What's new

Going Solo - an X3 to race

E95617A3-FDC2-415E-B433-E5AE0ED2BDBE.jpeg
7EF13541-DAB4-46DD-99B8-EE1391949B28.jpeg
04B23BCB-6DC7-4023-80AE-1D9E36C670A2.jpeg
23F5CDBA-25F3-4E3C-8DCC-4D8CAAC7D176.jpeg
8E4C11CA-A4D6-4D3C-B504-D2C8AC7D24FD.jpeg
2CA7BBFD-CF38-4E4C-975F-02626FF68277.jpeg

So it has 6 3/8th fine thread bolts. It needs a 7th in the middle towards the front. It’s sagging over that span.

we were unsuccessful with cutting the 6065 with multiple jig saw blades so the angle grinder stepped in.

we used the factory edge where it will butt against the main skid. We will do the same for the main piece, so hopefully they line up nicely

I found a bag of these from building my last 4400. Ruffstuff 3/8th fine thread trick tabs! Forgot I had them.
Click image for larger version Name:	DC404611-A948-4846-8959-DB969C57841B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	213.6 KB ID:	221203
Click image for larger version Name:	DC404611-A948-4846-8959-DB969C57841B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	213.6 KB ID:	221203

Lining up the main skid to the back so I can outline it and cut it out.

using the factory edges we have a perfect seam.

Last edited:
The skid plate needs to be cut and rounded at the edges. I’m going to leave it as is till mock up.

Descriptions say 2.5" OD steel. Weigh that bag of bolt head protectors when you get them. They can't be any kind of light weight being steel.

They are not even 2” lol. I was expecting huge.
43D658E2-4F47-4BEE-A78E-4DC8C41F8190.jpeg
EB533763-7077-41E0-BAEB-AA92EAC741B6.jpeg
9D88719F-7B2B-49D6-98F6-F9CCDF22E1EC.jpeg
36A17856-2236-4514-80FA-F7862FC4D303.jpeg

Top is gone. Got an Amex text that my CC was charged big so I’m pretty sure the cage shipped

Last edited:
The irate mobile site changed and my pics look horrible.

Now that I have this here...

-it will get welded, not bolted on

-the rear bumper inserting into the frame is slick.

-the rear weight will make tuning interesting

​​​​​​- the custom radiator is awesome and the mounts are slick

-I’m changing to a quick release wheel

-I’m putting in a safecraft fire suppression system, maybe a big one on a 10lb tank with 4+ lines, see below

-I need to do yoga and lose 10lbs

- the window holes are the smallest I’ve seen. It will work, obviously, but it is not as fast as any car I’ve had. You gotta silly salmon to get out. I might be cutting them up and starting over. I’m going to wait until it’s mocked up to decide. With tree kickers it might be easy to slide in but as it sits with no step up or down, it’s a pain.

I have the scale here, I’ll attempt to hang this off the picker to get a chassis weight.

I received 4 emails in a row that CT RaceWorx shipped a ton of stuff yesterday. Upper and lower A arms in route. Waiting on trailing arms is all.

That cage is cool. Its probably the first bolt on SxS cage I've seen that actually looks like some thought was put into the design. Thats going to stiffen the chassis up quite nicely. :smokin:

I wouldn't worry about the getting in and out part just yet. My car is also a bitch to get in and out of when the nerf bars are not on it, but with them on its a breeze.

What are you thinking the total car weight will be when it's finished?

Edit: I just test posted a picture in my thread and nothing changed for me. I think your phone got the Rona or some shit. :laughing:

Last edited:
I need a wrecked or new donor 2020 X3 RR soon.

That cage is cool. Its probably the first bolt on SxS cage I've seen that actually looks like some thought was put into the design. Thats going to stiffen the chassis up quite nicely. :smokin:

I wouldn't worry about the getting in and out part just yet. My car is also a bitch to get in and out of when the nerf bars are not on it, but with them on its a breeze.

What are you thinking the total car weight will be when it's finished?

Edit: I just test posted a picture in my thread and nothing changed for me. I think your phone got the Rona or some shit. :laughing:

I have no clue about SxS weights, none. But I do know I am making it heavier by the day. I would guess this will be above average in weight because of the 2 piece chassis with the braced lower and the a arm/trailing arm combo from CT is very heavy. I am concerned about the amount of rear weight and will be putting everything I can in the front... fire suppression can, siren, pumper, radio, etc

I do like how the door bars grab the lower chassis cross bar and the rear upper radius rods in double sheer.

I cannot insert pics like I could. I am missing the button. Now I am adding them as clickable smaller pics. I think Auston hates me or something.

Doner vehicle is coming in the garage on Sat!

So the donor vehicle I decided on was my street legal ‘19. I was going to lose my toy and save a ton of money on buying one. Upgrade the heck out of it. I took a final ride and it was going in tomorrow AM to get yanked apart.

well my dumb ass saw a 2021 RR for sale over coffee on market place. A few messages later and I bought a new machine. Less than 40 miles, 2 rides. So apparently I’m using a new RR to stick in the chassis.

So the donor vehicle I decided on was my street legal ‘19. I was going to lose my toy and save a ton of money on buying one. Upgrade the heck out of it. I took a final ride and it was going in tomorrow AM to get yanked apart.

well my dumb ass saw a 2021 RR for sale over coffee on market place. A few messages later and I bought a new machine. Less than 40 miles, 2 rides. So apparently I’m using a new RR to stick in the chassis.

Can’t wait to see this :smokin:

I can’t imagine your going to end up to far away from 2000 total pounds ready to rock (without you in it)

Can’t wait to see this :smokin:

I can’t imagine your going to end up to far away from 2000 total pounds ready to rock (without you in it)

How much HP do you think I’ll need to push it on 32’s? This is a woods racer so acceleration to 10-40mph is more important than anything. Top end is useless.

How much HP do you think I’ll need to push it on 32’s? This is a woods racer so acceleration to 10-40mph is more important than anything. Top end is useless.

I think you chose the correct platform for that. The Canams have so much more HP to start with than anything else. I’d start out stock and see if it does what you need. Then if you feel like you need more a plug in tuner and some clutch work will probably get you where you want to be

I’d start out stock and see if it does what you need. Then if you feel like you need more a plug in tuner and some clutch work will probably get you where you want to be

This. .

I think the stock HP will be more than enough for what you are doing. Clutch tuning will be the key to getting the machine to do what you want in that MPH range.

Top Back Refresh