What's new

Cutting brakes Q

No way

Viking Mothfukle
Member Number
Loc
Under the bus
Planning to run right/left cutting brakes off a stock vehicle M/C through two solenoid valves. (line locks)
But, being the tard I am, I got to thinking :homer:
I wanted to plumb both MC outlets through a T-piece and then split left/right trough yet another T.
The thought being that the MC is set up for F/R, not L/R and proportioned with less pressure on the rear port.

But, if I run both MC ports through the same line.. fuck.. will one mess with the other or will I get the combined pressure through the one line?

Pretty sure I'm retarded, I just can't figure out which way :laughing:

That way if you have a brake line failure anywhere you loose all brakes. No go for me.

Not an issue. I'll be running e-brakes on separate calipers. Class rule.

My only concern is whether or not this will work as intended.

I think it'll work just fine.

I just don't understand the purpose of it vs plumbing it in a classic way. You don't need pressure valves since the drivetrain of a 4wd will balance the forces on it's own.

Purpose is simply to be able to brake both wheels on one side only and I've got a stock MC/vacuum booster installed already.
I'm poor and cheap :grinpimp:

Why would you want to brake both wheels on one side? If you brake just the rear wheel, it will turn more sharply. Both brakes will be a pull.

Why would you want to brake both wheels on one side? If you brake just the rear wheel, it will turn more sharply. Both brakes will be a pull.
Tight and highly uneven woodland terrain. Gotta brake whatever has traction

Tight and highly uneven woodland terrain. Gotta brake whatever has traction
just curious
every rand a tractor with turning brakes?

it will pivot on a wheel, but dragging the front end I would think would be a hinderance .....no?

A few moon buggies were plumbed for tank steer. Works great.

The ones I saw had some type of dual master cylinder not tandem so I can't give a good input on the OPs setup, except that in theory it should work.

Never know 'till you try.

just curious

it will pivot on a wheel, but dragging the front end I would think would be a hinderance .....no?
Tractors usually have enough steering angle that you're barely dragging it if at all.

just curious

No, never a tractor. Have driven several buggies/rigs with this type of brake setup - it's quite common over here.

How are they plumbing it, if it's common ?
Sometimes it's best to mimick what works.

Usually hydroboost means a tandem master, like you have.

I'm a little confused.

The thought being that the MC is set up for F/R, not L/R and proportioned with less pressure on the rear port.
I thought most MC's had same size piston F/R and thus same pressure? Maybe run 4 line locks, one for each corner, and activate them in any combination?

I thought most MC's had same size piston F/R and thus same pressure? Maybe run 4 line locks, one for each corner, and activate them in any combination?
They do? In that case I could run one side off of either MC-port.
I just ASSumed they'd setup the MC so that the rears got less pressure.

4 line locks is an option

Most systems I have dealt with have a proportioning valve separate from the MC that reduces pressure in the rear line. I'd say step 1 is to determine exactly what you have for a MC.

Top Back Refresh