What's new

Coronavirus (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2)

Wait wait wait I thought the asymptomatic spreaders were going to be the downfall of the human race and we had to shut everything to save the species?

Huh would you look at that.

If I've learned one thing from all this stupidity is that no one knows anything, not even the so-called experts. Not a fucking thing.

Kevin

If I've learned one thing from all this stupidity is that no one knows anything, not even the so-called experts. Not a fucking thing.

Kevin

one moment

*ahem*

BULLSHIT! :flipoff2:

i'd quote myself, but that board died......When the 'shutdowns' were first getting announced, the notion of "fuck statewide lockdowns, keep the focus local if/when hotspots pop up" and "symptomatic spread is significantly more likely than asymptomatic" and "the damage to the economy and to people as fallout from economic damage greatly outweigh the covid risk" were all stated.

There were some experts saying those things, there were many reasonable people saying those things. Those comments were "fact checked" censored and shouted down en masse!

Who has consistently been wrong? the politicians using obviously unrealistic data and extrapolations. The fucking 80% "majority of people polled" who thought all this shit was a good idea and should be expanded? Eat evernoobs flacid dick

Kevin

I was saying this is all stupid and was being shouted down by my professional peers, workplace safety people, that I was going to kill evreyones grandma. I think this whole ordeal really shoots holes in the client scientists arguments and hopefully wakes people up and to switch on their critical thinking abilities. My hope was shot down when people were defending looters recently.

WHO has come back out and said that was a misunderstanding.

Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, who made the original comment at a W.H.O. briefing on Monday, said that it was based on just two or three studies and that it was a “misunderstanding” to say asymptomatic transmission is rare globally.
“I was just responding to a question, I wasn’t stating a policy of W.H.O. or anything like that,” she said.
Dr. Van Kerkhove said that the estimates of transmission from people without symptoms come primarily from models, which may not provide an accurate representation. “That’s a big open question, and that remains an open question,” she said.

Scientists had sharply criticized the W.H.O. for creating confusion on the issue, given the far-ranging public policy implications. Governments around the world have recommended face masks and social distancing measures because of the risk of asymptomatic transmission.

I do not trust one thing the WHO says at this point. The CDC is currently under a microscope and knows it. I do personally believe that asymptotic people don't spread it but I will wait till more “reliable” sources confirm it. I personally am not worried and haven't been since about week 2 or 3 of this nonsense. But I trust the WHO less than a Ford 6 liter diesel hooked up to 12k pounds with a cheby 1500 trans behind it. :flipoff2:

WHO has come back out and said that was a misunderstanding.

Dr. Van Kerkhove said that the estimates of transmission from people without symptoms come primarily from models, which may not provide an accurate representation.

Most important line of the quote....

statistics, modeling, etc

are the same scientists who created the models for global warming creating the models for pandemics?

that she admitted that models don't work, imho, was important.

In this thread: a bunch of flunkies who never passed a single science class after elementary school who think they know science better than scientists. All the while blindly gobbling up soundbites and sensationalist headlines from the same reporters that they claim to distrust.

and about 18 rungs below, there's you pointing and whining

In this thread: a bunch of flunkies who never passed a single science class after elementary school who think they know science better than scientists. All the while blindly gobbling up soundbites and sensationalist headlines from the same reporters that they claim to distrust.

not at all. there was never a unified stance among the science on this, the majority of reasonable science on this has always been caveated with "this is models, models aren't real world, this is based on shaky early information, shaky information should never be the sole basis for policy"

it doesn't take a 4.5 GPA PHD twit to be able to apply critical thinking and reading comprehension.

Almost. The consensus was nobody knew a damn thing about it due to being brand new and they said so. The first recommendations were overkill because they were afraid this could turn into a worldwide MERS kind of outbreak. (which thankfully it wasn't.) The scientists were saying exactly what you pointed out, yet people here were taking the soundbites and headlines as gospel. And guess what? A bunch of clickbaity headlines written by muppets doesn't explain what the hell the scientists actually said.

people knew a bit about it in February, people had a pretty good idea about it's likelihood due to being a 'rona and our long history with them.

I can only imagine that you are trolling from the "masks are good, stay at home was justified, close business' for public safety" aspect. if not, please clarify.

the point is, though, caution is good and reasonable. policy measures, especially those that generate enforcement, are bad unless based on very sound concepts. Tie goes to the runner, nationally, we should always err on the side of liberty.

ACLU noted early on "compliance is historically higher to recommended guidelines than regulations". if they weren't such useless fuckwits, they would currently be embroiled in a flurry of lawsuits against states over this.

Mississippi and Our-Kansas were spot on the fuckin' money when they came out and said "we are offering everything we know so that reasonable adults can make fully informed decisions"

Washington and California were way out off the rails when they said "we are invoking emergency authority to deny public access to public space and remove the ability for personal decisions based on obvious bullshit extrapolations"

Almost. The consensus was nobody knew a damn thing about it due to being brand new and they said so. The first recommendations were overkill because they were afraid this could turn into a worldwide MERS kind of outbreak. (which thankfully it wasn't.) The scientists were saying exactly what you pointed out, yet people here were taking the soundbites and headlines as gospel. And guess what? A bunch of clickbaity headlines written by muppets doesn't explain what the hell the scientists actually said.

Most of non-scientists were very cautious at the beginning. Very early on it became clear their models were wrong and they just kept doubling down on them. By their models We were going to have bodies being left in the streets inside of a month with a mortality rate of between 3.5-15% depending on the mouthpiece. Yet after that month was up and there was not a significant body count anyone that questioned why was labeled and censored from anything google owned. Doctors and Nurses were censored from YouTube because they disagreed with what the WHO was saying. Retractions are being quietly printed now in newspapers saying opps sorry. This is SOP by whoever or whatever Is in charge of any crisis.

I have to go get tested tomorrow.

One of our workers on one of my job sites popped positive today, so the whole job site is shut down. All the workers have to test negative before they can return.

The dumbass that tested positive had felt sick for a week, but continued coming to work because he didn't want to miss any days...

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/04/coronavirus-quaratine-travel-110750

The Trump administration’s quarantine and travel ban in response to the Wuhan coronavirus could undercut international efforts to fight the outbreak by antagonizing Chinese leaders, as well as stigmatizing people of Asian descent, according to a growing chorus of public health experts and lawmakers.

The World Health Organization’s top official on Tuesday repeated concern that moves that interfere with transportation and trade could harm efforts to address the crisis

"This is a virus that happened to pop up in China. But the virus doesn’t discriminate between Asian versus non-Asian,” said Rep. Ami Bera (D-Calif.), a former emergency room physician who will preside overCongress' first hearing on the outbreak on Wednesday. “In our response we can’t create prejudices and harbor anxieties toward one population."

World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Tuesday that widespread travel bans and restrictions weren’t needed to stop the outbreak and could "have the effect of increasing fear and stigma, with little public health benefit." Union leaders separately called for a coordinated government response and warned authorities against profiling people of Asian descent while addressing the threat

Conservative lawmakers who for weeks have called for a travel ban and mandatory quarantine order say the administration's response is in the public’s interest.

Voluntary measures and education usually work better than edicts that may lead people to lie about their symptoms and travel history, and encourage countries to conceal outbreaks, public health experts say. In addition, travel restrictions hurt economies and divert public health resources into enforcing a ban that may not be useful at preventing the spread of infection, according to Saad Omer, director of the Yale Institute of Global Health.

“We shouldn’t have an antagonistic relationship with the Chinese. We should be working hand in hand,” he said. Besides the diplomatic blowback, he said, the travel ban “probably doesn’t make sense,” since the outbreak has already spread to several other countries.

“At this juncture, it’s going to be very hard to contain the virus,” Bera told POLITICO, noting that his priority now is to get CDC’s epidemiologists into China to study the origin of the pandemic.

Bera added that the mandatory quarantines “may be overkill,”

Because epidemics feed feelings of powerlessness, politicians may feel they have to “do something,” Yale's Omer said. But a more sober approach is to convey messages that make people feel they’re part of the solution, like urging hand washing, staying home if they feel ill or getting a flu shot — which targets a disease that currently poses a much bigger threat than coronavirus to the U.S. population.

Meanwhile, the American Civil Liberties Union has warned that the administration's measures infringe on civil rights. Any detention of travelers or citizens must be “scientifically justified and no more intrusive on civil liberties than absolutely necessary,” said Jay Stanley, an ACLU senior policy analyst.

said Howard Markel, a physician and medical historian at the University of Michigan. U.S. quarantines are “not optimal,” he said, but “so much more nuanced and precision oriented.”

t

article from February 4th, 2020

Thoughts? Wife’s cousin got served with these today after she tested positive. Heard second hand wife’s friends relative got served too.

Talk about big brother IN the house!

F3CD185B-0497-4005-BF7E-1BEF06FA396D.jpeg

Thoughts? Wife’s cousin got served with these today after she tested positive. Heard second hand wife’s friends relative got served too.

Talk about big brother IN the house!

Texas, land of liberty and small government.

Last edited:
My dad came back into the states from a vacation in El Salvador and Nicaragua, several yrs ago. I forget why or how he was tested, but an organism/bug had been detected in his digestive tract that had never been seen by the CDC, here. They logged the data, blood type, dates and locations of probable infection, and supplied him with materials of where and when he would be seeing Dr's for additional appts.

Sent him on his way... no quarantine for being the host to a bug that was brand new to the United States. Hmm.

I have to go get tested tomorrow.

One of our workers on one of my job sites popped positive today, so the whole job site is shut down. All the workers have to test negative before they can return.

The dumbass that tested positive had felt sick for a week, but continued coming to work because he didn't want to miss any days...

If was fine enough to continue to work, he probably thought it was something else. 98% of cases are mild. I would've done the same thing.

I know several people in my small town who have it now. Most are having mild symptoms but everyone that I know lost their sense of taste.

My mom's 80yo friend and another couple in their 70s are managing it at home. One lady in her 40s is not doing well with double pneumonia. Don't know if she had underlying health conditions but she is not overweight.

One of my family members was exposed last week. He developed a mild sore throat a few days later that only lasted one day. He lost his sense of taste 3 days later and so far no other symptoms.

I have not heard of anyone getting stay at home orders here in TN.

Top Back Refresh