What's new

***Fail***

attachment(418).jpg

"but tHEY aPPLY cOnsTaNT TEnsIoN"

-people too stupid to not strip a worm gear clamp.

They are way the fuck better if you don’t store them in the ocean.

They are way the fuck better if you don’t store them in the ocean.
That was off the Grand Cherokee. It was an upper too, not a lower. :laughing:

The only thing spring clamps are better at is speedy assembly and retard proofing in a factory environment. Constant tension isn't necessary for automotive cooling systems.

Edit: Being a flat rate tech I suppose you like the fact that you can't fuck them up with an impact like you can with the worm gears. :flipoff2:

That was off the Grand Cherokee. It was an upper too, not a lower. :laughing:

The only thing spring clamps are better at is speedy assembly and retard proofing in a factory environment. Constant tension isn't necessary for automotive cooling systems.

Edit: Being a flat rate tech I suppose you like the fact that you can't fuck them up with an impact like you can with the worm gears. :flipoff2:
I haven’t worked flat rate in a long time and my employee is hourly so shit and fall in it :flipoff2:

Often a new hose and/or a new screw clamp will have to be tightened after heat cycling a time or 2. A good spring clamp will prevent that from being an issue.

Often a new hose and/or a new screw clamp will have to be tightened after heat cycling a time or 2. A good spring clamp will prevent that from being an issue.
I've run into that zero times and I've run into the above failure about a couple dozen times (typically on smaller sizes mounted down low, like trans fluid hoses and stuff).

So why's my ratio so different than yours?

I see a lot more cars than you. I have seen 2 spring clamps fail like that.
Which still begs the question why the difference in ratio. I get that you're not dealing in 30yo cars so that biases things a bit but still, you'd think if anyone were fucking up the worm gear clamps it'd be the shade tree guys like me and not the supposedly reputable professionals like yourself.

Maybe put down the 1/4 rattle gun and your worm clamps will work better.:flipoff2:

Because you're a fan of shitty Chrysler and Subaru products.

:flipoff2:
Subaru from the era I deal in doesn't even use spring clamps or worm clamps (except on the intake). :laughing:

Jetwireclap.jpg

Ford uses really shitty worm gear clamps in the 80s and 90s. Either mild steel with some black coating or stainless with a mild screw that just rust locks.

Which still begs the question why the difference in ratio. I get that you're not dealing in 30yo cars so that biases things a bit but still, you'd think if anyone were fucking up the worm gear clamps it'd be the shade tree guys like me and not the supposedly reputable professionals like yourself.

Maybe put down the 1/4 rattle gun and your worm clamps will work better.:flipoff2:
It’s not me fucking them up. It’s occasional cars where I have to turn them a couple turns when the car is here for something else. I see small leaks all the time after the hose compresses and the clamp stretches.

I run the car, let it cool off and retighten.

LOL at arse bitching about hose clamps that worked flawlessly through the manufacturer's ~8 year, 100,000 mile warranty failing at the 4th owner / shitbox stage of the car's life cycle :lmao:

EDIT: people about whose opinions auto manufacturers GAF:
1724193273429.png

Last edited:
LOL at arse bitching about hose clamps that worked flawlessly through the manufacturer's ~8 year, 100,000 mile warranty failing at the 4th owner / shitbox stage of the car's life cycle :lmao:
The 2nd owner, as far as the DMV databases know. :flipoff2:

Yeah I know it outlasted the warranty. They still suck because they replace something that lasted decades.

They still suck because they replace something that lasted decades.
I realize the new car market may be an abstract concept to you but, believe it or not, auto makers constantly shittify assemblies to encheapenate them to remain cost-competitive. The euphemism commonly used for this inferiorizing process is "value engineering". The folks that bought the vehicle new and didn't have to think about that hose clamp for the entire time they owned it got their value out of it.

Between lower part cost, faster assembly time, fewer assembly line tools requiring calibration, and lower instance of post-sale leaks (which would add warranty cost), that constant-tension clamp & similar "innovations" made that car ~$500 cheaper to produce than the same product using 20 year older technologies. I hope you, being a bona-fide cheapass, can appreciate that paying $500 less for a car would leave you budgetary room to replace all the hose clamps with shiny new stainless ones from VatoZone if you really wanted to :flipoff2:

I realize the new car market may be an abstract concept to you but, believe it or not, auto makers constantly shittify assemblies to encheapenate them to remain cost-competitive. The euphemism commonly used for this inferiorizing process is "value engineering". The folks that bought the vehicle new and didn't have to think about that hose clamp for the entire time they owned it got their value out of it.

Between lower part cost, faster assembly time, fewer assembly line tools requiring calibration, and lower instance of post-sale leaks (which would add warranty cost), that constant-tension clamp & similar "innovations" made that car ~$500 cheaper to produce than the same product using 20 year older technologies. I hope you, being a bona-fide cheapass, can appreciate that paying $500 less for a car would leave you budgetary room to replace all the hose clamps with shiny new stainless ones from VatoZone if you really wanted to :flipoff2:
fail on you fuckers that are going 'out' anything that know-it-all
he has done more, experienced more, knows more than everyone in this whole website collectively together, you should know that by now

fail on you fuckers that are going 'out' anything that know-it-all
he has done more, experienced more, knows more than everyone in this whole website collectively together, you should know that by now
Before I typed that out, I did not know for certain that he was aware of that information.

Now, if he argues to the contrary, I can in good conscience call him an ignorant fuck :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh