What's new

GLTHFJ60's Garage Chronicles

Where'd you find the individual door panels? I've managed to mangle the bottom panel (or two) on on of my shop doors with the forklift. :homer: I need to find a replacement and stick it up in the rafters so I can swap it before I sell.....but not before, because I know I'll fucking do it again.

Found it on stalkerbook marketplace or Craigslist, can't remember which. It was close to me and cheap, about 6 months ago.

Check with your local overhead door companies. Often they'll be replacing doors for people and you can get the old panels from them for cheap or free. Only issue is if you have a non-standard size door. Or you can buy a brand new panel from them.

Check with your local overhead door companies. Often they'll be replacing doors for people and you can get the old panels from them for cheap or free. Only issue is if you have a non-standard size door. Or you can buy a brand new panel from them.
Yep, we had a door at work that the installer dented a panel when they installed it, they came back to put a new panel on it a couple of weeks later.

Aaron Z

Nice work on raising the doors. Was there a specific reason, like needing bigger tires and still fitting into shop?

That lathe isn't that heavy, coulda moved it easy enough.

Nice work on raising the doors. Was there a specific reason, like needing bigger tires and still fitting into shop?

That lathe isn't that heavy, coulda moved it easy enough.

My wheeling rig already didn't fit through the door, so that's part of it. Other part was to get my gantry crane inside so I don't have to look at it outside my house anymore. Also, I want the garage doors higher to take advantage of the height gained via the rafter conversion last year.

Lots of progress this week. Got the second door hung and opener operational. Moved the lathe and mill apart to get my machine tools box inbetween them, which is much better.

PXL_20240103_193737049.jpg

PXL_20240103_220042020.jpg

PXL_20240103_220222118.jpg

Stripped the soffit and trim, then the rest of the siding and garbage fiber board sheathing. Got the front sheathed in 15/32 cat rated 4 ply plywood sheathing and got the gantry crane inside for the first time ever. Felt damn good.

PXL_20240104_184340634.jpg

PXL_20240104_190100861.jpg

PXL_20240104_222003501.jpg

PXL_20240104_223120661.jpg

Last edited:
OCD in me says you should have put the new panels on the bottom of the doors to keep the windows in a similar location to top of door as previous.

Great work, though.
Agree, and thanks. Turns out the door I bought isn't an "exact" match, so I had to hammer-form the mating edge of the new panels to match the existing. I felt it would look worse to have it in the middle.

Some day I will get new doors that perfectly match bottom to top. I'll get some pics of what I had to change with the new door panels to get them to work. Setting the doors and tracks up took longer than doing the framing, lol

Final update for the week. Got the ply wrapped and taped, soffit installed, a few trim pieces installed and the gutter back in place. Good enough for tomorrow's rain.

Door trim, seals and siding to polish off the outside. Then inside fun can start.

PXL_20240105_203907928.jpg

PXL_20240105_203859634.jpg

Looks kinda like a 5-head to me, lol.

OCD in me says you should have put the new panels on the bottom of the doors to keep the windows in a similar location to top of door as previous.
And to make it harder to look through the window and see if there is anything worth stealing inside.
Great work, though.
Ditto.

Aaron Z

After getting the wrap up, the trim started and being distracted by Pablo for a bit, focus shifted to the garage interior.

Jackshaft door opener:

PXL_20240112_214438645.MP.jpg

PXL_20240112_214503417.jpg

Big workbench is now too big so I designed a fixture table and started cutting it out. Gantry crane and mag lifter makes it super, super easy to move heavy plate around.

PXL_20240114_213523568.jpg

Fuckin ran out of plate before I could finish, so I shifted to cleaning and organizing. Took down some shelves, cleaned and organized others, culled a ton of metal for scrap that I was "saving for some day". My car now fits in again, so I'll get some plate to finish the table and then get going on the exterior trim.

PXL_20240115_210902278.MP.jpg
PXL_20240115_210908483.jpg
PXL_20240115_210914389.jpg
PXL_20240115_210920433.jpg

Trim and detail work makes for boring pictures, but I did buy this today. We'll see how thick the floor is then make the next step.

PXL_20240210_222635945.jpg

Also, cedar siding is fucking expensive. This is nearly $300 worth, 11 damn 8' boards.

PXL_20240209_201907209.MP.jpg

Trim and detail work makes for boring pictures, but I did buy this today. We'll see how thick the floor is then make the next step.

Also, cedar siding is fucking expensive. This is nearly $300 worth, 11 damn 8' boards.

Cool addition!

Meant to ask, what’s the specs on the lift and what’s the plans for the cedar?
It's a universalift 3. Not made anymore but basically the same as this:

Neighbor of mine sold it to me for $2k. It'll work well for me in this space.

The cedar is siding for the garage. I tried to save the original cedar that came off but it was too brittle.

Trim is up and painted, just have to get the siding on now.

PXL_20240208_231609851.jpg

Way much cheaper to get your cedar from the bush.
There must be an old man near you with a sawmill?

It's a universalift 3. Not made anymore but basically the same as this:

Neighbor of mine sold it to me for $2k. It'll work well for me in this space.

The cedar is siding for the garage. I tried to save the original cedar that came off but it was too brittle.

Trim is up and painted, just have to get the siding on now.

PXL_20240208_231609851.jpg
That’s awesome on the lift and makes sense on the cedar.

Way much cheaper to get your cedar from the bush.
There must be an old man near you with a sawmill?
You can't really find clear white cedar here. Most siding, dimensional and T&G people use is western. What we have here I believe is eastern has a lot of red/white variations and random figure. It looks awesome for furniture or when you're going for that look, but doesn't work well for siding and whatnot and places where you want it clean and clear.

This is the last log I did on my mill.
1707759777127.png

You can't really find clear white cedar here. Most siding, dimensional and T&G people use is western. What we have here I believe is eastern has a lot of red/white variations and random figure. It looks awesome for furniture or when you're going for that look, but doesn't work well for siding and whatnot and places where you want it clean and clear.

1707759777127.png
Interesting. There's lots of it around here. This stuff is dry now and soon to be my sauna door.

I always thought the red stuff was the more desirable.

You guys get all the nice hardwoods though. All we've got is white birch and poplar (trembling aspen?).

Sorry for the hijack gilthfj60

P2272034.JPG

You run across any of the deep purple ones yet?

You run across any of the deep purple ones yet?

Negative. I have some smaller ones on my property that have it, but haven't milled any big enough yet. Those pics above area actually the only cedar I've done and they were for a "customer" that's making whiskey shelves out of them.

I have my eyeballs on a couple big logs that have been on the ground since they cleared a lot down the street about a year ago....just need to catch the new owner outside and see if they'll let me take them.

I have a handful on my property that I could cut down, but I'm trying to avoid harvesting my own trees.

Interesting. There's lots of it around here. This stuff is dry now and soon to be my sauna door.

I always thought the red stuff was the more desirable.

You guys get all the nice hardwoods though. All we've got is white birch and poplar (trembling aspen?).

Sorry for the hijack gilthfj60

P2272034.JPG
That must be western red. Ours have done of little limbs and shready bark.

They look like bushes until they get really big and the lower branches eventually get too heavy and start breaking off.

1707784853793.png

Bark kind of peels off in shreds
1707784919099.png

Reorganized again for the lift. I like this much better than the last layout. Optimizing all over the place.

Looks like this is where the columns will land. Should start drilling tomorrow, and I'll find out how thick the slab is.

PXL_20240213_214200954.jpg

Reorganized again for the lift. I like this much better than the last layout. Optimizing all over the place.

Looks like this is where the columns will land. Should start drilling tomorrow, and I'll find out how thick the slab is.

PXL_20240213_214200954.jpg
Awesome! Can’t wait to see how that lift works out for you and Moonshine.

Located one column in place on the wall side, as close to the wall as I think is usable and safe. Drilled a couple of 3/8" holes in the pad and i got to about 3" before the bottom blew out into the dirt. Time to research how large the caissons need to be to get this lift stood up, and decide if I should use wet anchors, or wait for the new mud to cure enough to use the wedge anchors I bought.

1707936364380.png

1707936384547.png

Last edited:
Mohawk has by far the most overkill requirements. I would not go to all that work for a 7k lift. for a 20k lift, yes, but not a 7. It is definitely the most cost, work and time.

3" of concrete is likely fine and no nuns will be killed under your rig. Perhaps unless you are a nun. Most floors are 3.5, and support lifts just fine.

I would drill and bolt that bitch down. If you have failing anchors due to blowout and/or some shallower holes then stop and reconsider options.

I used wedge anchors. They come loose and need to be torqued every year or so. I would do epoxy next time.
Maybe blow some of the dirt out and use extra epoxy in void.

Top Back Refresh