What's new

Cold weather gear for standing

Polyester and spandex won’t keep you warm. I worse something similar today running when it was 35 with the sun out. No fucking way I’d trust those sitting in the cold.

Wool. It helps keep you warm.

Edit: fleece can also keep you warmer than polyester in my experience.
Fleece is constructed of polyester, dipshit.

Yeah don't remember having that much of an issue at koh and I have nothing for natural insulation.

I never liked bibs much personally
I dont know... i do great down to about 35 in a hoodie and jeans and below that it seems like I freeze no matter what I wear..... so I assume whatever im wearing is wrong.

My recipe for staying warm since 2009.

Belleville C795's

Icebreaker Merino wool socks

Under Armour Long johns

Carhartt Fleece Lined jeans

Under Armour Base shirt

Random Hoodie that can get dirty or greasy but throw away if it gets wet

Fleece knit sweater
Like the Patagonia Better Sweater but any brand works

North Face Windproof Fleece jacket
Had it since college. Every trip out there has a pic of me wearing it. Even raced in it from the start to mile 50 in 2011, was friggen cold that morning.

Carhartt Long quilt lined coat
Old and they don't make it anymore

Gloves, and Extra gloves from Marshalls to give to somebody who forgets gloves, and another pair under the seat of the truck staying warm so you can switch out when your hands get cold holding beer.

Hat and neck gaiter for dust are a must.

In the 'wear-what-you-got' mode; wearing sweat pants under your pants helps.
Knee-high socks helps as well.

Wearing a skull cap and a neck gator under a hoodie with the hood up/on drastically slows 50+% body heat loss.

We had a rod buster locally wearing sweats under carhartts. Somehow swung a load of rebar into a power line and got zapped. He was smoking pretty bad, turned out the sweats were on fire under his carhartts.:eek:

Fleece is constructed of polyester, dipshit.
I melted the shit out a nice fleece coat when I got too close to a fire.
My recipe for staying warm since 2009.

Belleville C795's

Icebreaker Merino wool socks

Under Armour Long johns

Carhartt Fleece Lined jeans

Under Armour Base shirt

Fleece knit sweater
Like the Patagonia Better Sweater but any brand works

North Face Windproof Fleece jacket
Had it since college. Every trip out there has a pic of me wearing it. Even raced in it from the start to mile 50 in 2011, was friggen cold that morning.

Carhartt Long quilt lined coat
Old and they don't make it anymore

Gloves, and Extra gloves from Marshalls to give to somebody who forgets gloves, and another pair under the seat of the truck staying warm so you can switch out when your hands get cold holding beer.

Hat and neck gaiter for dust are a must.
What's special about Under Armor? $60 for long johns? I get Fruit of the loons or hanes her ways (haha) for $15-20 a pair. Wear them all winter, so have 15-20 pairs between home and work.

They are the normal waffle pattern ones that have been around for probably 50+ years.

I forgot, this is part of my keeping warm at JV system. I'll wear an expensive down jacket under an old hoodie during the day. It provides a semi-disposable layer of protection for the down jacket. Once it gets cold, the Carhartt jacket either replaces the hoodie, or goes over the hoodie.

I find that if my fingers or toes get cold, it's really hard to get them warm again. The insulated leather gloves keep the beer from getting my fingers cold. If I need to take my gloves off to help someone fix their race car, I can set the gloves by the fire and they'll be warm when I'm done trying to help.

I dont know... i do great down to about 35 in a hoodie and jeans and below that it seems like I freeze no matter what I wear..... so I assume whatever im wearing is wrong.

Cotton man, don't wear any of it. It's not all bad but jeans aren't great imo. Wool or polar fleece, this is what I take and has worked fine for me.
Pants:
BDU, military style cargo or similar heavy woven pants
Carry a wind/water barrier layer that I can slip on or off and is packable
I don't wear long johns unless it's zero or lower, don't seem to get that cold in the legs and with long john overheat really quickly. I probably should as it's noticeable. but they are harder to shed if overheating.

I go heavy on the torso
Wool or polar fleece waffle tshirt
Same material - long sleeve zipped
Fleece light weight jacket if mid temps, lower to mid temps then a medium weight fleece
Then a packable wind/water barrier

Gloves are a crap shoot for me, usually several pairs of mechanics or shooting gloves and rotate them and keep hands in pockets. Keep one set inside coat and then rotate when hands get cold.

Already covered socks and head.

What's special about Under Armor? $60 for long johns? I get Fruit of the loons or hanes her ways (haha) for $15-20 a pair. Wear them all winter, so have 15-20 pairs between home and work.

They are the normal waffle pattern ones that have been around for probably 50+ years.

Nothing, other then it's expensive China stuff imo. Rather buy from Duckworth, Forloh, Beyond, or any of the other US made stuff that is similar price points.

I forgot, this is part of my keeping warm at JV system. I'll wear an expensive down jacket under an old hoodie during the day. It provides a semi-disposable layer of protection for the down jacket. Once it gets cold, the Carhartt jacket either replaces the hoodie, or goes over the hoodie.

I find that if my fingers or toes get cold, it's really hard to get them warm again. The insulated leather gloves keep the beer from getting my fingers cold. If I need to take my gloves off to help someone fix their race car, I can set the gloves by the fire and they'll be warm when I'm done trying to help.
fire tend to burn stuff, even the heat man melt or break down materials. stick them inside your coat or pants and let the body heat warm them up.

Dunno what's special, it's just what I snagged for $25 at TJ Maxx in November one time when I was freezing my ass off after a day on a boat and planning to go out and race again the next day. They're thin, don't bunch up, have a thin layer of microfleece on the inside that lifts moisture and never feel wet from sweat.

I race sailboats year round and wear them under a pair of non insulated bibs down to about 20 degrees. Not saying they're the best or anything, they're just what I have and seem to work.

Getting wet with sweat is what kills you, the UA pants and shirt do a good job of wicking moisture away.

I had some Patagonia Capilene but somehow the crotch always got baggy and bunched up and the back would fall down like the elastic wasn't strong enough. $75 wasted.

There's no bad weather, only bad clothing

Also, wool and fleece will keep you warm even when wet.

Snagged the carhart gloves jeff555 sugested.... in the store they felt as warm as the fancy $100 ones and for 25 I can afford to loose or destroy them.
16741530442395122735981156809952.jpg

Also grabbed a couple pairs of these.
16741530697922915229869871200105.jpg

And the 2bb special wool flatbill with ear flaps

16741531002572284513170380002893.jpg

i dis like the crazy hats that go over my ears because some of them have a weird liner that amplifies all the noise from chewing or what ever. weird i know but a standard stocking cap is all i like in the cold

How long will the hand warmers they stay warm for?
14hr 50min on low.

Turns out mine is labeled AMAFOREST, same chinese piece with a different sticker.

Never kept track so I tested it last night/today.
Got a full charge, let it sit for a little while then turned it on at 1:18AM and set it at it's lowest setting, 40°C. It shut off at 4:08PM. Obviously didn't check it while sleeping, but felt it every half hour/hour while it was on my desk at work and the heat never felt different at any point, all the way up until it shut off. On low is good enough against bare skin for me most of the time. May do some more tests of medium (50°C), high (60°C), the flashlight, and charging capabilities this weekend.

I was just at Costco and saw Bluetooth battery operated heated socks. They were $70 a pair and I thought about it because it is cold on the Lakebed.

I was just at Costco and saw Bluetooth battery operated heated socks. They were $70 a pair and I thought about it because it is cold on the Lakebed.
I know youve mentioned having a really hard time regulating body heat. Can you tell when you are cold... or are you just rolling hypothermia waiting to happen?

Or is it rolling frostbite waiting to happen if you don't know how cold your toes are?

I was once camping with a guy that made a "hot seat" by shoveling coals out of the fire, then setting his camp chair over them. Seemed weird and dangerous, but might be a good solution for Frank.

I know youve mentioned having a really hard time regulating body heat. Can you tell when you are cold... or are you just rolling hypothermia waiting to happen?
I can definitely tell when I’m cold. My skin temperature drops a lot, the muscles in my back tighten and often I just shiver and shake. Being on the lake bed when it’s not a very warm year has been a challenge. Even sleeping in heated toy haulers has been a problem.

At least the jeep heater is a blast furnace!

Last edited:
I never liked big winter gloves, I have sweaty hands and I always end up wet and cold. The best thing I've found is the cheap brown jersey gloves that come 5 pairs for $5. I wear a pair under a pair of white knit gloves or just two pairs of jerseys and I stay dry and warm all day

At least the jeep heater is a blast furnace!
If there's one thing jeep got right it's the heater. -10° on the highway with a leaking soft top and my tj would still cook you. Now that it has a hard top the blend knob never goes over half way to heat

Top Back Refresh