What's new

Cold weather gear for standing

2big bronco

Og irate
Member Number
Loc
Prunedale ca
So Koh is comming up and every year I slightly improve on my cold weather gear and still freeze miserably while standing around drinking or whatever. I have some $100ish thermals that ill wear under whatever else I pile on... usually jeans and a long sleeve tshirt, followed by a hoodie, followed by a carhart. Ill wear 2 pairs of socks and my danner work boots.

What am I doing wrong and how do I improve my beer drinking experience in 10-30* weather?

Insulated coveralls lets your body parts all share the heat. Block the wind with your outside layer. Keep your feet moving, even just shifting around is better than standing flat footed on cold ground. Layers work better than one piece of $$$ gear

If your boots are steel toe, don't bring them.

Doubling up on socks doesn't do shit. Your feet need to move to create heat. Get a quality wool sock. I actually prefer thin wool socks over thick.

Refrigiwear/Baffin.

refrigiwear-0344-iron-tuff-insulated-work-coverall-sage-example-1087x1449_jpg_75.jpg
baff-f22-barrow_98570998_001_primary_jpg_75.jpg

Sounds like you need less layers. Piling on doesn't do much if they fit tightly together and your body can't warm the air between each layer. I can stay plenty warm standing around all day in shorts and a tee shirt with bibs/carharts and a loose-ish fitting jacket over the top.

Edit: To subybaja's post I bought a lightweight one piece suite for riding last year and that thing'll bake you out no matter the temp.

insulated bibs and a heated vest/hoodie/jacket. The last time I was there I wore shorts almost the whole time lol it wasnt too cold though

Are you guys talking the full onesie style bibs or suspender style?

Never heard of full insulated coveralls being called bibs. I hate full coveralls, you rack yer nuts everytime you reach for something. Bibs and a sweatshirt provide optimum warmth and flexibility for winter work, even if the work is right arm curls.

Heated vest or heated jacket. My Milwaukee hooded coat will bake me out when it’s zero degrees.

If you don’t want to go the heated route, snowmobile gear is incredibly warm and is windproof.

Are you guys talking the full onesie style bibs or suspender style?

Recomendations on wool socks?
Full onesie. I wear the cheapest one my dad could find 20+ years ago and it's good down past zero. I have the top of the line super arctic Carhartt and it's straight up too hot for anything we get here. Even just sitting on the tractor it's uncomfortably hot

Darn tough for socks. Love em

Edit ive found I like darn tough over smart wool or any other similar $$ sock.

Last edited:
I'll wear a Nike DRI fit long sleeve, a wool long sleeve over that , hoodie, then rain gear. Depends for the weather on my bottoms but it's usually wool socks,wool leg layer, and jeans or rain gear. For long hours of fuckery, it's the same layers plus insulated bibs, then jacket over bibs rain or hoodie depending on precipitation

Bibs only go on if it's snow and sub 20*. Down to thirty I can go without bibs and my normal layer setup.

My wife bought my electric hand warmers for Christmas. They're pretty neat.

Top Back Refresh