What's new

CJ7 w/ all the goodies but my frame is shot. What do I swap it all over to?

I’ll save you the effort and trouble, I’ll come take it off your hands and you won’t have to worry about it.

If it was going to live on a trailer, I would go with a goatbuilt or that WOD chassis. I don't get the 80 love, especially for wheeling down here in the SE.

Biggest issue with a 3rd generation 4runner is Dat booty. Obviously you can move the axle back, but it's not super easy to do clean.

I don't understand why you want to go full body from a jeep, just to knock all the glass out anyway, but if you don't care about body damage, and want the look of a 4 door suv, then go for it.

Your best bet will be anything but a toyota though. Nissan pathfinder, izusu rodeo, mitu montero, ect, should all have a nice boxed frame, but be pennies on the dollar cheaper.

Another one to consider, which might be the lightest of all. Suzuki sidekick/vitara/ geo/chevy tracker. The 99+ body is the se width as a 3rd generation 4runner, but they sit more upright and have much less overhang. I have a body you could have for free.

They also have basically 2x4 frame rails with a nice flat section from firewall to rear axle.
Got a buddy with a 1-ton 95 Pathfinder on 40’s for sale that would pretty well fit that bill of what he’d be looking for.

If it was going to live on a trailer, I would go with a goatbuilt or that WOD chassis. I don't get the 80 love, especially for wheeling down here in the SE.
Same here plus I think it would be cool to see one of those chassis running leaf springs.

What does it weigh? They are stupid heavy stock.
He claims 4500 but I don’t see how that’s possible considering other rig weights. It doesn’t have doors, glass (other than windshield) or back hatch so it’s a little lighter.

Was originally built by the spikey haired Canadian (Ian Johnson) on Xtreme4x4 and then he built it up from there.

Last edited:
He claims 4500 but I don’t see how that’s possible considering other rig weights. It doesn’t have doors, glass (other than windshield) or back hatch so it’s a little lighter.

Was originally built by the spiked haired Canadian (Ian Johnson) on Xtreme4x4 and then he built it up from there.
Yea no way that thing is 4500lbs! I have a pretty bare bones 1st gen Tacoma on cruiser axles and 37s and it's sitting a little over 5k with me and my tools in it ready to wheel!

Yea no way that thing is 4500lbs! I have a pretty bare bones 1st gen Tacoma on cruiser axles and 37s and it's sitting a little over 5k with me and my tools in it ready to wheel!
That’s what I’ve said as well. I weigh everything I own so I know actual weights instead of “well I think it weighs”.

Was originally built by the spiked haired Canadian (Ian Johnson) on Xtreme4x4 and then he built it up from there.

The red one he started building for the camera crew? The one with axletech portal outers?

Post pics!

That’s what I’ve said as well. I weigh everything I own so I know actual weights instead of “well I think it weighs”.
I used to guess as well:laughing: "the taco is 4000lbs TOPS. Took it to a scale empty and it was almost 5k:eek::lmao:

With all that, I'd suggest a mid size GM SUV, that you SAS and fabricobble your shit into.

Inspiration :flipoff2:
B6992A2F-5013-4525-9879-F02B3704F427.jpeg

D3392446-5E3B-48DB-BE36-F50C4D5A4891.jpeg

1CBA15D2-63BB-4109-9421-DF991CBB26B1.jpeg

Last edited:
The red one he started building for the camera crew? The one with axletech portal outers?

Post pics!
Yes on red one for the camera crew. Was on full width half ton axles without any portal parts. He ended up buying the Discount Datsun to steal the axles out of it and then scrapped the Datsun.

Dude, get a Jeepster commando.

The first gens had a 101" wheelbase, and second gens were 104"

Both have PLENTY of growing room front and back to lengthen the wheelbase..

Plenty of rollers out there for cheap

Here's a resto-mod I did a few years ago.
1000009010.jpg

Dude, get a Jeepster commando.

The first gens had a 101" wheelbase, and second gens were 104"

Both have PLENTY of growing room front and back to lengthen the wheelbase..

Plenty of rollers out there for cheap

Here's a resto-mod I did a few years ago.
1000009010.jpg
I like this idea and have been casually looking for one. You build the frame for yours or was the stock in decent enough shape to use?

Those things are way fucking bigger than an 80 series, pretty sure my current 80 isnt any bigger than a 4door wrangler
4 door wrangler is 116 wheelbase, Tahoe is also 116 wheelbase … just with a massive booty past that :lmao:

I wouldn’t describe 9” longer and 2” wider as “way fucking bigger” but to each their own

What’s it matter if every panel is going to be dented and there’s no glass in it?

I like this idea and have been casually looking for one. You build the frame for yours or was the stock in decent enough shape to use?
It was actually in decent shape from the grille back. Rebuilt the frame rails at the front end with 2x4 rect. tubing
1000009017.jpg
1000009016.jpg

One thing a lot of folks run into is the width between frame rails, but there are PLENTY of guys running LS engines and Atlas cases.

Facebook page- Hardcore Jeepster commando

Lots of builds and great info. There's two commandos that were in the 24 hrs to hell and back challenge.

4 door wrangler is 116 wheelbase, Tahoe is also 116 wheelbase … just with a massive booty past that :lmao:

I wouldn’t describe 9” longer and 2” wider as “way fucking bigger” but to each their own

What’s it matter if every panel is going to be dented and there’s no glass in it?

How do you figure a Tahoe is only 2" wider?

An 80 is not full-size.....

It matters because a full-size will just not physically fit the same places an 80 will.

I personally think the 80 body is too big for his goal so I'm definitely not sold on a Tahoe :flipoff2:

How do you figure a Tahoe is only 2" wider?

An 80 is not full-size.....

It matters because a full-size will just not physically fit the same places an 80 will.

I personally think the 80 body is too big for his goal so I'm definitely not sold on a Tahoe :flipoff2:
Just internet widths which I’m sure is to tip of mirrors

If every panel is going to be dented and no glass, I see track width as the bigger factor, which is moot point between the two.

I just thought this thread needed more pics :smokin:

Just internet widths which I’m sure is to tip of mirrors

If every panel is going to be dented and no glass, I see track width as the bigger factor, which is moot point between the two.

I just thought this thread needed more pics :smokin:

Agree to disagree I guess. Width and clearance at the rock sliders is a huge factor in rocks. This is why lot of buggies have narrow chassis compared to even jeeps and toyotas, but still wide track width.

Those rigs you posted are all sweet, just not what I would want for a dedicated crawler.

Top Back Refresh