What's new

Fuck Ford (F550 rant)

What tsb?

what.png

what2.jpg

If we had known that our brand-new trucks fuel tank would implode we would have most definitely had it fixed but with a fleet of 100 Vehicles I'm not checking the TSB info on every one of them that's for sure. At some point the manufacturer has to be held responsible for putting shit Parts in a vehicle after they determine that those said parts are shit.

They send letters out for that shit.

Why 15k+ miles while never having the dealer address the TSB that was already on the books? Seems like an issue y'all could easily dealt with 15k miles ago???

Not how TSB's work. Ford doesn't do work found in TSB's under warranty unless the truck is having that problem when you bring it in. You don't just show up and have them do random TSBs without a symptom.

What tsb?

Field Service Actions are recalls, not TSBs.

We had the same thing happen to one of out f550s. After leaving it in thier shop for 6 months the offer went from nothing, to 20%, to 50%, to paid for by ford. All of our other trucks got aftermarket spin on fuel filters and water separators in addition to whatever else ford has on there. At 15k miles I cut open my spin on filter and it was full of metal particles. Truck has 148k on it now and still running strong.

So this is the fix it seems? I have an 18 F-550 diesel 4x4 that we bought new. We only put a couple thousand miles on it since new. I'd rather avoid grenading it as with my upcoming budget cuts I will NOT be able to afford to fix it.

So this is the fix it seems? I have an 18 F-550 diesel 4x4 that we bought new. We only put a couple thousand miles on it since new. I'd rather avoid grenading it as with my upcoming budget cuts I will NOT be able to afford to fix it.

More filter certainly can't hurt. It's better than an 18-20,000 dollar insurance claim.

Yeah, not tracking TSBs on fleet trucks sounds bad. Are you saying you have a 100 different models or 100 different vehicles?

Tracking a TSB won't do shit. They don't replace the fuel tank and vent 'just cuz'. A TSB is simply telling the tech what to look for. Wish they did, that's the point of this rant, but the fact is it'll never happen. We run mostly Kenworth T800 trucks, the winch trucks are Western Star tri-drive HD's. Only a few 'light' trucks

its got a warranty.

What the fuck are you doing?

My 19 has had the upper oil pan leak twice. We have a 140k mile 2017 its lost a injector so far

Diesel engine 100,000 mile warranty
5year 60,000 mile

If yall want to throw away more money you can just fucking send it to me. Truck may be a piece of shit but yall are fucking stupid.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...ck-Warranty-version-1_frdwa_EN-US_04_2018.pdf

Send that to who ever signs the fucking checks to send to the dealer. FInd a new dealer to, they are fucking yall while you fuck yourselves

Not sure you understand the point of my rant but I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING and they're not covering it :flipoff2:

Tracking a TSB won't do shit. They don't replace the fuel tank and vent 'just cuz'. A TSB is simply telling the tech what to look for. Wish they did, that's the point of this rant, but the fact is it'll never happen. We run mostly Kenworth T800 trucks, the winch trucks are Western Star tri-drive HD's. Only a few 'light' trucks

I track service bulletins for thousands pieces of IT gear, I'm the tech and I know what to then focus on fixing before it becomes a problem.

Isn't this a small weekly or monthly task that can be performed for 100 vehicles (or less if you have multiple of the same ones)? Sounds like some techs need a new task to me.

Not sure you understand the point of my rant but I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING and they're not covering it :flipoff2:

I too have heard several stories of the pumps shitting metal into the rest of the fuel system and taking it out, and thought it was pretty well established that fords canned response was "well you must have put bad diesel in it, so we're not warrantying your fuckup" ...it sounds like that has worked well enough for them to actually exclude the fuel system from the factory warranty...? Sounds like that is what OP is saying he's up against. I doubt anything will change without enough bad publicity or a class action suit.

We just got a first 4 7.3s too. They are super quick. Lets ee if they fixed the engine issue, they started dropping before they made it to the dealers.

I have read of a few of the early 7.3s had oil pump issues as well as people complaining about a tick around 2k. I wrote them off as car people not knowing what they are looking for. They are definitely a step up on the 6.2 but slower than the 6.7. Trading in a 17 6.2 and a 12 6.7, don't tow heavy or often anymore. The two tradeins paid for basically half of the three new trucks, hard to beat that.

Shouldn't the truck handle bad fuel?
Do I get an inspection at the fuel station everytime I fill up?

Do I fill up a tank, bring it home, have it studied and analyze.

Do i filter though a quantum realm of Cat, Donaldson and Fass filters.

Should I take the fuel to a priest and have it blessed.

Would a voodoo witch remove the curse from the bad fuel?

Shouldn't the truck handle bad fuel?
Do I get an inspection at the fuel station everytime I fill up?

Do I fill up a tank, bring it home, have it studied and analyze.

Do i filter though a quantum realm of Cat, Donaldson and Fass filters.

Should I take the fuel to a priest and have it blessed.

Would a voodoo witch remove the curse from the bad fuel?

I believe (not 100%) that 'dirty' fuel equates to lower lubrication than European fuel. I run Howes or Lucas additive to my personal vehicle. Ol Cummins gets 2 stroke oil and LOVES it. Point here is lubrication I think.

Maybe someone smarter can elaborate :homer:

My 19 F550 service truck just hit 60k miles on the trip back from El Paso this evening. Zero problems with the truck so far, but then again I don't own it so no fucks given either way.

This is common knowledge on Ford forums. There are bypasses and additional fuel filters that can be added. Ford WILL NOT warranty any of the fuel issues. At least the internet says they won't.

The two best solutions, and neither are really solutions, are to make sure you run a fuel additive that lubricates the pump every single fill up. Save all fuel receipts so you can stick it up Ford's ass if this ever happens to you. The second thing ties in with the fuel receipts... Call your insurance company. There are stories of insurance covering the cost of the repair though I do not have any first hand knowledge of that nor so I know how that would actually work.

There are hundreds of thousands of 6.7 Power strokes out there. It's hard to imagine that all those trucks are going to puke the fuel system out to the tune of $18k. If it was as prevalent as you read, Ford wouldn't sell another diesel.

OP, it sucks for sure and it's real frustrating to have to deal with dealership bullshit.

its got a warranty.

What the fuck are you doing?

My 19 has had the upper oil pan leak twice. We have a 140k mile 2017 its lost a injector so far

Diesel engine 100,000 mile warranty
5year 60,000 mile

If yall want to throw away more money you can just fucking send it to me. Truck may be a piece of shit but yall are fucking stupid.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...ck-Warranty-version-1_frdwa_EN-US_04_2018.pdf

Send that to who ever signs the fucking checks to send to the dealer. FInd a new dealer to, they are fucking yall while you fuck yourselves

I know of a few of these folks who've contacted everyone from Dealer Principles, to Ford Factory Service Managers, to State Attorney Generals, to Lemon Law folks.... Ford says F You. It's contaminated fuel, not our fault. Yet the reality is, the pump failed and sent the contaminants thru the system. It's the penny counters at Ford saying it's cheaper to lose future sales than pay warranty claims and potentially hyper expensive recalls, and, lawsuits claiming class action

Pretty much all I do is diesel repair and I've been doing for a long time. I've had trucks towed in from the dealer with an estimate of well over 10k to fix the no-start, the dealer wants to do a whole fuel system.
The dealer usually tells them they found metal shavings in the fuel filter and they need a complete fuel system. I'll pull the filter and won't find any metal shavings, what the real problem has been is an injector is bad and is dumping the rail pressure and the pump can't keep up, a common rail needs 5000psi to start, so if it can't hold the pressure (because of the bad injector leaking) it won't make the 5000psi needed to start.
So far I've seen about 10 trucks that only needed injectors and not the whole fuel system, I have yet to see a confirmed bad CP3/CP4 pump, I'm sure they are out there but I think most are misdiagnosed.

I'm waiting for the retrofit Denso pump from the l5p to Ford kit.

I just got a used 2018 l5p. It didn't run quite right with a trailer so I pull the fuel filter. Dash says 85% remaining, filter was black as sin. Damn thing runs so much better now. Ford's seem like the filter never gets dirty because it's not catching anything.

I think it all comes down to the filtration, and I know of several companies here that won't buy Ford because of that exact issue. Truck shuts down, $15k bill and they tell them to move it to the lot, fuck them, never buying another.

I know a few guys who switched from dodge to Ford 17+ 6.7 and they don’t seem to have problems. New diesels aren’t for me though, too cold where I work

Cp4 bypass is a must on these things. I’ve got 170,000 on my 2011 ford 6.7. Only issue I’ve had was emissions and that got deleted.

No doubt it’s a shitty design having the fuel that lubricates the pump go to the injectors.

they pulled the same bull shit on my buddys 17 with 19,000 miles on it. said it had water in the fuel. the bill was 19,000. he did make a claim on his insurance though. he checked both tanks, no water.

I know a guy from Texas that had a fleet of 6.7 Fords and had multiple pump failures that warranty was denied. Ford said contaminated fuel but all of his other equipment including Cummins powered Rams were using the same fuel with no issues. Seems like a better fuel filtration system and fuel additive would be good protection for any late model diesel pickup. They would probably deny warranty because the fuel system had been modified though.

they pulled the same bull shit on my buddys 17 with 19,000 miles on it. said it had water in the fuel. the bill was 19,000. he did make a claim on his insurance though. he checked both tanks, no water.

Do you know how that worked? Does it work just like an accident and you just call the insurance company? I'm curious. Wife fell in love with an F450 to drag a camper around and I'm always hesitant about the new diesels.

I imagined that if it happened and I called my insurance company to tell them, they'd say, "The hell are you talking about?"

Why Ford doesn't put the 7.3 gas engine in the F450's is beyond me, although even those things have their issues. Really, all vehicles have their issues, it's just Ford's are so damn expensive to fix. It might be worth putting the bypass on a new one, though that voids the warranty allegedly. Still, if the fuel system shits the bed and you wind up have to take it to a third party diesel mechanic to get fixed because Ford sucks cock, the warranty is meaningless anyway.

Pretty much all I do is diesel repair and I've been doing for a long time. I've had trucks towed in from the dealer with an estimate of well over 10k to fix the no-start, the dealer wants to do a whole fuel system.
The dealer usually tells them they found metal shavings in the fuel filter and they need a complete fuel system. I'll pull the filter and won't find any metal shavings, what the real problem has been is an injector is bad and is dumping the rail pressure and the pump can't keep up, a common rail needs 5000psi to start, so if it can't hold the pressure (because of the bad injector leaking) it won't make the 5000psi needed to start.
So far I've seen about 10 trucks that only needed injectors and not the whole fuel system, I have yet to see a confirmed bad CP3/CP4 pump, I'm sure they are out there but I think most are misdiagnosed.

That's interesting... I work on a lot of older Sprinters. When I get one in with a no-start, the first thing I check is for cam/crank synchronization, then I check rail pressure while cranking. Those need 2800 psi to fire off. If the rail pressure is low, I perform a leak-back test by putting clear tubing on the top of the Bosch injectors where the return line would be, clamping off the return line by the rail (prevents the fuel from pouring out from the rail bypass) and crank for 10 seconds. The quantities should be near-zero in each tube, but inevitably one (or two) will have a large amount of fuel in the tube(s). Swap the injector(s) and voila! Instant start every time.

Considering that Ford uses a common-rail system as well, should this not be on the standard diagnostic tree?

Do you know how that worked? Does it work just like an accident and you just call the insurance company? I'm curious. Wife fell in love with an F450 to drag a camper around and I'm always hesitant about the new diesels.

I imagined that if it happened and I called my insurance company to tell them, they'd say, "The hell are you talking about?"

Why Ford doesn't put the 7.3 gas engine in the F450's is beyond me, although even those things have their issues. Really, all vehicles have their issues, it's just Ford's are so damn expensive to fix. It might be worth putting the bypass on a new one, though that voids the warranty allegedly. Still, if the fuel system shits the bed and you wind up have to take it to a third party diesel mechanic to get fixed because Ford sucks cock, the warranty is meaningless anyway.

he just called the insurance company and asked if they covered water in the fuel. and the guy said they covered gas in a diesel, so ok.

Top Back Refresh