almost 90k miles on it.

I would rather drive a HDT across country, than most pickups or cars, avoid cabovers because they tend to be a little rougher.

Another 3 axle tractor I'm looking at buying.

ee3f03c5e06c495dcd17b2f41811ba485068.jpg
97c8bc1795eb656cca9161d115698fcc5068.jpg

Attachments

• 0ab6cd9ab7b8f54bfd4817312418aded5068.jpg
    0ab6cd9ab7b8f54bfd4817312418aded5068.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 14
Really? Not me rather a one ton I think.

Also the further back the axle is on a cab over the worse you feel bumps in the road. Lot of them don’t have flat floors and you’re basically either sitting in drivers seat, in the sleeper or climbing over the doghouse. Makes something like putting pants on a pain in the ass
my semi is way more comfortable and easier to drive long distances than my fully loaded duramax. the duramax was nicer inside and had more creature comforts, but the semi drives nice and I don't tire as easily. jmo though

Yeh i dont ever think i want to drive a pick up cross country again. We can do a 10-12hr stint easily, make food and sleep on a 2000mi fuel range.

Really? Not me rather a one ton I think.

Also the further back the axle is on a cab over the worse you feel bumps in the road. Lot of them don’t have flat floors and you’re basically either sitting in drivers seat, in the sleeper or climbing over the doghouse. Makes something like putting pants on a pain in the ass
I find a truck way less fatiguing. I don’t know why. Of course, it has been twenty five years since I was OTR, and have not really driven a semi since, but I cant help but think they have gotten better.

I find a truck way less fatiguing. I don’t know why. Of course, it has been twenty five years since I was OTR, and have not really driven a semi since, but I cant help but think they have gotten better.
Truck as in 1 Ton truck or truck as in semi?

my duramax was a 2016 and my semi is a 1999 and I find the semi far less fatiguing than the p/u for long distances

Reactions: PAE
For a quick across town I prefer my pickup. For interstate I like the big truck. Set cruise in high gear and get comfortable.

I scored it for 13.5, and put another 6k into it. It is badass, has a 4500lb liftgate, and APU with a 6500w genny, and heater for the main engine and cab.

I took it to KOH last year, and averaged 7.6mpg. Could have been better if I didn't rock out on fuel cut @75mph for 3 states.

I am looking to buy a house, so it may be up for sale soon.

It has motorhome on the license plate, title, and insurance. I figure it is no different than an old grey hair driving their 40' pusher without a CDL, or air brake endorsment. It has a fridge, freezer, microwave and two beds. I build a SXS rack in the back that fits 55 gallon drums underneath for water. I figure if I don't drive like an idiot, make sure my lights work, and use my blinkers I am gtg.

Wisconsinite that is exactly what I want. Do you have the box pass thru to the cab/sleeper? Can you take more pics!!!!!

And that seems like a killer deal you got.

I don't have a pass through yet. I haven't really done much to it besides maintenence.

11 gallons of oil
10 gallons of trans fluid
5 gallons in each diff

But the service interval on the trans and diffs are like 80k miles. So that should be gtg for a long while.

NzVcdhMw4sUqsnzqjKobHeiCg=w659-h1171-no?authuser=0.jpg

with the liftgate supporting midspan, I don't need MASSIVE ramps to load the rigs.
Tq5SAv7mJD6X4-AFZYXSxjVw=w2082-h1171-no?authuser=0.jpg

air ride on air ride on air ride = smooooooth
0PyHrVjGGXEWNC_BePBg-nvg=w2082-h1171-no?authuser=0.jpg

LO3ZnTtqbexLMhNKniqFxRLLg=w659-h1171-no?authuser=0.jpg

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=RklUb1RGZ3FXaGZCMjFJWXdRUjY4TUFtNmJRU0FB
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=RklUb1RGZ3FXaGZCMjFJWXdRUjY4TUFtNmJRU0FB

The best thing about the truck, it is registered as an RV/motorhome! No weigh stations, no CDL, no air brake endorsements, nothing.
When I bought my truck I changed the vehicle class so it is also titled as a motorhome now. I was also able to declare my GVWR. So legally it is a 26,000gvwr motorhome.

When I bought my truck I changed the vehicle class so it is also titled as a motorhome now. I was also able to declare my GVWR. So legally it is a 26,000gvwr motorhome.
Why did you choose 26000? Mine is rated at 80, and that's what was on the paperwork. I left it alone.

I scored it for 13.5, and put another 6k into it. It is badass, has a 4500lb liftgate, and APU with a 6500w genny, and heater for the main engine and cab.

I took it to KOH last year, and averaged 7.6mpg. Could have been better if I didn't rock out on fuel cut @75mph for 3 states.

I am looking to buy a house, so it may be up for sale soon.
With the way things are lookin in the housing market maybe I should just buy that thing. It'd be a ton cheaper than any house I'd enjoy living in for current market prices.:laughing:

Top Back Refresh