What's new

DOM Prices

I just got a quote for 10 sticks of 2" and of 1 3/4" DOM and all of were under $5 a ft at patton's in hesperia. Just like wood it will NEVER to back to $2 a ft for DOM tubing.

1 3/4 .120 DOM is $4.3/ft at IMS in Tucson

Same tube is $9.40/ft here in the midwest.

Why in the hell is it double the price in the middle of the country?

Why do you expect prices to be the same? Local supply and demand, other non-manufacturing related costs (transportation, etc), and local customer willingness to pay all enter into the equation.

Here in California was 10.50 a few months ago. Don't even want to see it now.

Yeah 1.75 120 was my cheapest one I ordered at it was mid 9s... my axle tubes were $67 a ft!

I believe CTI (Chicago Tube and Iron) delivers in MO as well. If you are close to a manufacturing facility that gets steel from them and have an in with someone there you can save the delivery charge too. CTI specializes in structural steel (tube, square and round) so pricing may be better than NIM. NIM may have it, but they seem to focus on flat, angle, and channel steel.
Try Norfolk iron in Nebraska, they are a manufacturer. They have trucks down to KC and South daily.

$15/ft for 1.5x.120 and $18/ft for 1.75x.120 was my last quote....pretty sad to see cali prices are cheaper.

$10.05 / ft here for 1.750" rd x .120 wall. I'm located just north of Milwaukee, WI.

Meant to call NIM today but was running amuck and forgot. The place I've been getting mine from in Joplin, MO. Says their DOM comes from Chicago so they may be using CTI.

Meant to call NIM today but was running amuck and forgot. The place I've been getting mine from in Joplin, MO. Says their DOM comes from Chicago so they may be using CTI.
What's the place in Joplin? That's much less of a drive for me than Shapiro. I haven't had any luck around Springfield.

Screenshot_20220920-211942_Drive.jpg

About 3 weeks ago.

Paid $7.50/ft for 1 3/4x120 from a small fab shop.

I had called around a few bigger places and was looking at ~$10/ft :barf:

Even junk hrew was $5-6/ft :homer:

Just a few years ago, I paid $1.75/ft.

Paid $7.50/ft for 1 3/4x120 from a small fab shop.

I had called around a few bigger places and was looking at ~$10/ft :barf:

Even junk hrew was $5-6/ft :homer:

Just a few years ago, I paid $1.75/ft.
Fuck... try bidding sprinkler construction jobs 10-12 months ago at around $.79 per foot(1" id) and now it's up to almost $3... sucks big dicks but contracts are signed and i just gotta get through it:usa:

Fuck... try bidding sprinkler construction jobs 10-12 months ago at around $.79 per foot(1" id) and now it's up to almost $3... sucks big dicks but contracts are signed and i just gotta get through it:usa:

So you're locked into the bid price on material?

What's the time limits on the bid?

Then what about quote from the supplier? How long is the quote good for?

Seems like you shouldn't be stuck in the middle, but I guess that happens sometimes.

So you're locked into the bid price on material?

What's the time limits on the bid?

Then what about quote from the supplier? How long is the quote good for?

Seems like you shouldn't be stuck in the middle, but I guess that happens sometimes.
Yes i am.

60-90 days depending on wording

90 days

It's the times more than anything i hope...

I can write a change order to try to recoup some of the rising costs, but if there a signed contract I'm locked in. I have to sign very early to get design going as generally Fire Protection is design build, where as every other trade has architectural design already completed before they even bid the project, let alone sign a contract lol.
Supplier quotes right now are 90 days tops... (for a while they were 14 days) my quotes are the same, but if i sign a contract within that 90 days, i can't really get another materials quote until after i get design done, which usually takes 1 to 2 months depending on the size/ scope of the project. If there's no building to install piping into by this time, i can't get materials delivered because storing outside will rust the pipe and then i can't install it anyway:laughing:
I basically got caught by the "covid" delays, materials shortages, and nonsense labor shortages that have been the last 2 years. The absurd cost increases over the course of a few months are being equalized on my next few projects. The problem there lies within the fact that the next few building owners will pay the price... therefore in the end we all fucking pay with higher prices.... this just tells me that there really is no real money or wealth, just the theory of it... if prices have to continue to rise to keep the wealthy wealthy, then either that means money is worth less, or money is worthless....

1 Week ago I paid $5.43 / ft for 1.75" X .120 DOM from Patton's steel supply in Hesperia. Better than the $5.98 a FT i was quoted a week before that. Still shit compared to what it was from 2014-2021 where it didn't really go up or down much if any, which was much easier to quote jobs since steel quotes were good for a week and didn't vary much anyways. NOW quotes are good for 24 hrs.

IMS in Riverside just quoted me for 100ft of 1.75 and 100 ft of 2" .120 tube on both. 1.75" = $4.86/Ft and 2" = $6.49/FT said If i ordered over 500 ft total I could drop prices about $0.45-$0.50/FT for both sizes

~$6.50/foot for 1.75x.120 today. @ 50 feet $16/foot for 2"x.250 today. @ 20 feet

Total order for all sizes was $1575, so not a small quantity up charge.

Paid $450 for a 4x8 sheet of 3/16 P+O, and another $260 for a 4x8 sheet of 12GA P+O, and of course, $71 to Jay Inslee on that.
Which supplier did you use? Looks like a good price, and sounds like you are happy with the quality. I'm also in Seattle-Tacoma area and am about to buy DOM for a cage build and would appreciate the info. Thanks!

Which supplier did you use? Looks like a good price, and sounds like you are happy with the quality. I'm also in Seattle-Tacoma area and am about to buy DOM for a cage build and would appreciate the info. Thanks!
Those Guys Rod and Customs in Bremerton is where I get my tube, He orders from Scott Industries down in Chehalis?. Those Guys charges ~$1/foot upcharge on his cost to the customer, but I don't do enough volume or have a business to set up an account, so it works out. They have a truck every Thursday that runs up the peninsula.

Plate was from interwest Metal in tacoma.

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated! I’m at the north end of Seattle, but will make the drive if I don’t find a good nearby source. I dig your Jeepster build- it’s really coming together great!

Top Back Refresh