What's new

Fuck Ford (F550 rant)

1981K20

Up North
Member Number
Loc
North of MT but south of AK
Fuck Ford. Our last work 1 ton was a 5500 Ram. Whole shitload of U joints ball joints and one transfer case over all the time that we had it. We sold it @ 577430 miles and still got $5200 for it.

2019 F550 was purchased against my wishes because they got a good deal from Ford, I personally would have stuck with the Cummins.

This truck has needed:
front pinion bearing @ 12000miles

power steering line (a BITCH of a job) @ 13000miles

fuel tank imploded @ 15000 miles. Cost was $4200. Frustrating part here is that they issued a TSB prior to that truck even being built that identified the problem with the fuel tank venting, why they continue to build trucks with a defective fuel tank is beyond me.

now the truck was a no start 200 miles from here. Towed to Ford. Metal shavings in fuel system ahead of filter. Injection pump is fucked. ARE YOU READY FOR THIS??? $18,460 bill to replace. Minimum 2 weeks downtime.

Cost to own this 2019 F550 will be in excess of $25,000 plus the sticker price.

I don't even own the truck and I'm not paying the bill and I am still infuriated with the issues this absolute piece of shit has had.

FUCK YOU FORD!!!!!

I forgot to add:

1) thanks for listening to my rant

2) all attempts to recoup any cost from Ford service including reaching out to the regional rep has failed. I've taken this as far as I can at ford and they basically told me to fuck off

What type of work do you do? I just ordered 3 f350s with the 7.3 so this is of interest to me. Everyone i have talked to really likes their alumiduty

fuel tank imploded @ 15000 miles. Cost was $4200. Frustrating part here is that they issued a TSB prior to that truck even being built that identified the problem with the fuel tank venting, why they continue to build trucks with a defective fuel tank is beyond me.

Why 15k+ miles while never having the dealer address the TSB that was already on the books? Seems like an issue y'all could easily dealt with 15k miles ago???

Why 15k+ miles while never having the dealer address the TSB that was already on the books? Seems like an issue y'all could easily dealt with 15k miles ago???

If we had known that our brand-new trucks fuel tank would implode we would have most definitely had it fixed but with a fleet of 100 Vehicles I'm not checking the TSB info on every one of them that's for sure. At some point the manufacturer has to be held responsible for putting shit Parts in a vehicle after they determine that those said parts are shit.

now the truck was a no start 200 miles from here. Towed to Ford. Metal shavings in fuel system ahead of filter. Injection pump is fucked. ARE YOU READY FOR THIS??? $18,460 bill to replace. Minimum 2 weeks downtime.

Friend of mine at united rentals just got the same bill. Ford claimed the driver put def in the fuel tank, or the "contaminated" fuel excuse.

The CP4 is a known problem across all brands. Ford just likes to fuck you for it.

What type of work do you do? I just ordered 3 f350s with the 7.3 so this is of interest to me. Everyone i have talked to really likes their alumiduty

We run mostly heavy trucks supplying utility companies with on and off road trucking services. We have two 1 ton trucks that have a picker on them and are used for Hotshot deliveries

Not a fan of any one brand of vehicle but we seem to get a lot of miles out of the Ram's

Friend of mine at united rentals just got the same bill. Ford claimed the driver put def in the fuel tank, or the "contaminated" fuel excuse.

The CP4 is a known problem across all brands. Ford just likes to fuck you for it.

as far as i know, Ford is the only one who has the Cp4 issue. and it goes back 5-6 years.

ive known a few people who have had Fords, several for business. One time i was riding with a contractor and his 8 month old F350 just turned off doing 80 mph. he pulls it into the ditch, bitching this is the 3rd time its happened. we jumped in with one of his employees behind us and he said "im just going to leave this bastard here and call Ford and tell them to come fucking get it. tired of this shit."

after Big Lou had his f350 shit out the DEF system at about 25,000 miles and he had to foot the $3500 bill for it, when it reached about 150k and every joint, ball joint, bearing all through that thing was worn completely out, he bought a Ram 3500 dually and is glad he did it. he was a Ford guy too.

Have your boss check out the International CV/Chevy 4500 next time. They’re built to compete with the F550 and Ram 5500 but they’re honestly twice the truck the Ford or Ram is. I drive the International version for work and it’s a beast.

Metal in the fuel filter ahead of the filter is from the fuel return from the injection pump failing and contaminating the fuel system.

as far as i know, Ford is the only one who has the Cp4 issue. and it goes back 5-6 years.

Nope, all 6.7L have a CP4. Theres kit for duramax and VW TDI CP3 conversion for the exact same issue. Class action lawsuits and such.

2017+ duramax went to a Denso pump, which seems to have a better track record. But Ram went to CP4 in the 2019+ 6.7L, fucking retards. The ecodiesel had the CP4 as well. The finger keeps getting pointed at ULSD.

If we had known that our brand-new trucks fuel tank would implode we would have most definitely had it fixed but with a fleet of 100 Vehicles I'm not checking the TSB info on every one of them that's for sure. At some point the manufacturer has to be held responsible for putting shit Parts in a vehicle after they determine that those said parts are shit.

I can get that... at the same time, they did put out a TSB...

With a fleet of 100 vehicles, I would think being on top of TSB's would save y'all a bundle. But that's from the outside looking in.

Nope, all 6.7L have a CP4. Theres kit for duramax and VW TDI CP3 conversion for the exact same issue. Class action lawsuits and such.

2017+ duramax went to a Denso pump, which seems to have a better track record. But Ram went to CP4 in the 2019+ 6.7L, fucking retards. The ecodiesel had the CP4 as well. The finger keeps getting pointed at ULSD.

Didn't know about the 2019 Rams. My 17 doesn't have it.

Yes ulsd doesn't have the same lubricity that it used to.

I have to run a modifier to save the injectors in my 70s and 80s JD and IH tractors

I can get that... at the same time, they did put out a TSB...

With a fleet of 100 vehicles, I would think being on top of TSB's would save y'all a bundle. But that's from the outside looking in.

Fair, but our techs and service manager are typically focussed on the heavy trucks. The TSB was put out, but I still feel it it's unfair and not very transparent afford to make a truck after the TSB was issued that has the same issue.

We are a company and even though it's a big hit we will have to absorb the cost. Where I feel bad is if a elderly couple spend their retirement money on an F-550 to haul their RV with and on their way to Arizona get hit with an $18,000 Bill. Like I said not very fair of Ford and something that we will remember when looking for trucks next time

Couldn't pay me to own the time bomb CP4 trucks. Sounds like OP is learning first hand why GM is at the receiving end of class action suits for that very same pump. Fucking unreal its not covered under warranty though. Fuck ford. Fuck Ram for going to the CP4 as well, I'll stick with my CP3 Cummins engines.

Have your boss check out the International CV/Chevy 4500 next time. They’re built to compete with the F550 and Ram 5500 but they’re honestly twice the truck the Ford or Ram is. I drive the International version for work and it’s a beast.

We have a large fleet of 1500, 2500, 3500 trucks for the Foremen, Service, and general use trucks, with a few of the Equinox and Colorado smaller trucks as well. The weld trucks are 2500 and SRW 3500. The delivery trucks are mostly 4500, 5500, 6500, and 7500 and anything from the 3500 and larger is a Duramax.

I was talking to the fleet guy and he said they try to pull everything out of them that they can as we do all of our own wrenching in-house. The small trucks up to 3/4 ton usually get 250-400k before going to auction and the Duramax trucks go 600k-1mil on average. Route trucks, lots of in town and long freeway miles. Not a ton of off road, but some, and hauling mostly medium weight loads, but rarely maxing out the capacity.

I've always been a Ford guy, but after having a Chevy company truck and seeing how well they've held up over the last decade I've been there, I've got to say I'm pretty impressed. If I was doing some really heavy hauling and consistently maxing out loads though, I think the Cummins/Allison combo would be the way to go in the Dodge packages.

--

Last edited:
am i missing something? bought new or used? how the fawk is the dealership not covering these? :mad3:

We have a large fleet of 1500, 2500, 3500 trucks for the Foremen, Service, and general use trucks, with a few of the Equinox and Colorado smaller trucks as well. The weld trucks are 2500 and SRW 3500. The delivery trucks are mostly 4500, 5500, 6500, and 7500 and anything from the 3500 and larger is a Duramax.

I was talking to the fleet guy and he said they try to pull everything out of them that they can as we do all of our own wrenching in-house. The small trucks up to 3/4 ton usually get 250-400k before going to auction and the Duramax trucks go 600k-1mil on average. Route trucks, lots of in town and long freeway miles. Not a ton of off road, but some, and hauling mostly medium weight loads, but rarely maxing out the capacity.

I've always been a Ford guy, but after having a Chevy company truck and seeing how well they've held up over the last decade I've been there, I've got to say I'm pretty impressed. If I was doing some really heavy hauling and consistently maxing out loads though, I think the Cummins/Allison combo would be the way to go in the Dodge packages.

--

we have a fleet of chevy's too, most of them literally had doors fall off before 125k miles and the 12s and 14s we had all needed new transmissions before 100k miles (gas engines, 3/4 tons). im not a fan of them, but we have tried to price them out for different brands. with initial cost and service cost, they basically all cost the same over their service life, but we dont do in house maintenance.

so its back to Chevy and their shittyness. i just cant hardly stand to drive one, and ive put 100k on one in the last few years.

we have a fleet of chevy's too, most of them literally had doors fall off before 125k miles and the 12s and 14s we had all needed new transmissions before 100k miles (gas engines, 3/4 tons). im not a fan of them, but we have tried to price them out for different brands. with initial cost and service cost, they basically all cost the same over their service life, but we dont do in house maintenance.

so its back to Chevy and their shittyness. i just cant hardly stand to drive one, and ive put 100k on one in the last few years.

I'm surprised they've held up as well as they have which is what impressed me. I've only ever owned Ford F-350's and F-250's. I've also own a bunch of Toyotas though and for a regular work truck would always go that route if possible. My current work truck is a Chevy because that's what they give me and it's company owned, so no complaints as far as that goes. For a heavy hauler, I'd definitely look at the Dodge just because they have a good track record with the Cummins/Allison combo.

Just got off the phone with the regional rep. Not too proud of the things I said to that man :lmao:

He pretty much said we are fucked and they're not compensating any percentage of the bill due to 'contaminants in fuel system not covered under warranty'. Frustrating part is it was fords defective fuel tank that caused the pump to run dry and start grenading. Fuck this is frustrating.

A serious question tho:
A lot of this repair is removing and replacing the 'entire fuel system'. I imagine the cab needs to come off because it's a ford. Pump is a bit over $5k and we have a fully equipped shop with staff. Can we blow out the lines, clean the tank and replace injectors or is the ferd guy correct that there is no way to get all of the contaminants out and it's a huge risk to replace just the pump?

Fair, but our techs and service manager are typically focussed on the heavy trucks. The TSB was put out, but I still feel it it's unfair and not very transparent afford to make a truck after the TSB was issued that has the same issue.

We are a company and even though it's a big hit we will have to absorb the cost. Where I feel bad is if a elderly couple spend their retirement money on an F-550 to haul their RV with and on their way to Arizona get hit with an $18,000 Bill. Like I said not very fair of Ford and something that we will remember when looking for trucks next time

I'm not trying to be a jackass... it just comes naturally.

But it seems like you're really demanding the MFG to fix something y'all could have addressed a long time ago. :flipoff2:

We had the same thing happen to one of out f550s. After leaving it in thier shop for 6 months the offer went from nothing, to 20%, to 50%, to paid for by ford. All of our other trucks got aftermarket spin on fuel filters and water separators in addition to whatever else ford has on there. At 15k miles I cut open my spin on filter and it was full of metal particles. Truck has 148k on it now and still running strong.

You used to be able to buy a F-550 with a Cummins in it to about 3 years ago?

Fuck Ford. Our last work 1 ton was a 5500 Ram. Whole shitload of U joints ball joints and one transfer case over all the time that we had it. We sold it @ 577430 miles and still got $5200 for it.

2019 F550 was purchased against my wishes because they got a good deal from Ford, I personally would have stuck with the Cummins.

This truck has needed:
front pinion bearing @ 12000miles

power steering line (a BITCH of a job) @ 13000miles

Cost to own this 2019 F550 will be in excess of $25,000 plus the sticker price.

I don't even own the truck and I'm not paying the bill and I am still infuriated with the issues this absolute piece of shit has had.

FUCK YOU FORD!!!!!

its got a warranty.

What the fuck are you doing?

My 19 has had the upper oil pan leak twice. We have a 140k mile 2017 its lost a injector so far

Diesel engine 100,000 mile warranty
5year 60,000 mile

If yall want to throw away more money you can just fucking send it to me. Truck may be a piece of shit but yall are fucking stupid.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...ck-Warranty-version-1_frdwa_EN-US_04_2018.pdf

Send that to who ever signs the fucking checks to send to the dealer. FInd a new dealer to, they are fucking yall while you fuck yourselves

Last edited:
I'm surprised they've held up as well as they have which is what impressed me. I've only ever owned Ford F-350's and F-250's. I've also own a bunch of Toyotas though and for a regular work truck would always go that route if possible. My current work truck is a Chevy because that's what they give me and it's company owned, so no complaints as far as that goes. For a heavy hauler, I'd definitely look at the Dodge just because they have a good track record with the Cummins/Allison combo.

Are you trying to say Cummins/Aisin combo?

We just got a first 4 7.3s too. They are super quick. Lets ee if they fixed the engine issue, they started dropping before they made it to the dealers.

Top Back Refresh