What's new

Fuck Ford (F550 rant)

I'm not trying to be a jackass... it just comes naturally.

But it seems like you're really demanding the MFG to fix something y'all could have addressed a long time ago. :flipoff2:

His truck wasn’t built a long time ago.

Fine... 15,000 miles ago.

Tha better? :flipoff2:

Marginally :flipoff2:

the way TSBs work is usually this: You don’t go to the dealer and demand they do all the opens TSBs on your truck. When your truck displays symptoms, then they have the TSB to direct them to fix it and/or to extend warranty, etc.

The 6.7 Cummins in my 09 F750 had a bad injection pump. The truck started good, ran smooth, no SEL, but had no power even after tuning. The rail pressure was still low after replacing the FCA. It was owned by Metro Nashville before me so I don't know how often the fuel filters were changed.

I had an issue with a 2018 Ford F350 that was in the shop numerous times with death-wobble and my dealership directed me to call Ethan at Ford 866-637-3788 extension 79082 and he was able to get things done above and beyond the dealer and their local Ford rep. Give him a call...he might be able to help.

I sold my 2000 7.3 PSD with 252k on the clock. Put a water pump, a serp belt tensioner, and a power window motor in it during the 200k I owned it.

These new diesels are getting so complicated with the emissions shit, it's like the mid 70's all over again.

Cab lights. My F250 loses a cab light at the rate of every two weeks. That's the biggest issue my truck has given me. :flipoff2:

This thread are disappoint.

From down here in the trailer park, trying to keep my $1000 shitboxes running, I assumed that the shining dealership on the hill meant the end of broken garbage.

If I took out a mortgage to get the truck that my dad wants me in, and then got an $18K bill a year later, that truck would become a smoking crater in the front of the dealership.

tenor.gif

the cab roof lights? im very happy i didnt get those on my one ton.

Yawp. I like em'. I'm going to switch to LEDs now that was brought up. Not kidding, there was one point I lost two in a week. Random ones too. Pop the cover off and the bulb is all black.

Pretty much all I do is diesel repair and I've been doing for a long time. I've had trucks towed in from the dealer with an estimate of well over 10k to fix the no-start, the dealer wants to do a whole fuel system.
The dealer usually tells them they found metal shavings in the fuel filter and they need a complete fuel system. I'll pull the filter and won't find any metal shavings, what the real problem has been is an injector is bad and is dumping the rail pressure and the pump can't keep up, a common rail needs 5000psi to start, so if it can't hold the pressure (because of the bad injector leaking) it won't make the 5000psi needed to start.
So far I've seen about 10 trucks that only needed injectors and not the whole fuel system, I have yet to see a confirmed bad CP3/CP4 pump, I'm sure they are out there but I think most are misdiagnosed.

The deal with Ford wanting to do the whole system for "contamination" is that they sell it as "Well that's the only way to keep your warranty". At the dealer we were supposed to sell a fuel system if say, the customer fills up with gas, even if they don't start it, just turning the key is supposed to warrant a full fuel system replacement. That's per Ford Motor Company, if you circulate anything through the system you're to replace it all. I've seen gas contaminated and DEF contaminated 6.7's live just fine with the tank drained/cleaned, new filters and the supply/return lines flushed. The "We found metal shavings" is the get out of doing warranty work cop out. Why diag a problem for peanuts when you can sell a fuel system for 20-30 hours?

That's interesting... I work on a lot of older Sprinters. When I get one in with a no-start, the first thing I check is for cam/crank synchronization, then I check rail pressure while cranking. Those need 2800 psi to fire off. If the rail pressure is low, I perform a leak-back test by putting clear tubing on the top of the Bosch injectors where the return line would be, clamping off the return line by the rail (prevents the fuel from pouring out from the rail bypass) and crank for 10 seconds. The quantities should be near-zero in each tube, but inevitably one (or two) will have a large amount of fuel in the tube(s). Swap the injector(s) and voila! Instant start every time.

Considering that Ford uses a common-rail system as well, should this not be on the standard diagnostic tree?

Yep. Replaced lots of injectors on the 5cyl t1n sprinters. Actually done so much bullshit work on both the 5 and 6 cylinder diesels that my personal sprinter is the elusive 2007 gas v6. :laughing:

Cab lights. My F250 loses a cab light at the rate of every two weeks. That's the biggest issue my truck has given me. :flipoff2:

Only a moron wants cab lights on a SRW. 10-4 there super trucker :flipoff2:

At least ford put the raptor lights in the grille and didnt cut more holes in the roof. Stupid law.

Only a moron wants cab lights on a SRW. 10-4 there super trucker :flipoff2:

At least ford put the raptor lights in the grille and didnt cut more holes in the roof. Stupid law.

Bah, it was a $75 option and I like the looks of it. :flipoff2:

Bah, it was a $75 option and I like the looks of it. :flipoff2:

You paid extra money for more bulbs to replace? Aren't you smart. :flipoff2:

It would be one thing if those extra bulbs lit up the road, or the cargo area, or something useful but cab lights on a pickup don't do fuck all.

The deal with Ford wanting to do the whole system for "contamination" is that they sell it as "Well that's the only way to keep your warranty". At the dealer we were supposed to sell a fuel system if say, the customer fills up with gas, even if they don't start it, just turning the key is supposed to warrant a full fuel system replacement.

So they get the customer to pay for the whole system to keep their warranty that didn't cover the problem they are there for and then if it happens again, won't cover it again?

This thread are disappoint.

From down here in the trailer park, trying to keep my $1000 shitboxes running, I assumed that the shining dealership on the hill meant the end of broken garbage.

If I took out a mortgage to get the truck that my dad wants me in, and then got an $18K bill a year later, that truck would become a smoking crater in the front of the dealership.

I have to agree. I used to buy brand new as I wanted nothign to deal with at all.

If I got an $18k bill on my new truck I promise I would be getting insurance money as I 'accidently' lost control of it in the dealer parking lot taking out at least a dozen other new cars with it - whoopsie!

Eh, drive a new vehicle for 200k miles and have a shitbox. I did the whole having two or three shit shitboxes parked in the driveway. Cobbling things together every weekend. Waiting for parts on one, need to install something on another. Not trusting it more than 30m out of town. I can see fixing stuff fine, but there comes a point where its nickle and diming you (parts and time) to the point to just get something new(er). Our wagon is a 2005 and its been great. Once it gets to the point I'm replacing parts constantly, someone else with more time can deal with it, while I get something else. My wife's Focus she got before we got married had a few issues. Idler bearing was making a racket, exhaust falling apart, etc. I just sold it for a fair price. I like having my weekend available to work on firewood, hunt, motorcycle rides, time with the family, instead of rebuilding shit on the slanted, gravel driveway in the rain.

$18k bill on a new truck though, that's something I wouldn't put up with.

We've dealt with this 18,000 bill as well ourselves. We have a fleet of 100 or so. Mostly F150s and 250's. Only a handful are diesel but our guys have managed to fill up with gas 3 times. The first time we sent it to the dealer and they gave us that ridiculous estimate as well. This was on a truck that got towed from the gas pump because the driver knew what he had done before he started it. We ended up towing it from Ford to a small local shop, replaced filters, flushed the lines, and dumped the tank. Truck still driving no problems and still has a warranty. The other 2 times were similar but I believe at least one of them drove a bit. Same results though because we learned not to take trucks to Ford for that mistake.

So they get the customer to pay for the whole system to keep their warranty that didn't cover the problem they are there for and then if it happens again, won't cover it again?

It makes sense if you don't think about it. It's just like how they would rather fix shit under warranty or a recall instead of just engineer it and build it right the first time.

We've dealt with this 18,000 bill as well ourselves. We have a fleet of 100 or so. Mostly F150s and 250's. Only a handful are diesel but our guys have managed to fill up with gas 3 times. The first time we sent it to the dealer and they gave us that ridiculous estimate as well. This was on a truck that got towed from the gas pump because the driver knew what he had done before he started it. We ended up towing it from Ford to a small local shop, replaced filters, flushed the lines, and dumped the tank. Truck still driving no problems and still has a warranty. The other 2 times were similar but I believe at least one of them drove a bit. Same results though because we learned not to take trucks to Ford for that mistake.

One of our guys took our 6.7L Cummins 5500 to the local station and topped the half full tank off with gas. He made it 50 miles before he noticed power loss and shut it down. All we did was drain the tank and flush the system, filled it back up with diesel and its still going strong:lmao:

UPDATE:

Truck was back in service for 2 trips and now the front pinion bearing went. Ferd says Dec 14th for an expected repair date as there are 0 parts available for this. We called the local Dana/ Spicer dealer and they advised it's a Ford only part.

THIS THING IS THE BIGGEST PIECE OF SHIT KNOWN TO MAN.

Fuck you ford :mad3:

I’m a die hard cummins guy, but I’ve realized that they’re all the same at this point and it’s the luck of the draw.

I personally know of 3 people with Ram cp4 failures at less than 20,000 miles. 8-10k repair cost. They traded them in, took huge hits, dealers fixed and slapped back on the lots.

They’re all becoming junk.

I need a new truck for work, but guess I’ll wait till market tanks and can get one cheap enough to justify doing a cp3 conversion on a brand new truck and voiding the warranty.

UPDATE:

Truck was back in service for 2 trips and now the front pinion bearing went. Ferd says Dec 14th for an expected repair date as there are 0 parts available for this. We called the local Dana/ Spicer dealer and they advised it's a Ford only part.

THIS THING IS THE BIGGEST PIECE OF SHIT KNOWN TO MAN.

Fuck you ford :mad3:

I wouldn't blame ford for the parts shortage - blame the gov't shut downs of businesses in the supply chain.

Top Back Refresh