What's new

Going Solo - an X3 to race

Thanks boys.

Tried something new. Hung hammocks in the enclosed trailer wall to wall. Between the open header 90’s trucks, 4 wheelers, fireworks and the guy puking while taking breaks to down the bottles he’s still working on next to us it might be a rough night sleeping.

We normally grab a hotel 20 min from here. My 40yr old back is gonna make for a different morning. Plus the mouse that just ran up the wall next to me, didn’t know they lived in here!

At least I downloaded John wick 2. iPad stacked on tires and rags.

21AF95EB-F398-4602-A2EB-6DF0A3EF2B65.jpeg

I have never been so disappointed racing. Sat AM was, still is, far worse to handle than either KOH attempt, or any of the dozens of races that cost more and took more effort to get to.

I think I am in my prime of driving. I can control the adrenaline, last hours, read the terrain, save the car at high and low speeds, run through rocks, the trees on both sides at 60mph don't bother me.

9 mile course, 4 laps, 30 second interval start.

By mile 2 I had passed 3 cars. By mile 4 I passed 4. We had a podium pace and were most likely were leading on time or close.

We lost power after mile 4 with a 5th car to pass in site. Limp mode, temp was off the gauge high. I have a massive rear radiator, I can drive 20-40mph all day with no fan, it made no sense at all from the driver seat. I get out, all I could think about was losing all the time we gained. No leaks and no coolant coming out of the overflow. It was crazy confusing and over the years I have gotten fast at identifying issues and knowing if there was a fix to keep going. After a minute of running the fan with the car off, then turning it back on, the temp did not drop like it should have. I dont know how a can am water pump works, but it must have failed... so then I risk it and touch the radiator, it was air temperature cold.

I toss my fire suit over the radiator cap in confusion, and the cap spun off loosely in my hand. No water at all, empty, with no leaks.

Day over, way ahead of the pack, most likely in a podium position.

Someone maliciously or in a total bone head move, set the radiator cap on with out tightening it or loosened it in the night on us.

Only myself and the co-dog have touched the car. So either one of us pulled a below rookie move and checked the water level in prep and never spun the cap tight or it was screwed with at night. I can tell you it wasn't me and I highly doubt the guy who's prepped 4400's, SxS, 4wheelers,and super bike track racing vehicles did it, my co dog. The propane run YJ parked next to us all night was also messed with. Someone opened the tank at night to leak out his propane.

We will never know. Someone put a screw in my 4400 engine one time, cost me $15,000 for leaving a car out over night at the track and not locked in the trailer. So I just don't know but this is the hardest DNF I haver taken and was going to be my last race ever.

Fuuuuuck!

I'd probably kill someone if I found them messing with my car. :evil:

Any chance it popped a head gasket and blew the coolant out of the exhaust?

What's this last race ever shit? :confused:

Wow, that's some shit. I recommend doing a very thorough nut and bolt check to see if anything else is off. I get a little lax with checks thinking I know what the problem areas are. But if someone else touched it, you could have other issues.

:eek: Thats pretty fucked up, they got cameras where you stayed?

EDIT: nm .... you stayed in your rig .... time to put that thing back inside at night. You're gonna have to fab up a cot that rests on the front of the can-am for night time

Any chance it popped a head gasket and blew the coolant out of the exhaust?

No. We hiked, found a creek with a kids pink play bucket in it. so we hiked creek water back to the car and drove it back to the trailer.

Hey Poke..... There is a 12hr endurance race at Texplex in December you might be intrested in if you are not done with racing yet. My car will be torn apart by then for it's Pro class rebuild so I won't be racing, but if you decide to make the trip I'd be willing to crew for you.

Screenshot_20210920-193340_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Poke..... There is a 12hr endurance race at Texplex in December you might be intrested in if you are not done with racing yet. My car will be torn apart by then for it's Pro class rebuild so I won't be racing, but if you decide to make the trip I'd be willing to crew for you.

Screenshot_20210920-193340_Samsung Internet.jpg
I should have taken this offer.

Top Back Refresh