What's new

Cold weather gear for standing

I have some darn toughs. I like them, but I also think I bought the wrong size. My boot size was right on the cusp of med and large. I figured too tight would be better than too loose, but may have been wrong.

My favorite warm socks are fox river. But heated is next level :laughing:

You need something to stop the wind. As a guy who sits in a tree stand for hours at a time, wind is the biggest killer for me. Wool socks ftw.
When my old man was a NYPD cop walking a beat in the thirties and forties he could be standing in one spot in freezing weather for his entire shift. Of course, cops had to wear a certain uniform that included regular black leather shoes. His feet could get really cold. He would wear a thin white cotton sock and then a black wool sock over it. He had the Shoemaker resole his shoes with a layer of rubber and then extra thick leather sole on top. His attire including the shoes met Department standards and it helped a lot.

Swaddle onesie!
I do call my insulated coveralls a "onesie", for the record :lmao:

Years back when my son was very young, I had a pair of insulated coveralls on to head outside. He said I looked like a bear, and from then on in family circles, insulated coveralls were referred to as the "bear suit".

Yeah, cool starry bra.

I went the bib route and got a pair of the Carhartt Yukons. Really warm but really stiff plus they don't have a short and fat version so the mid section fits good but the legs are long. For jacket, I just buaght the Carhartt Yukon and so far it's been really warm and cuts the wind down. For shoes, I learned quick that the Merrills with the ventilation don't do well when it's windy :laughing: but something that'll hold up to climbing up rocks and stuff.

So Koh is comming up and every year I slightly improve on my cold weather gear and still freeze miserably while standing around drinking or whatever. I have some $100ish thermals that ill wear under whatever else I pile on... usually jeans and a long sleeve tshirt, followed by a hoodie, followed by a carhart. Ill wear 2 pairs of socks and my danner work boots.

What am I doing wrong and how do I improve my beer drinking experience in 10-30* weather?
1) I put 15mm felt soles in my cold weather boots.

2) Over 50% of body heat escapes through the head and neck.
Because the blood vessels up there do not constrict; they stay wide open.
Close up the hood opening and you'll greatly reduce the heat loss.

3) Body heat loss due to convection (wind/breeze).
I wear a windbreaker over my base layer/then put on a mid layer/and finally an over layer.
Said winder breaker close to the body slows body heat loss.

4) In cold weather; loose-tie your boots.
Blood needs to flow as freely as possible to and from your feet.

oh right and some long underwear
wool if really cold, cotton is fine for this relatively warm weather we've been getting lately though and is a lot cheaper

for coveralls, walls brand is what I like, they're polyester blend so they wear for a decade or so worth of winters, while carhartts that are 100% cotton get frayed within a year.

I can't believe only one of you mothfockles suggested rain gear. Good thick rain pants stop the wind dead. couple with long johns and wool pants if you get really cold. Poly long john shirt, thick tee, sweater, hoody, wool beanie that covers the ears, put hood of hoody over the beanie then rain jacket large enough to move freely. Footwear as others have suggested. Don't forget gloves or ski mittens if you are really cold.

Insulated bibs.
This and Wool hat, coat and socks. If your prone to being cold add some silk weights as a base layer. Maybe try a scarf:flipoff2:

ETA
If your just standing still then Norwegian Sunsuit. Bibs and coat. Goggles if you wear contacts to keep the wind from drying them out. Grow a beard, and bring extra gloves and socks.

I find that keeping my lower body warm is more important than upper body, my go to winter fishing / snow outfit consists Flannel lined carharts over a base layer with gold quality ($$) smartwool socks. upper body: Base layer, & hoodie with a a wind stopping jacket.

but if you’re getting cold, you’re not drinking fast enough…

You need something to stop the wind. As a guy who sits in a tree stand for hours at a time, wind is the biggest killer for me. Wool socks ftw.

Yes a nice wind layer does wonders, easy to pack to stick in a bag. Like a force multiplier to a couple of warm layers.

get some good quality rain gear. i can fall asleep (pass out drunk) in mine outside after a night of drinking and still wake up toasty warm the next morning on a beach in 20 degree weather.

Rain gear doesn't breathe well for me anyways, always get clammy.

If your boots are steel toe, don't bring them.

Doubling up on socks doesn't do shit. Your feet need to move to create heat. Get a quality wool sock. I actually prefer thin wool socks over thick.

I have some darn toughs. I like them, but I also think I bought the wrong size. My boot size was right on the cusp of med and large. I figured too tight would be better than too loose, but may have been wrong.

My favorite warm socks are fox river. But heated is next level :laughing:

Fox river as well, never have much issue with socks too tight but I have laced my boots up to tight. I like thicker socks and then tighten till just a snug fit. Mostly fixed my always cold feet. And I pack an extra pair of socks and swap during the day.

Already mentioned but a neck gaiter and hood or skull cap do help as well.

Polar fleece long johns, bib overalls, t shirt, waffle knit, Hoodie, stanfield, if you really need more a work jacket of whatever brand turns your crank. I don't ever wear heavy socks in boots, just regular dri fit, and pack boots if I expect to freeze, 2-400g insulated boots if I'll be moving at all.

But I mean, you're not talking super cold. You'd be surprised by what the hoodie and stanfield will add for warmth.

henley-front_3000.jpg
/\
Stanfield. Don't leave home without at least one. Mine go from a goin out stanfield with no holes, to a 1/2 sleeve belly shirt. Layer as needed.

1) I put 15mm felt soles in my cold weather boots.

2) Over 50% of body heat escapes through the head and neck.
Because the blood vessels up there do not constrict; they stay wide open.
Close up the hood opening and you'll greatly reduce the heat loss.

3) Body heat loss due to convection (wind/breeze).
I wear a windbreaker over my base layer/then put on a mid layer/and finally an over layer.
Said winder breaker close to the body slows body heat loss.

4) In cold weather; loose-tie your boots.
Blood needs to flow as freely as possible to and from your feet.
Also, get a few pairs of Tyvek coveralls. They keep your clothes clean and do a great job of keeping the wind out.

And if I was trying not to look like a goof I'd wear two pair long John bottoms & Denim jeans, a long John shirt a flannel and a sherpa lined jacket, (preferably denim:laughing:). Waterproof insulated boots with regular socks.

Top Back Refresh