What's new

Cold weather gear for standing

Or is it rolling frostbite waiting to happen if you don't know how cold your toes are?

I was once camping with a guy that made a "hot seat" by shoveling coals out of the fire, then setting his camp chair over them. Seemed weird and dangerous, but might be a good solution for Frank.
When I first started wheeling a lot of the old timers did that. A lot of the women would also wrap a rock in a blanket that had been by the fire and take that into their tents. Never really seemed too dangerous. Now I would be a lot more cautious because I can’t feel the burn on my skin. That’s why I’m not supposed to use a heated blanket or heated seats.

Basically when I’m cold, my upper body is warm and my legs and feet are super cold to the touch. After I’m laying down under blankets for a couple hours the warm blood distributes and I warm up. whenever I’m sitting vertical though the bottom half of me turns frozen.

When I first started wheeling a lot of the old timers did that. A lot of the women would also wrap a rock in a blanket that had been by the fire and take that into their tents. Never really seemed too dangerous. Now I would be a lot more cautious because I can’t feel the burn on my skin. That’s why I’m not supposed to use a heated blanket or heated seats.
I'd be mostly worried that someone is gonna fall on the hot coals, either my 4 year old kid, or one of my drunk friends, probably the latter.

Basically when I’m cold, my upper body is warm and my legs and feet are super cold to the touch. After I’m laying down under blankets for a couple hours the warm blood distributes and I warm up. whenever I’m sitting vertical though the bottom half of me turns frozen.

This

Sunday I was outside in 30ish degree weather for 20 minutes tops. Came back inside, stayed sitting up for a couple hours, got back in bed and there arent enough blankets in the house to keep me from shivering in a 68 degree house. That cold blood really fucks me up

Refrigiwear/Baffin.

refrigiwear-0344-iron-tuff-insulated-work-coverall-sage-example-1087x1449_jpg_75.jpg
baff-f22-barrow_98570998_001_primary_jpg_75.jpg
I have a set of baffin boots and you'll want to take them off after 15 minutes if it's not -20*. I haven't worn mine in a decade. They're too hot for me. I let my dude borrow them for snow mobiling and he said they were too hot for that. Lol.

I prefer good, thin, multiple thermal layers, with insulated bib coveralls and an insulated carhart type jacket. Wool socks and an insulated boot.

Snagged the carhart gloves jeff555 sugested.... in the store they felt as warm as the fancy $100 ones and for 25 I can afford to loose or destroy them.
16741530442395122735981156809952.jpg

Also grabbed a couple pairs of these.
16741530697922915229869871200105.jpg

And the 2bb special wool flatbill with ear flaps

16741531002572284513170380002893.jpg
Excellent!:beer:

Remember: Loose-snug your boots/gloves/pants belt.

If you want/need short-term body warmth; do pushups until you're exhausted.
Or do jumping jacks until exhausted.
Or run/sprint in place until exhaust.

Growing up/living in S.Cal; I used to make fun of of those flatbill hat with ear flaps. Fargo didn't help:
b.org%2Ft%2Fp%2Fw780%2FuDiUopCUGVF00JVncsG4hZpaEw4.jpg

I move up to Idaho; those same hats are now a Godsend!:eek::beer:

I have a pair, my feet get cold in them if it's much below zero. I have heated socks which help.

Granted my feet get cold easy. Almost lost some toes several years ago. Looked almost like Mr Deeds foot.
I have a set of baffin boots and you'll want to take them off after 15 minutes if it's not -20*. I haven't worn mine in a decade. They're too hot for me. I let my dude borrow them for snow mobiling and he said they were too hot for that. Lol.

I prefer good, thin, multiple thermal layers, with insulated bib coveralls and an insulated carhart type jacket. Wool socks and an insulated boot.

I bought mine when I was on a tunnel boring job in canadialand. More specifically Calgary. There was a week of -30 to 40. It was miserable. They saved my ass there. Haven't worn them since.

It is currently 16 dwgrees outside. If I had to be out there shoveling snow I’d be wearing my old snowboard gear and mittens. Mittens keep your hands warmer because all your fingers help keep each other warm. Gloves suck for keeping your fingers warm.
If there wasn’t any wind I could probably deal with it in Jeans, a large coat, beanie, and a long sleeve. If the wind kicks up I want a face mask, and probably some wool layer under the jeans. Also wool socks. I have some nice Smartwool pair that feel just like normal socks but are warm as hell.

Rain coats won’t keep you warm they’ll keep you dry. I have a nice uninsulated raincoat from The North Face for my homo gay running shit when it rains. Works great for keeping me dry. Sucks dick for warmth. Actually if it sucked dick it would be warmer because it would be doing something to stay warm.

All I have to say is the amount of dudes in their onesies always makes me laugh.
I'm not a hardcore cold person beings a CA native, but I just have nice socks and a jacket, that seems to help me live out there.

Excellent!:beer:

Remember: Loose-snug your boots/gloves/pants belt.

If you want/need short-term body warmth; do pushups until you're exhausted.
Or do jumping jacks until exhausted.
Or run/sprint in place until exhaust.

Growing up/living in S.Cal; I used to make fun of of those flatbill hat with ear flaps. Fargo didn't help:
b.org%2Ft%2Fp%2Fw780%2FuDiUopCUGVF00JVncsG4hZpaEw4.jpg

I move up to Idaho; those same hats are now a Godsend!:eek::beer:
"I'll make ya some eggs. Gotta have a breakfast."

Never have to pull your dong out when it's cold again!
8265.jpg

...I guess unless you want to, then who am I to kink shame?

Most years when we're standing around on the trails til 11 pm not moving much, I'll wear thermals under my regular pants and shirt, a flannel, and my carhartt jacket over that. Add some gloves and a warm beanie and I've been good to go. If its a really cold year, I upgrade to a fleece-lined flannel. Some of the guys in our group went with the big ol Carhart zip up suits and said they were amazing. I wouldn't use one of those enough to justify buying it though. Last year a few went the heated jacket route and loved it as long as their batteries held out. I bought one for my wife to use this year.

Around camp I do pretty much the same thing but minus the thermals.

Last time we were out tent camping and it was cold as balls, a few people from our group would boil water, then put it in a nalgene and stuff it at the bottom of their sleeping bag to sleep.

So Koh is comming up and every year I slightly improve on my cold weather gear and still freeze miserably while standing around drinking or whatever. I have some $100ish thermals that ill wear under whatever else I pile on... usually jeans and a long sleeve tshirt, followed by a hoodie, followed by a carhart. Ill wear 2 pairs of socks and my danner work boots.

What am I doing wrong and how do I improve my beer drinking experience in 10-30* weather?
Oh yeah, and where are you camping? Tenting it or got an RV lined up?

My second favorite movie of all time. Second, only to Stand by Me.
Such a noir/dark movie, yet so funny.:laughing::eek:

I had a patient once where her daughter accompanied her.
After drawing her blood, while I was transferring said blood to test tubes, patient and daughter were chatting.
Daughter; making a point, said in a Norwegian-accented raised voice, "Don't cha know?!":lmao:

I started LOL; I turned around and asked, "Was that a genuine response?!":lmao:

Yep; patient and family are from N. Dakota!:laughing::smokin:

Such a noir/dark movie, yet so funny.:laughing::eek:

I had a patient once where her daughter accompanied her.
After drawing her blood, while I was transferring said blood to test tubes, patient and daughter were chatting.
Daughter; making a point, said in a Norwegian-accented raised voice, "Don't cha know?!":lmao:

I started LOL; I turned around and asked, "Was that a genuine response?!":lmao:

Yep; patient and family are from N. Dakota!:laughing::smokin:
The writing is pure genius. Love some Cohen Bros, but that one is by far my favorite of their's.

I will say it is cold as shit out here this year. Hopefully it warms up in the next week.

I wore a ton of layers on the top. And I think the heater in the Jeep was cranked the whole time.

Last night it was 32degrees. F that!

It is currently 16 dwgrees outside. If I had to be out there shoveling snow I’d be wearing my old snowboard gear and mittens. Mittens keep your hands warmer because all your fingers help keep each other warm. Gloves suck for keeping your fingers warm.
If there wasn’t any wind I could probably deal with it in Jeans, a large coat, beanie, and a long sleeve. If the wind kicks up I want a face mask, and probably some wool layer under the jeans. Also wool socks. I have some nice Smartwool pair that feel just like normal socks but are warm as hell.

Rain coats won’t keep you warm they’ll keep you dry. I have a nice uninsulated raincoat from The North Face for my homo gay running shit when it rains. Works great for keeping me dry. Sucks dick for warmth. Actually if it sucked dick it would be warmer because it would be doing something to stay warm.

He's talking about rain gear, not a shell for walking dogs for an hour when its drizzling.

A head to toe rubber suit. Bib style pants, long jacket, a hoodie and a stanfield under that and you can fall over and sleep wherever.

He's talking about rain gear, not a shell for walking dogs for an hour when its drizzling.

A head to toe rubber suit. Bib style pants, long jacket, a hoodie and a stanfield under that and you can fall over and sleep wherever.
An uninsulated shell isn’t going to keep you warm. It will keep you dry. It won’t do shit for standing around in 20 mph wind when it’s 30 degrees and colder.

Hoodie, jacket AND a rain coat will work better than wearing a rain coat in a wind storm.

Top Back Refresh