What's new

Full time wheeling & Travel

Where y’all headed next?

I am wrapping up the last 2 weeks of being in Cortez, CO. I did some good wheeling with Rob Manders, who also has a YouTube channel, Wheelin Out West.
We had a good time wheeling some trails that seem to have been forgotten about. Hoping more people will go and start wheeling them more after we get some videos out.
There’s open area where if you think you can climb it then have at it. Plenty to entertain the rear steer guys and anything else. I was blown away such good wheeling isn’t talked about more and better known.

Mud Springs BLM area.
Right outside Cortez, close to town and everything.

I will leave here Saturday and head to La Veta, CO and I found and epic trail on OnX I want to run while there. Gonna surprise the family with that adventure.

TaltonOffRoad I have really enjoyed the collaboration you have done with Jess and Bronson. Good to see you're still keeping the dream alive :beer: I can help get you in touch with some NM buggy guys if you end up making your way down here.

EDIT: I just watched your video with the XJ rolling on the Chute and thought you might hit up Pyleit for some wheeling. He seems to be pretty down to wheel with visitors and came across as a really cool guy the couple of minutes I spent talking with him on the trail at Trail Hero.

I’m glad you’ve enjoyed it. It won’t be the last you see of us together. We have become amazing family friends. He has poured so much wisdom and positive energy into me to encourage me to really give YouTube a shot and my best efforts. Ive come a long ways in a short amount of time because of his help and friendship.

The crazy thing is, all of his videos with me in then have bombed out 🤣.

I keep telling him we are ruining his channel lol.

In all seriousness, they are good people and our families clicked immediately!

I am wrapping up the last 2 weeks of being in Cortez, CO. I did some good wheeling with Rob Manders, who also has a YouTube channel, Wheelin Out West.
We had a good time wheeling some trails that seem to have been forgotten about. Hoping more people will go and start wheeling them more after we get some videos out.
There’s open area where if you think you can climb it then have at it. Plenty to entertain the rear steer guys and anything else. I was blown away such good wheeling isn’t talked about more and better known.

Mud Springs BLM area.

I will leave here Saturday and head to La Veta, CO and I found and epic trail on OnX I want to run while there. Gonna surprise the family with that adventure.

Nice, I watch Rob's Youtube channel a bit too. I've never heard of Mud Springs and I've been through Cortez many times. I'll have to do some research :beer:

EDIT: Not a buggy trail, but Blanca would be a good one to hit on your way to La Veta.

Mud Springs BLM area.

Very cool all around! Hopefully you visited Jimmy's4x4 while in Cortez.

Mud Springs BLM area.

my place is the east side of the east spanish peak. the old trail that leads up to the top side of the west spanish peak is blocked off. i did it years ago in my duramax. i would not ever recommend anyone to do it in a full size truck. it goes in just across from lovers leap. still a nice trail to run, just blocked off before you get to the rock valley. seems it is called wahatoya trail head now a days.
whiskey pass is a nice ride, nothing tough but nice country. i have hit blanca peak 3 times before i made it to the lake. slashed tires the previous two times, it is a good trail and a great way to spend a day.

I just saw the Blanca video, the wife didn't seem to enjoy the obstacles on the edge of a shelf road very much :laughing:

Yeah she was not a fan! I might have downplayed the trail to her a bit. That trail wasn't hard by any means, but that is the sketchiest trail I've ever done. There was just so much exposure several times, with no spare width. The consequences are deadly for sure.

Well I wish I was here for an epic update.
But I broke down in Arkansas, currently crashing in a rest stop off 40.

I left Rugged Mountain Ranch in Oklahoma this morning after another epic weekend of wheeling.
Truck was absolutely fine, been pulling great. It just all of a sudden jolted and lots of smoke, loss of power and missing/stumbling. I limped to an exit and I took the oil cap off and it has a ton of blow by. And the truck smokes and stumbles bad at idle.

I really hope I have just lost an injector, as I recently ran the truck out of fuel. Which is the second time. Cause I’m an idiot.

But, since it’s a Sunday nothing has been open. Facebook off road community has been very helpful and supportive.

We are blessed however that we happened to have plenty of generator fuel, empty tanks with a full water tank and plenty of food! We are off the highway and feel safe for the night. Tomorrow I begin the logistics of getting the truck to a shop, the buggy put somewhere and the camper moved to a campground 30 minutes away.

We are in great spirits despite all this and just going to figure it out. It’s been an epic journey despite my lack of effort to update here on this platform. It takes a lot of time to keep up with social media stuff I’ve been trying to maintain but still just love and enjoy it. It turns out that I do enjoy sharing on the YouTube side of things. It’s been very fun and challenging, and takes far more discipline than I thought. So I have found joy in growing my skills editing and building that community.
So if you do not follow along, consider checking it out on Facebook, IG and YouTube as I do update those regularly.

Regardless I will come back and update here for this scenario.

I am in Knoxville, Arkansas. If you have a large trailer and can haul my truck, or can hold my buggy for a spell, or move my camper for me, loan me a truck, bring me a Little Caesars pizza and a 12 pack, or ride by and ridicule me for entertainment, hit me up 🤙

IMG_3855.jpeg

Whew, man what a day! My head is spinning and I’m mentally and physically exhausted. After spending the night in the rest stop, and going non stop in some from since 7am this morning between the logistics and phone calls, considering all options, calling mechanics, by lunch time we had a plan.

A fellow wheeler that was tagged in a post on FB offered to help, among many other offers, and I caught a ride to a rental place an hour away. We rented a ford ranger for the wife and kids, the biggest Uhaul I could find transferred everything over. The same person I used for shipping my buggy from TX to NC was able to schedule my truck to be shipped back to NC and it was picked up today.
It’s missing bad and has oil coming out the exhaust. With the lead time with good shops, it just seemed best to get back to NC where I have 2 vehicles, a good network and can hang for a while as we sort this out.

Sucks, I was supposed be at Wide Open Design in the morning and interview with Adam, and then go look at 2 properties I am interested in further east in TN.
IMG_3876.png
IMG_3878.jpeg
IMG_3872.jpeg

Glad y'all got a plan a place to move everything around! Will be curious what the issue was with the big truck.

I believe it has a hole/cracked piston
Ouch! Need to go Garrett Ness style and move up to a full semi with a load deck. Those kodiaks are decent trucks, but its still medium duty in a heavy duty application. Semi stuff is more durable and generally cheaper to maintain since they share so much commonality between brands.
Screenshot_20231017_100114_Facebook.jpg

Ouch! Need to go Garrett Ness style and move up to a full semi with a load deck. Those kodiaks are decent trucks, but its still medium duty in a heavy duty application. Semi stuff is more durable and generally cheaper to maintain since they share so much commonality between brands.
Not to derail the thread but how many miles are on the Kodiak? I know the newer Kodiaks and Ford 550/650/750 they derate them compared to the light duty stuff to help get more mileage out of them. Idk if they did back in the early to mid 2000's

Not to derail the thread but how many miles are on the Kodiak? I know the newer Kodiaks and Ford 550/650/750 they derate them compared to the light duty stuff to help get more mileage out of them. Idk if they did back in the early to mid 2000's
650/750 got cummins or cats and usually an allison. Only the 450s/550s stayed with lighter duty drivetrains in those years.

We put in some good trouble free miles today. The dogs are even tired.
It’s been a long time since we’ve been this exhausted, mentally, physically and emotionally. We are crashing at a Cracker Barrel for the night then hit the last stretch in the morning!

Also, as I laid down this was what popped up on my phone. How appropriate, cause that’s exactly how I have felt about all of this. Even before I picked up my phone I was thinking how I blessed I am to be laying down in my own, familiar bed, like any other night. What a blessing.
IMG_3889.jpeg
IMG_3902.jpeg
IMG_3905.jpeg
IMG_3906.png

Last edited:
The truck has about 245k on it, but the motor had roughly 65-75k to my knowledge. Possibly more. According to Jasper, that engine was purchased in 2015. I was told it had 30k on it the swap when I bought it.

After driving this 2019 F650 Uhaul with a V10 and a 6 speed, my wheels are turning. This thing is quite impressive and is getting 6-7mpg while shaped like a billboard.
If I can find something like that but crew cab I’d be interested. The cab is nice, and way quieter. And the best part is it’s the same as all the superduty cabs. Only the front clip is different so all interior stuff from an upper trim truck will bolt in. So a plane jane work truck could be made very nice over time.

I will say, the V10 (in my opinion) is very underrated for personal use. You give up torque and some mpg which is probably why people steer away from them, but they are so overworked and don't seem to care. They are in tens of thousands of state work trucks since the gov seems to only buy gassers, they are in damn near every class c RV. My FIL had one that was hauling around 20k gross EVERY day, in his trouble truck for the Dept of water and power, he had over 200k on it. The thing would start early in the morning and wouldn't turn off until he got home. It had long idle hours and heavy weight for 200k miles. I think they just detune the crap out of them. The V10 has been used and abused for decades.

So now that I am done talking them up. My wife's RV/Bus thing has a V10, it only weighs 10-11k loaded. You downshift early on hills, let it rev to the moon, they sound like dog shit, sometimes slow down on hills and watch the gas gauge drop. Long term that might be annoying but she has the 4 speed, I am sure the 6 speed helps a lot.

I will say, the V10 (in my opinion) is very underrated for personal use. You give up torque and some mpg which is probably why people steer away from them, but they are so overworked and don't seem to care. They are in tens of thousands of state work trucks since the gov seems to only buy gassers, they are in damn near every class c RV. My FIL had one that was hauling around 20k gross EVERY day, in his trouble truck for the Dept of water and power, he had over 200k on it. The thing would start early in the morning and wouldn't turn off until he got home. It had long idle hours and heavy weight for 200k miles. I think they just detune the crap out of them. The V10 has been used and abused for decades.

So now that I am done talking them up. My wife's RV/Bus thing has a V10, it only weighs 10-11k loaded. You downshift early on hills, let it rev to the moon, they sound like dog shit, sometimes slow down on hills and watch the gas gauge drop. Long term that might be annoying but she has the 4 speed, I am sure the 6 speed helps a lot.
my new 7.3 gas pulls great, im sure the 10 speed help.

Couldn't agree more, I think its wort noting also the v-10 got a significant bump in power(2v vs 3v) when it went from the 4 speed to 5 speed in 05? I think it was later in HD chassis tho?

Couldn't agree more, I think its wort noting also the v-10 got a significant bump in power(2v vs 3v) when it went from the 4 speed to 5 speed in 05? I think it was later in HD chassis tho?
It seems to be mixed info. the SD Trucks got the 3V in 05. Supposedly the 2v stayed in the econoline van's because of the 3v has a slightly taller head which doesnt fit? Thats what I read online.... but the F53 chassis's got the 3V after the SD trucks got them. That is all hearsay so take it with a grain of salt but the 3v is quite a bit more power paired with another gear or 2 depending on the year goes a long way.

Reactions: DMG
It seems to be mixed info. the SD Trucks got the 3V in 05. Supposedly the 2v stayed in the econoline van's because of the 3v has a slightly taller head which doesnt fit? Thats what I read online.... but the F53 chassis's got the 3V after the SD trucks got them. That is all hearsay so take it with a grain of salt but the 3v is quite a bit more power paired with another gear or 2 depending on the year goes a long way.
Agreed, about to pick up a 26' uhaul tomorrow equipped with one.:nuke:

Aren't the C&C MD one's also de-tuned some too?

Top Back Refresh